The decline of the hospitality industry.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    op just aint cultured enough

2. Post
    I blame NCEA.

3. Post
    Mr M wrote:
    but in the past month alone I've had the following:
    Food forgotten about.
    Drinks forgotten about.
    Charged for three orders (in a party of two).
    Last restaurant I went to they forgot about both the drinks *and* the food, on the plus side they gave us the drinks for free. Also had the McDonalds on Queen St forget about my order.

4. Post
    When we went out for mothers day, the restaurant forgot to charge for one of the beers I had.

5. Post
    Haven't really had any bad experiences in Auckland, only bad one I can think of are Auckland bars charging $15 for a bottle of Rekorderlig but its only ever my metrosexual friends that order that stuff anyway so doesn't bother me too much.

6. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    When we went out for mothers day, the restaurant forgot to charge for one of the beers I had.
    Monsters!

7. Post
    Now just imagine if you had a look inside the kitchen, then you'd REALLY have something to complain about.

8. Post
    AC SLATER wrote:
    I thought this was about bars closing earlier
    Same. That's the real issue this thread should be about.

9. Post
    OP needs to goto Depot, on Federal Street if I recall? and put your name down for a counter seat at the back where the kitchen is. While you're waiting, leave your mobile number and have a drink across the road until they call you to let you know your table is ready. Definitely worth the wait, I used to go there at least once a month and the service there is on a whole nother level, not to mention the tapas and red wines. Anyone who's been there knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'd go back to Auckland just to hit up that place again

10. Post
    I remember the good old days when sexually harassing the serving staff was acceptable.

Oh how things have declined.

11. Post
    Psymmetry wrote:
    OP needs to goto Depot, on Federal Street if I recall? and put your name down for a counter seat at the back where the kitchen is. While you're waiting, leave your mobile number and have a drink across the road until they call you to let you know your table is ready. Definitely worth the wait, I used to go there at least once a month and the service there is on a whole nother level, not to mention the tapas and red wines. Anyone who's been there knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'd go back to Auckland just to hit up that place again
    Confirming the depot is the ****. Al Brown is a wizard

12. Post
    Worst wrote:
    That's what chips are for nab
    I wasn't able to mix it before dipping my chips though, the chips were too bendy

13. Post
    clip wrote:
    Confirming the depot is the ****. Al Brown is a wizard
    He's a legend. He's been there on the floor a few times I've been there, and he's always making sure everyone is having a good time. I've never seen someone love what they do as much as him.

14. Post
    I don't know about others but I tend to base my dining experience on four things, usually in this order:

1. Atmosphere
    2. Service
    3. Quality of food
    4. Drink selection

I've made an effort to try out a few different places in Auckland and I always seem to go back to just a few now, but a few off the top of my head; Depot, Nishiki, Kura, Tanuki's Cave, Late Night Diner for the deep fried oreos, Orleans, Cafe Hanoi, Everybody's. **** there's heaps of really decent restaurants in Auckland, if you're on a budget then I'd definitely Recommend Nishiki in Freemans Bay. $20 for a 2L Asahi can with your meal is pretty decent and real cheap good quality Japanese, awesome vibe for an average looking interior.

15. Post
    The hospitality industry in New Zealand does not pay much above minimum wage and NZ'ers don't tip so there is absolutely no incentive to provide great service.
    This is a massive generalisation for both cultures, but the Scottish who are known to be 'stingy' tip far far more and I have only been here 2.5 weeks. Base wage is feck all but you make about 1/2 to 3/4 of your wage back with tips. So NZ can go figure.

16. Post
    Tipping can stay right the **** out of NZ as far as I'm concerned

17. Post
    It's not tipping as in America, it's just tipping if the person does a better than average job or they get along with the person etc the fact is 95 % of people never ever tip in New Zealand so why would people on $14.50 ever bother going the extra mile when people just don't tip unless you work in a top place. Tips exist on all levels in most places in the world. But people that have a Groupon voucher to a place buying the house wine expect utmost service but this is New Zealander in a nutshell..

18. Post
    I was amazed by the customer service i received in Melbourne. Thought they do get paid res well?

19. Post
    OP should PM Mutton.

Mutton is pretty much chief boss of food in Wellington City

20. Post
    TBH the worst restaurant service I've received consistently in a relatively short period of time was in the States, and regardless of the ****ty job they do they still expect (NEED) tips. In fact, the best service I recall having was at a BK (best BK I've been to, mind you. Touch-screen drink dispenser with every flavour of each type of coke brand drink ftw), where the guy told us to take seats and he'd bring us food, proceeded to bring out all the crazy american dipping sauces and topped up drinks etc. Also, Angry Whoppers, they can't be beat.

ChineseKiwi wrote:
    Also a strong (not foolproof, see geographical location factor) indicator of ethnic food places are: Where do the 'locals' of the food go?
    Notice how there's a distant lack of Asians at say Noodle Canteen? Yeah, there's a reason for that.
    As a proud Chinese Kiwi, where do you recommend getting Chinese in the Churchur? I love me some good Chinese, generally I go to the place on Greers Rd/Wairakei Rd intersection.

21. Post
    Sunlight wrote:
    I was amazed by the customer service i received in Melbourne. Thought they do get paid res well?
    I know someone who works as a barista/waitress in Melbourne and she earns more than me, FFS

22. Post
    Sunlight wrote:
    as a casual you could be getting $22+ an hour as a waiter even if you are fresh but over the age of 21. Goes up if you are quite experienced as well.

23. Post
    Cheeps wrote:
    why would people on $14.50 ever bother going the extra mile when people just don't tip
    Call me old fashioned, but if I have a job to do I do it properly, regardless of pay or tips. RoosterTeeth summed it up well in one of their shorts - "if you do your job well, you get to keep your job."
    It's called taking pride in your work, and if you aren't working somewhere where your employer will reward you for that then get a better job or suck it up.

24. Post
    been very fortunate to travel and work around the world. I cannot say i ever had consistently good or bad service from 1 particular race or nationality based on age or culture etc. It is all up to the individuals. Some will do their best based on their mood or work ethic , others would not lift a finger beyond what is barely required.

25. Post
    Cheeps wrote:
    The hospitality industry in New Zealand does not pay much above minimum wage and NZ'ers don't tip so there is absolutely no incentive to provide great service.
    Pretty much. If you go any place where the staff are paid what they are worth you will get exceptional service (however I don't tend to spend much on dining out - steak and a pint if I ever bother)