Tech Deals

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
(9 votes)
Results 7,226 to 7,250 of 7518

1. Post
    Brought myself a bunch of things from PB sale today. Never normally use PB but saved nearly $450 so had to, just wanting a basic 1080P PC to get back into some racing sims and ARMA3.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX White Case
    Ryzen 5 2600
    ASUS ROG Strix B450i iTX mobo
    16gb Crucial RAM
    Corsair 550W PSU
    Sapphire RX570

Already have storage and Win10, so all in just shy of $900, pretty happy.

2. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Brought myself a bunch of things from PB sale today. Never normally use PB but saved nearly $450 so had to, just wanting a basic 1080P PC to get back into some racing sims and ARMA3.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX White Case
    Ryzen 5 2600
    ASUS ROG Strix B450i iTX mobo
    16gb Crucial RAM
    Corsair 550W PSU
    Sapphire RX570

Already have storage and Win10, so all in just shy of $900, pretty happy.
    why not the 3600?

3. Post
    What's the deal with import tax/GST these days? Does the good ol' $400 rule still apply?

4. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    why not the 3600?
    It was $150 more than the 2600. Donít really need the extra from it so went with the 2600 as just a casual gaming rig.

5. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    What's the deal with import tax/GST these days? Does the good ol' $400 rule still apply?
    Yes, but technically any import "could" have GST and /or duty applied, at the same time some report getting lucky and being over the $400 limit and not being pinged.

Remember that the $400 includes the freight component.

6. Post
    Ive found they've gotten a lot more strict about it in the last few years. I used to reguarly get things $400+ through no taxes with little issue.

7. Post
    Note that it is $400 including freight and duty. There is no duty on tech but for clothing etc. the duty makes the limit closer to $200.

8. Post
    syryanyang wrote:
    Just drop-ship to somewhere in their domestic country and have them value to something like US$200. If the total is under NZ$400 shipped, it won't be taxed.

9. Post
    ALTER. wrote:
    Just drop-ship to somewhere in their domestic country and have them value to something like US$200. If the total is under NZ$400 shipped, it won't be taxed.
    Then when the package goes missing, the insured value is $200 USD and you are shit out of luck.

10. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Then when the package goes missing, the insured value is $200 USD and you are shit out of luck.
    Worth the risk if the potential loss is close to the additional tax costs

11. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    Worth the risk if the potential loss is close to the additional tax costs
    Not worth the time or the hassle.

12. Post
    But the likelihood of it happening is so low that it really is still worth the risk regardless.

13. Post
    as long as you use DHL or FedEx for the NZ leg of the journey the package isn't going to disappear

14. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    But the likelihood of it happening is so low that it really is still worth the risk regardless.
    Customs don't have to use the declared value, they can use an estimated value and frequently do. They have a database of local item rrp prices they use if they think goods are underdeclared. If this happens you can often end up paying more tax than if you declared correctly.

15. Post
    good deal for a mid-range phone? $300 for latest release August 2019

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MPH...e---Midnight-B

16. Post
    You can never go wrong with Huawei from a price/performance point of view. It's just whether you buy into the issues handsets may face with google not supporting future updates for the devices.

17. Post
    ^ i do recall a big discussion about it with the P30 pre-order hype and what not. wonder if there has been much development regarding the google issue since. havnet really been following..

18. Post
    It's fine. We are getting updates and the muppet master has backed down so they can trade again. At least that's what I've picked up...

19. Post
    On another note, I just bought a 'refurb' Corsair Dark Core RGB wireless mouse from amazon for $52 NZD inc shipping. Its practically brand new, still sealed in its packaging with plastic still on. Arrived in four days from purchase.

Best deal on a mid-high end wireless mouse anyone will find.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20. Post
    pretty good deal for $50 . Refurbished tho..

21. Post
    krashersmasher wrote:
    It's fine. We are getting updates and the muppet master has backed down so they can trade again. At least that's what I've picked up...
    Last I heard the annoying orange changed his mind again and they're on another 90 day probation period. The Mate 30 Pro is launching with Google Apps, as well as some other handsets they're launching, but god only knows how long that'll continue.

It would seem that they're intent on using AOSP even if they lose their ability to use Google so worst case scenario you'll just need to sideload the Google Play Store in future and all is back to normal.

22. Post
    Hmm... Amazon reviews are pretty mixed

Complaints of short battery life, connectivity issues, random movements and clicks not registering. On that plus side those returns are probably the source of the refurbs so the mice will likely be almost new.

What has been your experience so far Ballistica?

23. Post
    brand wrote:
    Hmm... Amazon reviews are pretty mixed

Complaints of short battery life, connectivity issues, random movements and clicks not registering. On that plus side those returns are probably the source of the refurbs so the mice will likely be almost new.

What has been your experience so far Ballistica?
    I had a quick flick through the reviews before I bought it, my opinions

- Short battery life - will comment on once I use it more, though it seems all the negative reviews ive read so far for this particular problem are using the wireless charging (not on refurb model), and as far as I am aware it only charges in one spot (by design) on the Corsair mouse pad so perhaps thats the issue? You are not supposed to use it and charge at the same time whih people may be doing as other companies let you do this (bad design but I have no use for wireless charging).

- Software being bad - dont have much comparison, ive had a Logitech G502 forever, software seems like any other mouse software ever except they renamed macros to "actions". No complaints from me, far less intrusive than the razer software.

- Random movements and clicks not registering - this I have had briefly and Im sure its to do with range of the wireless receiever, it has to be closer than you'd expect, its now in my front panel USB and working fine but I did have the occassional jitter when it was in the back, however I also had the same jitter using my logitech wireless mouse in the same place, so I think it may be more inteferance issues.

- Side buttons - quite like their placment, easier to press than my G502, however just like the G502 the furtherest away thumb button is just slightly too far away to comfortably reach it in battle.

- Build quality - nice but noticebly cheaper than the G502, plastic has that shiny cheap look to it

Overall I really like it, I think id prefer the wireless G502 though, but I couldn't get a G502 for $50. Better than any other $50 wireless mice I was looking at.

24. Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B428M7F 2700x $210 USD shipped again