Stream of HOSciousness Transfer Station (NSFW)

Thread Rating: 40 votes, 3.58 average.
(40 votes)
Results 67,701 to 67,725 of 68172

1. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    So we have always kept our heatpump on 24/7 - auto fan and 20 degrees. Keeps us warm in winter and cool in summer. We were told to do this by an electrician and also the heatpump installer. We have a fairly new floor-level pump (about a year old now) and we continued this practice.

This winter we have had power bills of $600+ per month.

So for the last month we have switched off the heatpump at night and whenever we are out of the house for any significant length of time, turning in on when we get up or get home. Interestingly enough we instantly saved $200 in the last month!
    So... you turned the heat pump off and it used less electricity?

2. Post

3. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    So we have always kept our heatpump on 24/7 - auto fan and 20 degrees. Keeps us warm in winter and cool in summer. We were told to do this by an electrician and also the heatpump installer. We have a fairly new floor-level pump (about a year old now) and we continued this practice.

So for the last month we have switched off the heatpump at night and whenever we are out of the house for any significant length of time, turning in on when we get up or get home. Interestingly enough we instantly saved $200 in the last month!
    That is some terrible advice. I have had one for 10 years. I leave it idling at 16c during the day and when asleep on heat in the colder months (and turn it up to 22c just before sunset). And I have it on 22c cooling in summer 24/7. Never use auto as it will heat up and cool to maintain that temperature, hence the horrendous bills you got. My bill for this month with PPD of 20% is $152.

4. Post
    Ours is off most of the time, if it's chilly we'll turn it on to 20 in the evenings then turn off before bed.

5. Post
    Going to have one running an underfloor heating system. Will run during the day for 8 hours to heat the slab. Will be interesting to see how the power bill goes.

6. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Ours is off most of the time, if it's chilly we'll turn it on to 20 in the evenings then turn off before bed.
    I do the same but 22 for me. 18 in Summer but that's if it's really hot and no wind. It's always interesting looking at my power bill for the winter periods and it's only increased by 10 bucks lol

7. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    So... you turned the heat pump off and it used less electricity?
    The (incorrect) theory was that it used less energy to maintain temperature across a narrow range rather than wild swings when you turn it off and on again

I suppose it might be the case in a perfect system with minimal losses, but not in most domestic situations

8. Post
    Leaving it on is efficient, just don't leave it cranked up when your are not around. Leaving it on 16c here in the SI is good because it is bringing in fresh air, so you don't have to have the windows open when it is freezing.

I tried turning mine off in the middle of winter overnight to see if it made any difference, and it cost more to run (I can check the daily usage on my power companies app) because of how hard it was having to work to get the lounge back up to temperature again.

Costs me about $20-25 per month in Summer to leave it on 24/7, well worth it in my opinion.

9. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    I tried the "stick a peanut slab into a BP pepper steak pie" thing. It was pretty good, but now I feel a bit sick and need a lie down (and I only had half).
    Damn why you gotta ruin KiwiTT's news like that

10. Post

11. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Leaving it on 16c here in the SI is good because it is bringing in fresh air, so you don't have to have the windows open when it is freezing.
    That's not how heat pumps work? There is no air connection between the internal and external units...

12. Post
    Tommy Vercetti is an innocent man!

13. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    That's not how heat pumps work? There is no air connection between the internal and external units...
    Some bring in fresh air.

14. Post
    2ezforog

15. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Konev wrote:
    Some bring in fresh air.
    Yeah, that is how mine works.

16. Post

17. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    My wife has had an "All Clear" from her breast cancer.
    That's awesome man. You should go for a trip away somewhere to celebrate.

i.e.awesome wrote:
    I tried the "stick a peanut slab into a BP pepper steak pie" thing. It was pretty good, but now I feel a bit sick and need a lie down (and I only had half).
    I feel sick just from reading that. Wtf.

CODChimera wrote:
    DoTA so similar to LoL. They can be a tough watch though yeah, CS is really good for that, you can just randomly start watching something and pick it up quickly. Although I haven't watched CS in awhile
    I ended up watching this guy called "kitboga" whose entire stream is just trolling scammers. It had a fairly dramatic ending where the scammer threatened to kill themselves and kit(?) spent 20 mins explaining how he's known people that have topped themselves and considered it himself in the past. It was a lot more of an emotional rollercoaster than I was expecting when I went looking for a gaming competition.

Mancubus wrote:

I feel like I would have been sceptical about the idea of saving money by running an appliance 24/7. Other than that, heat pumps are usually pretty awesome.

HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Yeah, that is how mine works.
    My understanding was they suck and blow air in the same room and they move the energy in or outside with compressed fluid. If your one literally blows outside air into the house, then it's not really a heat pump, it's just a heater.

So either it's not a heat pump or you're too dumb to understand how it works. The third option is that I'm the dumb one but I won't agree to that in a hurry.

18. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    My wife has had an "All Clear" from her breast cancer.
    That's awesome dude, happy for you.

19. Post
    Gesellschaft wrote:
    spam
    Apparently that new age medical treatment stops you from tensing the muscles above your top lip.

20. Post
    Would not bang. Lips too pointy.

21. Post
    posting in a lips forum

22. Post
    DHL delivery to my letterbox this afternoon
    Name:  D3B06C69-7753-41B2-B577-84D63CEAAC9A.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  397.4 KB

23. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    posting in a lips forum

24. Post

25. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    DHL delivery to my letterbox this afternoon
    Name:  D3B06C69-7753-41B2-B577-84D63CEAAC9A.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  397.4 KB
    I bet you'll look beautiful in any old rag gneiss.