Tech Deals

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
(9 votes)
Results 7,576 to 7,582 of 7582

1. Post
    Has anyone found a way around the 15% import tax thing yet?

2. Post
    You mean GST. Yeah, order from places that don't do more than 60k trade with our country a year.

Or you can do this. I bought a security camera from Hong Kong 2 weeks ago (got here in 3 days via DHL with no added fees) and instead of using the sellers store front I just messaged them and used Paypal - because the particular seller has a good rep and is trustworthy (plus I have used them in the past).

But if you use any of the major store fronts like Amazon, eBay or AliExpress they automatically add GST at the checkout.

3. Post
    Was that a POE IP camera?
    I'm looking to get some more but not sure where to get them from

4. Post
    Where did you get your other ones? lol Ali-Express is always my go to.

5. Post
    Yes, it is POE. I got it from Andy on IPCamtalk forums (he also has Amazon and AliExpress stores, but I'm not using them because of the GST situation as above, and the fact that he will give forum members a discount).

It is a Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS (eyeball/turret design) without their logo on the casing. You can pay more and wait longer for him to order it from the factory with the Dahua logo on it, if you want (waste of money and will takes ages currently anyway). Dahua only sell to resellers like him, not to the general public.

It is the go to, best bang for buck, low-light capable, fixed lens camera out at the moment for the forum members on there (who really know their stuff). If you aren't sure where to start, I strongly suggest reading their WIKI (particularly the cliff notes).

Andy only sells international models with English firmware and fully supports them - a lot of the cheap ones on AliExpress are Chinese models with hacked English firmware on them - avoid like the plague.

I put it at the end of my driveway looking at my gates, and it is able to work in full colour all night with just the ambient light from the LED street light about 10m away (the amount of light these new 4MP 1/1.8” sensor models are able to let in is very impressive and makes them finally a good replacement for their 2MP models, which were the best for low-light before these). It also has Starlight+, so has very good low-light capabilities when the IR is on in night vision mode (when/where there isn't enough ambient light to run it in full colour.)

You can also get a version without the IR cut filter that has two LED's on the front of it, which can double as an always on low-power security light at night (IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED). Unless you intend to use it that way or have a lot of ambient light, I'd recommend getting the other variant with IR like I did.

BTW he changes the model numbers slightly for OEM purposes. If you want to look up the specs on Dahua's site they are: DH-IPC-HDW5442TM-AS and DH-IPC-HDW5442TM-AS-LED

6. Post
    Thanks Hell Knight ill get in touch with him.
    I currently have some hikvision cams from a few years back and the night vision isnt great, so I'll try a couple of these and see how they go

7. Post
    No problem. I have seen a few people on there change over from Hikvison to Dahua, they just have better price to performance cams of late