Growing chillies

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)

1. Post
    Yeah one summer, they put out a heap of fruit so I'm not too fussed if they perish. The seeds live on!

2. Post
    Anyone seen jalapeņo seedlings for sale in Auckland if its too late to get some seeds underway?

3. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    Yeah one summer, they put out a heap of fruit so I'm not too fussed if they perish. The seeds live on!
    For sure, growing them is half the fun!

4. Post
    Spanked. wrote:
    Anyone seen jalapeņo seedlings for sale in Auckland if its too late to get some seeds underway?
    I bought a bunch of 'early jalapeno' seeds off trademe recently

5. Post
    So a bunch of my seeds have sprouted and are around 2-3cm big, with 2 leaves.. Do i wait for them to have more leaves before I repot? I read maybe wait until around 7cm tall before repotting?

6. Post
    I usually repot when they have 6 , or 4 good sized leaves

7. Post
    Thanks, at the moment they're in propogation trays, so each seed has it's own little approx 3cm x 3cm section, you reckon that will be ok to get them that big?

8. Post
    Should be fine, another thing to check for is the roots growing out the bottom, can be a other sign they're good to move

9. Post
    Soldier_Five wrote:
    Got to mitre 10 and get a propigation tray and some seed raising mix or peat pallets (I'm a fan of pallets).
    With the pallets I fill a bowl with room temp or slightly warm water (ideally boiled that has cooled,) I will then make a cup of tea, just bell tea, instead I chucking the tea bag away toss it in the water for a while then bin it, add the number or pallets to match you seed numbers,only the pallets have absorbed all the water.
    You'll notice the seeds have a wee pointy bit, place the seeds just below the surface of the pallets with the pointy bit facing up and bury, place the tray on a window sill that gets plenty of sun in a warm room, keep moist,once the roots start coming out of the pallets it's time to put them in a bigger pot with some quality potting mix, I will repot 3 or 4 times gradually getting bigger pots.
    Thanks!

10. Post
    Did my first repotting today of my jalapenos, stoked they are growing lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bHMFyH8.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	684.9 KB 
ID:	227675

11. Post
    Nice, I lost about half my seedlings ...

12. Post
    That sucks, how did that happen? Too cold? Lucky to have a conservatory in the new house which is pretty much like a green house, they seem to love them and don't need to leave them outside over night etc

13. Post
    I think it was mostly me mangling the transfer from seed raising tray to their first small pots. Most survived, some didn't. I planted out some of the seedlings straight in the garden as I had heaps - all but one perished.

I have a few good healthy plants still. Depending how the crop goes I might just go get some seedlings from people that know what they're doing.

14. Post
    Got loads of chilies sprouted, but I think all of my reapers are damping off which is frustrating because I was most excited to grow some superhots and the bhut jolokia didn't germinate

Are there any places that sell seedlings?

15. Post
    I only know of a plant shop in Cambridge that does, it's where I bought the reaper plant that I grew these seedlings from. Not sure how helpful that is.

16. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    Got loads of chilies sprouted, but I think all of my reapers are damping off which is frustrating because I was most excited to grow some superhots and the bhut jolokia didn't germinate

Are there any places that sell seedlings?
    I found my super hots a couple of years ago at bunnings lol, maybe I got lucky. Think i found bhut jolokia and trinidad scorpion

17. Post
    False alarm, they emerged and bent over heavily, but are doing fine after I laid toothpicks across the egg carton to stop them from touching the soil

Still no luck with the bhut jolokias so I might still look for seedlings.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	227722

18. Post
    Called into bunnings this AM and they had a few Scotch Bonnet plants, not the hottest pepper about but decent plant, could be worth checking your local

19. Post
    Might be helpful for others, but during October my chilli plants had hardly any leaves and were just some potted sticks, we thought it was just maybe its still too early yet but nah even small leaves would disappear the next day . So one night we went out there and saw a shitload of slugs/snails around them in the dark. So partner has been out there killing them with poison and beer traps and probably killed like 100-200 slugsover 2 weeks. 4 weeks later and now the plants have come back to life and bushy and heaps peppers starting to grow, so keep an eye out, even if one slug breeds it can be a real nuisance

20. Post
    Yeah i caught some bastard slugs in the act, they love the sweet young leaves. I've planted out my seedlings now, i have 5 reapers and 5 jalapenos in the ground now, still have a few seedlings in pots I need to find room for. Slug pellets, tomato food and seaweed feeds are now a weekly / bi-weekly job to keep them growing strong.

21. Post
    Anyone want to rate my growth/tips for max growth? if im potting up at the right time.

Name:	IMG_20191129_200009.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	227809

Left is like 4L, middle 10L, right 6L
    Serrano, cayenne and portuguese

Name:	IMG_20191129_200018.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	227810

Both 10L buckets, capsicum and birdseye

Name:	IMG_20191129_200025.jpg 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	227811
    Jalapeno.

Dirt is a mixture of potting/vege mix and sheep poos, give them a spray with seaweed spray every week or two,

22. Post
    Growth looks good so far. I read that they love tomato food, maybe chuck some of that in there. The packet should indicate the ratio for feed to soil.

23. Post
    Coffeeshop wrote:
    Anyone want to rate my growth/tips for max growth? if im potting up at the right time.

Name:	IMG_20191129_200009.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	227809

Left is like 4L, middle 10L, right 6L
    Serrano, cayenne and portuguese

Name:	IMG_20191129_200018.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	537.8 KB 
ID:	227810

Both 10L buckets, capsicum and birdseye

Name:	IMG_20191129_200025.jpg 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	227811
    Jalapeno.

Dirt is a mixture of potting/vege mix and sheep poos, give them a spray with seaweed spray every week or two,
    Soil is good, pots are a little on the small side. If you want maximum growth I would put them in a bigger pot. As for food as above they are in the same plant family as tomatoes so tomato food is great as it’s higher in Potassium ensuring good flower and fruit growth. I personally use liquid food as it is a bit more effective but you do need to apply it more often, every two weeks at this stage and up to once a week once fruit is developing.

24. Post
    Went to Oderings in Chch last week to get a heaps of chillis.
    They only had jalapeno, and they were about 10cm tall. Overpriced too.

I have to wait a little longer I guess. Their selection last year was massive, and the Jalapenos were already quite large.