The decline of the hospitality industry.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Results 76 to 87 of 87

  1. Post
    #76
    Wellington hospo scene is **** these days. Gone to the dogs. Best days are over. Its rubbish.

  2. Post
    #77
    I was on $27 an hour as a duty manager when I was running bars. Didn't give two ****s about customer service because 90% of the customers were rude inconsiderate ****wites.

  3. Post
    #78
    ^^ your attitude is the problem with customer service. It's almost understandable from minimum wage drones at McDs and the like, but in your case WTF.

    It isn't actually up to your customers to make you feel better. Actually they can be as rude as they want in theory, because they're the customer. You on the other hand are being paid to represent your company and provide "shock" customer service!

  4. Post
    #79
    And I agree with you, but if I bring my A game, am the nicest friendliest guy you've ever met and you turn around and treat me like your doormat I'm going to **** all over your night. You are going to get 5-10ml pours and I'm going to throw an extra 25% on your bill. If you come back, I'll ignore you standing at the bar because I know you're a ****.

    If you return a little bit of good manners and are polite, or just treat me as another human being you'll get an extra 10mls, and find a nice discount on your bill.

    It goes both ways. You can't treat someone like **** and act like you're above them simply because you might sit in an office during 9-5, then expect good service in return.

  5. Post
    #80
    it feels pretty good to be in the hypothetical 10%

  6. Post
    #81
    Privoxy wrote:
    ...and I'm going to throw an extra 25% on your bill.
    Is this why you're no longer a duty manager? Because you got fired for fraud?...

  7. Post
    #82
    Privoxy wrote:
    I was on $27 an hour as a duty manager when I was running bars. Didn't give two ****s about customer service because 90% of the customers were rude inconsiderate ****wites.
    Mermaids never did have the best class of customer though.

  8. Post
    #83
    Shooman wrote:
    Is this why you're no longer a duty manager? Because you got fired for fraud?...
    You got me.

  9. Post
    #84
    gneiss wrote:
    Mermaids never did have the best class of customer though.
    You were there three or four nights a week though, and pay was good

  10. Post
    #85
    Raziel wrote:
    ^^ your attitude is the problem with customer service. It's almost understandable from minimum wage drones at McDs and the like, but in your case WTF.

    It isn't actually up to your customers to make you feel better. Actually they can be as rude as they want in theory, because they're the customer. You on the other hand are being paid to represent your company and provide "shock" customer service!
    Actually no - they can't be 'as rude as they want'. Regardless of where you work, there is an expectation that you're treated with respect. Anything less than that and you can request they leave, or you can refuse to serve them.

    It's interesting you mention Fast Food workers in the context of there being some kind of 'understanding' that they will deliver sub-par service. The actual truth of the matter is that they, on a whole, give BETTER service than a lot of cafes and restaurants. The reason for this is because they have training programs put in place by people who are paid a lot more than you and probably me. I think OP said something about being a service designer, so he'd probably know more (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's part of a service designers job). Anyway, those training programs keep the plebs in line and, in essence, run the whole thing like a machine. All for the benefit of the customer.
    With cafes and restaurants, which are more often than not run by regular run-of-the-mill business owners (that being, not a large enterprises - just SME's), there is no 'training' apart from how to use the till, and staff members are left to their own devices. Often without support. So when you have these young adults, paid minimum wage, and no defined heriacy or work system in place, you get REALLY ****ty service.

  11. Post
    #86
    One thing I've utterly enjoyed about post-quake Christchurch is the revival of house parties. There were so many damned bars pre-Feb 2011 and house parties were rare as ****. Not now, and TBH I hope we don't go back to a situation where there are three decent CBD bar areas + satellites. One is enough, maybe two if landlords want to fight, but three was ridiculous for this size city.

  12. Post
    #87
    Privoxy wrote:
    You were there three or four nights a week though, and pay was good
    really Privoxy? may i ask when? cos i been going to Welly mermaids when i am in welly the last 5-10 years