Tech Deals

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
(9 votes)
Results 7,226 to 7,240 of 7240

  1. Post
    Brought myself a bunch of things from PB sale today. Never normally use PB but saved nearly $450 so had to, just wanting a basic 1080P PC to get back into some racing sims and ARMA3.

    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX White Case
    Ryzen 5 2600
    ASUS ROG Strix B450i iTX mobo
    16gb Crucial RAM
    Corsair 550W PSU
    Sapphire RX570

    Already have storage and Win10, so all in just shy of $900, pretty happy.

  2. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Brought myself a bunch of things from PB sale today. Never normally use PB but saved nearly $450 so had to, just wanting a basic 1080P PC to get back into some racing sims and ARMA3.

    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX White Case
    Ryzen 5 2600
    ASUS ROG Strix B450i iTX mobo
    16gb Crucial RAM
    Corsair 550W PSU
    Sapphire RX570

    Already have storage and Win10, so all in just shy of $900, pretty happy.
    why not the 3600?

  3. Post
    What's the deal with import tax/GST these days? Does the good ol' $400 rule still apply?

  4. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    why not the 3600?
    It was $150 more than the 2600. Donít really need the extra from it so went with the 2600 as just a casual gaming rig.

  5. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    What's the deal with import tax/GST these days? Does the good ol' $400 rule still apply?
    Yes, but technically any import "could" have GST and /or duty applied, at the same time some report getting lucky and being over the $400 limit and not being pinged.

    Remember that the $400 includes the freight component.

  6. Post
    Ive found they've gotten a lot more strict about it in the last few years. I used to reguarly get things $400+ through no taxes with little issue.


  7. Post
    Note that it is $400 including freight and duty. There is no duty on tech but for clothing etc. the duty makes the limit closer to $200.

  8. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    What's the deal with import tax/GST these days? Does the good ol' $400 rule still apply?
    Just drop-ship to somewhere in their domestic country and have them value to something like US$200. If the total is under NZ$400 shipped, it won't be taxed.

  9. Post
    ALTER. wrote:
    Just drop-ship to somewhere in their domestic country and have them value to something like US$200. If the total is under NZ$400 shipped, it won't be taxed.
    Then when the package goes missing, the insured value is $200 USD and you are shit out of luck.

  10. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Then when the package goes missing, the insured value is $200 USD and you are shit out of luck.
    Worth the risk if the potential loss is close to the additional tax costs

  11. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    Worth the risk if the potential loss is close to the additional tax costs
    Not worth the time or the hassle.

  12. Post
    But the likelihood of it happening is so low that it really is still worth the risk regardless.

  13. Post
    as long as you use DHL or FedEx for the NZ leg of the journey the package isn't going to disappear

  14. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    But the likelihood of it happening is so low that it really is still worth the risk regardless.
    Customs don't have to use the declared value, they can use an estimated value and frequently do. They have a database of local item rrp prices they use if they think goods are underdeclared. If this happens you can often end up paying more tax than if you declared correctly.