1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Like a rolling Stone..

3. Post
    A really really really really slowly rolling stone.

*Ridiculous amounts of gamers still playing 10-year-old online game

4. Post
    Me and my partner had a disagreement before as she said its slowly going down because it is getting old where I said its going down because it is getting crappier and crappier.

Thoughts!?

5. Post
    In reality, it's probably a bit of both, and with several other factors as well.

6. Post
    Getting better and better, crappier and crappier, older and older - the game and the people who are into that kind of game

7. Post
    Regardless of expansions there is only soo long the core game can hold peoples attention, after 3-4 years something new and shiney is going to come along and take your interest.

Also a lot of the day 1 player base have likely grown up and now have kids and long hours and the first thing that gets cut is MMO's.

New generation gamers aren't into length time sink ****, and play rubbishy mobile games.

The possible list of reasons is legion. WoW isn't going anywhere any time soon, even the current player base is absolutely gigantic compared to other MMO's.

8. Post
    I don't feel its getting significantly worse, 8 million players didn't pack up and leave because its not vanilla anymore, they got sick of the genre.

These days when you launch a new MMO 90% of your player base have played or come from other MMO's, they're generally not new players.

So if you never get new blood, then eventually your numbers will drop because people get sick of the same thing again and again and stop.

The MMORPG genre is by in large past its honeymoon period now, but that doesn't mean other genre can't take advantage of MMO features like FPS i.e Destiny

9. Post
    Plus a lot of competition from newer free to play MMORPGs. Star Wars, Path of Exile, Rift, Conan, Neverwinter, there are just so many to choose from now.

10. Post
    6.8mil lost souls, Blizzard will soon begin the harvesting process!

11. Post
    6.8 is still pretty impressive, WoW is a cycle. Expansions come out, subs pick up, Expansions come to an end, subs drop. Its happened since BC yet people still act surprised. My pick is it'll go back to 8 mill come WoD maybe more.

Also what grim said, the genre seems to be dying..something needs to change

12. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Me and my partner had a disagreement before as she said its slowly going down because it is getting old where I said its going down because it is getting crappier and crappier.

Thoughts!?
    This seemed oddly appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgSO8_cRio

13. Post
    Problem is they havent had any new content in 11 months and probably wont for another couple of months at the most when Warlords of Draenor comes around. Most of those players who have stopped will probably just be waiting till WoD, whereas the rest probably just got bored and dropped off. Its very unfortunate they had nothing to release in between, whoevers idea it was to have 11+ months of no new content when subscribers are already dropping should be fired

14. Post
    Montezooma wrote:
    Problem is they havent had any new content in 11 months and probably wont for another couple of months at the most when Warlords of Draenor comes around. Most of those players who have stopped will probably just be waiting till WoD, whereas the rest probably just got bored and dropped off. Its very unfortunate they had nothing to release in between, whoevers idea it was to have 11+ months of no new content when subscribers are already dropping should be fired
    Basically my issue.. I got tired of grinding bc reputations... :P... shall wait and then jump back in again.

15. Post
    This is a good representation of how things have gone:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...on-Subscribers

Shows climbing during BC then flattens out during WOTLK then declines sharply...

16. Post
    Sectiplave wrote:
    New generation gamers aren't into length time sink ****, and play rubbishy mobile games.
    I wouldn't say that's true for all new gamers. I mean there's an entire generation of kids growing up playing Minecraft. These kids are all learning that hard work and patience leads to rewards, not expecting instant gratification, etc.

17. Post
    Yeah definitely that is true Soan, I was just listing possible reasons for the player base declining other than a sweeping statement like "the game is crappier now" there are a huge combination of reasons the player base is declining. Personally my reason matches Sir Grim, I got sick of the genre. Of course when I decided to get into this genre again there is no way in hell I'd go back to the same game when there is soo much on offer now.

My Nephew is one of those Minecraft gamers

18. Post
    The only hope WoW has is going "Free to Play" but at the same time setting new standers that will not only be fair to those who have paid to play all these years but fair to those who are coming back or completely new comers.

Thus would be a very hard thing to do, as it would upset those who have stuck with WoW for years. However it could work out well as WoW is already riddled with cash items from pets to mounts and everything in between.

19. Post
    6.8m is still HUGE for a game that's almost 10 years old... most new mmo's with advanced graphics are barely sitting at 2m... barely :\ WoW is still the MMORPG champion to this day.

Subs drop during the end of an expansion, it always happens... Blizzards problem is not being able to provide content during the downtime from the latest raid to the next expansion, it has been 1 year since Siege of Orgrimmar and still no content while we wait for WoD, maybe if they weren't working on Titan they could have provided some content but since that got scrapped I have a feeling most of the devs were put onto WoD, it's going to be a huge expansion to be completely honest.

Numbers will climb again with WoD, down again then up again with the new expansion, this always happens.

Keep in mind back then there wasn't too many enjoyable and addictive games, with so many developers now it's amazing to think Blizzard still holds 6.8m subs, especially with games like DotA2, LoL, BF4, etc dominating the market.

edit: Not to mention it's the only mmorpg out there with 12 Oceanic labelled servers that are all completely full during prime-time hours... try playing FFXIV at 9pm NZST, it's like a ghost town.
    Last edited by Rekuja; 7th August 2014 at 2:18 pm.

20. Post
    my 2 cents

as a ex player who thinks the game now is a noob filled faceroll mess, it is still the best mmorpg out there , hands down. None of the competitors have quite the same technical polish and ease of immersion and gameplay. Graphics aside as that is just a matter of player opinion ( some hate the graphics style, i think it is fine and stuff like TESO is just bbb , bland brown and boring etc ) the gameplay is still the best , it does not quite hold the players hand like other games ( ie targeting circles etc , that is just lol imho ) but still easy to play and the writing is still funny and engaging compared to others ( GW2 has horrible writing imho and even worst gameplay ) etc

i am not surprised that no one has come close to taking the crown from WoW, None of its competitors have quite mixed the right gameplay, engagement, immersion , writing or loot pixel gathering like WoW has.

21. Post
    Rekuja wrote:
    6.8m is still HUGE for a game that's almost 10 years old... most new mmo's with advanced graphics are barely sitting at 2m... barely :\ WoW is still the MMORPG champion to this day.

Subs drop during the end of an expansion, it always happens... Blizzards problem is not being able to provide content during the downtime from the latest raid to the next expansion, it has been 1 year since Siege of Orgrimmar and still no content while we wait for WoD, maybe if they weren't working on Titan they could have provided some content but since that got scrapped I have a feeling most of the devs were put onto WoD, it's going to be a huge expansion to be completely honest.

Numbers will climb again with WoD, down again then up again with the new expansion, this always happens.

Keep in mind back then there wasn't too many enjoyable and addictive games, with so many developers now it's amazing to think Blizzard still holds 6.8m subs, especially with games like DotA2, LoL, BF4, etc dominating the market.

edit: Not to mention it's the only mmorpg out there with 12 Oceanic labelled servers that are all completely full during prime-time hours... try playing FFXIV at 9pm NZST, it's like a ghost town.
    If you look at the graph the subs only climbed at the end of Cataclysm so I'm not sure this comment is entirely correct.

You are definitely right that 6.8mil subs is nothing to sneeze at, though.

22. Post
    Blizzard knows how to make bank.

Even though subs are down, profit is up

23. Post
    even if this is the start of the decline, it still had a good run

24. Post
    I'll be back for the glorious 2-3 initial months of WoD like most other MMO'ers then disappear again

having massive pvp battles on all the levelling zones ftWin