Stream of HOSciousness Transfer Station (NSFW)

Thread Rating: 40 votes, 3.58 average.
(40 votes)
Results 64,801 to 64,825 of 67634

1. Post
    I was close to buying a 3d printer, but canceled my order after. I think it was a monoprice select.
    I thought what I would use it for.. and the reality wasn't much, just bits and bobs for things like mounts etc, which I could just make with alloy and a bit of time. I still want one.. but not sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

2. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    I was close to buying a 3d printer, but canceled my order after. I think it was a monoprice select.
    I thought what I would use it for.. and the reality wasn't much, just bits and bobs for things like mounts etc, which I could just make with alloy and a bit of time. I still want one.. but not sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.
    I think you've gotta be in the 'maker' mindset to want one.

You don't buy one in an attempt to save costs when it comes to making your own items rather than buying them. It's just the shear enjoyment from building something that would actually be cheaper if you bought it :P

Owning a 3D printer isn't always practical. It's fun. I look at it like Lego.

3. Post
    Yeah I wanted one to print my 3d models I was making, but sort of gone out of the phase. Maybe in the future, but I think a cnc router would be something I would more likely to have fun with.

4. Post
    A mate of mine has a 3d printer and uses it to make parts for his various entries in the monthly Auckland robot wars. I'll post a video of it from a couple of weeks ago if anyone gives a shit.

|icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    Creepy

LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    Decided to spend a few hours yesterday fixing home office. Need a much bigger desk if i want to get the right hand monitor back to horizontal but in saying that, quite enjoying the vertical for discord, dev shit etc. We'll see.

How come you have the upended screen? I can see how you can make it work but I don't see why it's better.
    I always just use two screens so I'm not used to 3 screen madness.

swazi wrote:
    I remember watching that movie many times as a kid in the 90s, but never realised how graphic that Murphy death scene really is. (version I watched was highly edited)
    Somehow those 90s movies were actually more violent. When someone got shot it was as graphic as possible.

Also the cops were having a laugh going into that building against heavily armed baddies. In reality there would be a hard out SWAT team.

gneiss wrote:
    My son had an amazing, practically minded year 6 teacher last year. He bought a 3D printer and put it in the class. He then got them to do projects using it. My favourite was when he got them to do 3D models of car wheels on their computers and then printed them out and used them on Lego cars to see the difference that witdth and tread and diameter had when rolling the cars down slopes. Awesome.
    Do kids use computers in class all the time now? When I was in high school there was a specific "computer lab". it wasn't integrated into any non computer subject.

5. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Do kids use computers in class all the time now? When I was in high school there was a specific "computer lab". it wasn't integrated into any non computer subject.
    Yep, from about the age of 9 or 10. They barely use books for writing in anymore at some schools. Reports are typed, emailed in etc. our kids school uses Onenote to link all classwork and homework so parents can see it all too. Kids can hand in via Onenote directly to the teacher. There is class collaboration space within the program, it’s pretty cool.

6. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    How come you have the upended screen? I can see how you can make it work but I don't see why it's better. I always just use two screens so I'm not used to 3 screen madness.
    For things that usually require scrolling eg: development environments its quite nice. Can read/see a lot more of the code without having to constantly scroll up/down. Kind of neat for discord / reddit as well. Again less scrolling to see past messages or posts.

7. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Yep, from about the age of 9 or 10. They barely use books for writing in anymore at some schools. Reports are typed, emailed in etc. our kids school uses Onenote to link all classwork and homework so parents can see it all too. Kids can hand in via Onenote directly to the teacher. There is class collaboration space within the program, itís pretty cool.
    It must be so different to our experience. I'm a bit younger than you but computers were still treated as a novelty when I was at school and knowing wtf you were doing was considered expert.

LiQuid.Ace wrote:
    For things that usually require scrolling eg: development environments its quite nice. Can read/see a lot more of the code without having to constantly scroll up/down. Kind of neat for discord / reddit as well. Again less scrolling to see past messages or posts.
    Makes sense.

I'm using a 32 inch TV @1080 as my main monitor since my good one died atm. Obviously a proper thousand dollar monitor would be better but I quite like it.

8. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    It must be so different to our experience. I'm a bit younger than you but computers were still treated as a novelty when I was at school and knowing wtf you were doing was considered expert.
    Yep, just a computer lab at our school. I think I went in there twice to play Howitzer. We had computers at home right from the ZX Spectrum though (although we only used them for gaming).

9. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    ZX Spectrum
    I had to Google what that was. Looks like a piece of crap.

I had an Amiga 600 and a 386. Amigas are dust now but the 386 was just a slow version of what we use now.

The primary and intermediate schools I went to had one Apple Macintosh per classroom. You could type and print on them so they served a purpose.

10. Post
    Oh, it was a piece of crap don’t worry

11. Post
    I saw someone with quite a fashionable face mask. Wonder where they got it

12. Post
    probably Billy Russo

13. Post
    ^

14. Post
    Just experienced some classic ol' racism from some coward of a guy driving past in a car.

15. Post
    my flatmate keeps talking to me about his 5 year plan and im just like my plan is to kill myself lmao

16. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    Just experienced some classic ol' racism from some coward of a guy driving past in a car.

What did they say?

17. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    my flatmate keeps talking to me about his 5 year plan and im just like my plan is to kill myself lmao

18. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:

Oh that sucks! I f**king hate hearing stuff like that. Just so uncalled for, small minded f**kwits!

I got yelled at when I was walking two of our tiny little dogs yesterday - apparently they're not very tough looking, ergo I must be a "bundle of sticks". Just dickheads being dickheads.

19. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Don't worry, he's way too up himself to commit suicide.

20. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Oh that sucks! I f**king hate hearing stuff like that. Just so uncalled for, small minded f**kwits!
    You don't know what they said yet.

21. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Thanks Mr Pedantic, but I'm not really in the mood to dance tonight, dude - she said it was racist, which is enough for me to make the determination that they are small minded f**kwits.

22. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:

Welcome to Christchurch

23. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Thanks Mr Pedantic, but I'm not really in the mood to dance tonight, dude - she said it was racist, which is enough for me to make the determination that they are small minded f**kwits.
    Maybe they called her an Amazin Azin.

Go "dance" with Mancubus.

24. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    "YOU'RE A BEAUTIFUL HUMAN BEING!!".

..cause that happens all the time.

25. Post
    It probably wasn't pleasant. I'm still curious.