Stream of HOSciousness Transfer Station (NSFW)

Thread Rating: 40 votes, 3.58 average.
(40 votes)
Results 67,701 to 67,707 of 67707

1. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    So we have always kept our heatpump on 24/7 - auto fan and 20 degrees. Keeps us warm in winter and cool in summer. We were told to do this by an electrician and also the heatpump installer. We have a fairly new floor-level pump (about a year old now) and we continued this practice.

This winter we have had power bills of $600+ per month.

So for the last month we have switched off the heatpump at night and whenever we are out of the house for any significant length of time, turning in on when we get up or get home. Interestingly enough we instantly saved $200 in the last month!
    So... you turned the heat pump off and it used less electricity?

2. Post

3. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    So we have always kept our heatpump on 24/7 - auto fan and 20 degrees. Keeps us warm in winter and cool in summer. We were told to do this by an electrician and also the heatpump installer. We have a fairly new floor-level pump (about a year old now) and we continued this practice.

This winter we have had power bills of $600+ per month.

So for the last month we have switched off the heatpump at night and whenever we are out of the house for any significant length of time, turning in on when we get up or get home. Interestingly enough we instantly saved $200 in the last month!
    That is some terrible advice. I have had one for 10 years. I leave it idling at 16c during the day and when asleep on heat in the colder months (and turn it up to 22c just before sunset). And I have it on 22c cooling in summer 24/7. Never use auto as it will heat up and cool to maintain that temperature, hence the horrendous bills you got. My bill for this month with PPD of 20% is $152.

4. Post
    Ours is off most of the time, if it's chilly we'll turn it on to 20 in the evenings then turn off before bed.

5. Post
    Going to have one running an underfloor heating system. Will run during the day for 8 hours to heat the slab. Will be interesting to see how the power bill goes.

6. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Ours is off most of the time, if it's chilly we'll turn it on to 20 in the evenings then turn off before bed.
    I do the same but 22 for me. 18 in Summer but that's if it's really hot and no wind. It's always interesting looking at my power bill for the winter periods and it's only increased by 10 bucks lol

7. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    So... you turned the heat pump off and it used less electricity?
    The (incorrect) theory was that it used less energy to maintain temperature across a narrow range rather than wild swings when you turn it off and on again

I suppose it might be the case in a perfect system with minimal losses, but not in most domestic situations