No Man's Sky

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    I am still quite enthused about this game. Looking forward to it.

2. Post
    iludez wrote:
    Forgot i was a mod for a minute lol.Changed the title for you dude
    chur

3. Post
    Every time I saw an interview with that Sean Murray from Hello Games he always seemed really cagey when answering questions, I always got the impression that his team had developed this algorithm that allowed them to create this huge universe but really had no idea how to turn it into a fun engaging game for people to play.

This is definitely a game that I'll wait for the reviews to start rolling in before I even contemplate spending $60usd on it.

4. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    Every time I saw an interview with that Sean Murray from Hello Games he always seemed really cagey when answering questions, I always got the impression that his team had developed this algorithm that allowed them to create this huge universe but really had no idea how to turn it into a fun engaging game for people to play.

This is definitely a game that I'll wait for the reviews to start rolling in before I even contemplate spending $60usd on it.
    Yup, and I think he was aware of the hype surrounding the game, and really did try to down play it, pretty much stating from the outset 'this is exploration - you can't meet your friends, there's no story, it's just go and look at stuff, and name it'.

Some elements that were more recently introduced really looked out of place like the space battles, the 'ray-gun' or whatever it is, and the really basic looking mining. I get the feeling they never reeeeeeally wanted that in the game to start with but feel obligated to do so.

5. Post
    Wait this is $60 usd?

6. Post
    iludez wrote:
    Wait this is $60 usd?
    Crow said a price had gone up on PSN but was then quickly removed

7. Post
    Jesus if it's &60 they are having a laugh

8. Post
    To clarify: this is what was on the US update: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...re-update-432/

It was taken down soon after. The date 3/3 was a big surprise and most definitely incorrect - the price may have also been just a place holder / incorrect, but the gleaming error was the date. So yeah not sure at this stage. It's not 100%.

9. Post
    Im expecting a surprise e3 launch date for this. Similar to Journey.

10. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    Yup, and I think he was aware of the hype surrounding the game, and really did try to down play it, pretty much stating from the outset 'this is exploration - you can't meet your friends, there's no story, it's just go and look at stuff, and name it'.

Some elements that were more recently introduced really looked out of place like the space battles, the 'ray-gun' or whatever it is, and the really basic looking mining. I get the feeling they never reeeeeeally wanted that in the game to start with but feel obligated to do so.
    Yeah. I think Sony financing and getting involved in the development would have thrown a spanner in the works for Hello Games, lots of the things that you mentioned I imagine were strongly "suggested" by Sony to be added into the game.

11. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with this. Remember their previous game was Joe Danger - couldn't get any different than that with No Man's Sky!

I might have mentioned this view before, but Murray's caginess seems to be an attempt to not do a Peter Monyneux and promise a bunch of stuff that they don't end up delivering on. The problem with that, is that people have a tendency to fill in the blanks themselves, which kind of fuels the hype. Someone says "I really hope it has X", and then others go "Oooh yeah, X would be awesome! - surely it's a feature they'll include", and choo-choo away the Hype Train goes!

Still, i like the aesthetic of the game, and love games like this; the original Elite was my 'first love' when it comes to videogames, and Elite Dangerous on the Xbox One has seen a lot of hours put into it. So i will still likely get this, even if it is just largely an exploration game first and foremost.

12. Post

13. Post
    Lots of new info released today - it's starting to sound more like a game.

I like the developer's philosophy of underpromise (and hopefully overdeliver).

14. Post
    WhatsUpMyNinja_ wrote:
    Lots of new info released today - it's starting to sound more like a game.

I like the developer's philosophy of underpromise (and hopefully overdeliver).
    yeah I'm still torn. The 'combat' path hasn't really been explained yet. Being that the universe is so huge there is very little chance of you going around destroying planets, animals, rocks etc as even impacting another players experience. The only consequence is that you might get a GTA style Wanted level from space police.

And the reason why this bugs me, I mean, say that sounds perfect to your play style, but Sean stated a while ago the only goal is to reach the center of the universe. So there's a new goal added? Complete with new path? Dope. But! Still waiting for more info that makes the combat more appealing rather than pew pew space fazers. Someone purchasing the game coz of the 'combat' path (which again, screams 'thrown in to appeal to a wider audience but perhaps not fleshed out enough) might be pretty disappointed.

Which leaves the exploration: the meat and 3 vegelix of the game. This appeals to me the most. Then.. the price. Hmmmmmmm. Definitely on the fence now.

15. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    yeah I'm still torn. The 'combat' path hasn't really been explained yet. Being that the universe is so huge there is very little chance of you going around destroying planets, animals, rocks etc as even impacting another players experience. The only consequence is that you might get a GTA style Wanted level from space police.

And the reason why this bugs me, I mean, say that sounds perfect to your play style, but Sean stated a while ago the only goal is to reach the center of the universe. So there's a new goal added? Complete with new path? Dope. But! Still waiting for more info that makes the combat more appealing rather than pew pew space fazers. Someone purchasing the game coz of the 'combat' path (which again, screams 'thrown in to appeal to a wider audience but perhaps not fleshed out enough) might be pretty disappointed.

Which leaves the exploration: the meat and 3 vegelix of the game. This appeals to me the most. Then.. the price. Hmmmmmmm. Definitely on the fence now.
    yeah no kidding, it had me interested, but i'm not sure anymore.

Name:  nmsky.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  244.1 KB

it still kinda sounds way too big to be true.

16. Post
    I wonder how much $$$ to purchase the instant language comprehension pack?

17. Post
    A lot of the hype has died thats for sure but im still keen.

18. Post
    $96 on PSN, MA probably still has a place holder price?
    Still keen on the game, new info is pretty interesting.

19. Post
    Still keen it could be something really awesome

20. Post
    Still keen for this too. Will probably pick it up end of year.

21. Post
    I think this will be a Day-1 purchase for me.

This article has me pumped again... hopefully it lasts until June
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...tions-answered

22. Post
    The price really puts me off.Unless there is a huge amount of content

23. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I think this will be a Day-1 purchase for me.

This article has me pumped again... hopefully it lasts until June
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...tions-answered
    Some good info, will be good to see how well it is all actually implemented. I still get a 'jack of all trades master of none' vibe but who knows.

Personally, asides from the division there are not really that many games that interest me this year, so come June I might end up grabbing it regardless.

I really hope this is amazing. I get the clever procedural generation engine is a fkn beast and probably accounts for 90% of development time but it's still got to appeal to Joe-Shmo picking it up off the shelf with no knowledge of the indie nature.

24. Post
    Is the issue that people have with the price because of perception around "indie" games being cheaper? Because i don't quite get it with No Man's Sky - looks like a fully fledged game despite being developed by an indie. I don't get the impression it's going to be a short game, and it sounds like there's going to be plenty to do.

That they have put time and effort into small, largely insignificant things (like lights that turn on and off and chairs that spin), makes me think that there is a hand-crafted attention to detail in the game that mitigates the "jack of all trades ..." feeling i also have - i'm hoping that all the systems the game uses have all had this amount of love put into them.

We shall see!

25. Post
    I explained my point poorly on my phone, this does look fully fledged, will explain later lols