Tech Deals

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
(9 votes)
Results 7,151 to 7,175 of 7240

1. Post
    I'm not claiming the xeon chips aren't basically i7's. Just that the xeons you're looking at are seven years old and that people aren't going out today to buy seven year old chips. From what i've seen on here, people are upgrading from the architecture you're wanting to buy. You'd think if there was nothing to gain from buying newer chips, the xeons would still be in use. But they aren't, they have long since been replaced. Buy what suits your needs.

Not a tech deal, so i'll leave it at that.

2. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I'm not claiming the xeon chips aren't basically i7's. Just that the xeons you're looking at are seven years old and that people aren't going out today to buy seven year old chips. From what i've seen on here, people are upgrading from the architecture you're wanting to buy. You'd think if there was nothing to gain from buying newer chips, the xeons would still be in use. But they aren't, they have long since been replaced. Buy what suits your needs.

Not a tech deal, so i'll leave it at that.
    Uh, yes you did. Unless you're also saying i7s are a niche market and worse in every way than a 2700x.

Fragluton wrote:
    Xeon is pretty niche market, as in if you ignore the price, it's worse in every other way than a 2700x for 95% of people.
    You made them out as if Xeons were somehow different.

You didn't say "That specific Xeon is old".

The current Xeons will crush every other CPU on the market if you have the money to throw around. The old ones are available on the market because people don't understand they're the same base chips, and enterprise buy the new new ones and don't need the old ones. And consumers are scared of the brand, like you apparently are.

If you so desired, you could get a 56 core, 112 thread at 2.6-3.8GHz, x86 Cascade Lake (enterprise Coffee Lake) single socket processor with 12 channels of 2933 memory. Then stick two of them on a board. And you could run Windows 10 off it and play Witcher 3.

Basically Intel rested on their laurels for 6 years waiting for AMD but only for consumer. Enterprise was always itching to upgrade so development pushed forward heavily there. Xeon is what Core i would have been if AMD had been competitive the whole time.

It's a tech deal if you can get a 6 core with the same single thread as a 2700X for $200. There's only been one good point so far why it's not a good idea, and that's Spectre/Meltdown performance hit. You've actually offered nothing but the idea of New = Better, but forget Bulldozer. New isn't always better, especially seeing as one brand literally ****ed around for 6 years waiting for the competition to catch up.

I see it as a totally untapped market that people would massively benefit from if they weren't so terrified and throwing "it's worse" without actually saying why because they don't actually know.

3. Post
    How much is this Xeon chip and cpu etc over the 2700x plus mobo?

4. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    How much is this Xeon chip and cpu etc over the 2700x plus mobo?
    Can pick up a shitty Chinese brand MB for $120.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...e-d991596d686c

I bought an X79 Huanan board for my E5-2670 2 years ago and have had no drama with it.

5. Post
    I don't think most people want to buy shitty Chinese brand MBs from Aliexpress as their main PC. If you're happy to do it to save a few dollars thats fine, but you shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't appeal to most people.

6. Post
    DW wrote:
    I don't think most people want to buy shitty Chinese brand MBs from Aliexpress as their main PC.
    Ok.

7. Post
    I mentioned the age difference between the Xeon and the 2700x. Seven years in case you missed my post, even though you quoted it. But all of a sudden I'm saying current Xeon are worse? Perhaps read more carefully.

Buying a seven year old chip of any type is a niche market, as in the market for such things is small. You have to either buy second hand gear or buy boards off AliExpress.

Most people just like to buy new stuff. For the sake for $130 more for CPU at the time you posted, you'd have current tech and two more cores. Good luck your Xeon.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 18th July 2019 at 11:58 am.

8. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Yeah, that's a good consideration. Do those get applied by default?
    Windows updates I believe. But they are important to apply and will lower your performance. Thats a given.

9. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Ok.
    He does have a point. Who knows how long a shitty chinese board with dodgy VRM's and potential backdoor access will serve you. They aren't built to the same standards as proper board partners.

10. Post
    I remember buying a chinese AGP video card from ebay some years ago.. never again. I've been put off cheap Chinese components since then.

11. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I remember buying a chinese AGP video card from ebay some years ago.. never again. I've been put off cheap Chinese components since then.
    They probably have some crypto mining algos built in them by default.

12. Post
    Buy one get one FREE Huawei Mate 20 Pro this weekend @ PB Tech. INSTORE only.
    $1299 for 2x Mate 20 Pros and 1x bonus 128GB Nano Memory Card.

It is a great phone, although I guess some will be cautious with it being a Huawei phone. It is not live yet on the PB Tech promos page so have not provided a link.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

13. Post
    why no iphone 2 for 1

14. Post
    Because Apple needs all the money they can get to add changeable background wallpapers to the iPhone.

15. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Because Apple needs all the money they can get to add changeable background wallpapers to the iPhone.
    I thought they got that money from their $6000 monitor that needs a $200 mount and a $999 stand?

**** Apple.

16. Post
    Sorry I don't understand your question.

Are you asking why I am poor?

17. Post
    That's an awesome deal for an awesome phone. I got one on launch and have been very happy with it. Do recommend

18. Post
    If anyone is looking to get one and wants to split the cost PM me - I have a good friend who's interested.

19. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Sorry I don't understand your question.

Are you asking why I am poor?
    yes why are you not spending all your money to apple eh?

20. Post
    Oh look next gen pricing is already here, I'll take 5!

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGA...y&ref=pricespy

21. Post
    Just a reminder that this is a Tech Deals thread...

22. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Oh look next gen pricing is already here, I'll take 5!

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGA...y&ref=pricespy
    That's a Kingpin card. For extreme OC'ing. You'd buy that to compete in GPU OC'ing.

23. Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...1359b14e5b-004

Probably won't last long, GTX 1080 Ti for $650.

24. Post
    Lasted 10 mins, someone got a bargain.

25. Post
    Depends what games you play, 5700XT isn't THAT much more and depending on game they aren't too dissimilar. Good odds the AIB 5700XT cards will improve on that