Windows 10 Thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    MysticNZ wrote:
    Kinda sad if metro goes, but it seems like this is a good replacement.
    I'd be very surprised if it wasn't just a setting to use either

2. Post
    Sadly the Tech Preview doesn't play nicely with Parallels 9 on my mac. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home and use proper VM software on a proper OS to run it. From what I've seen though it will be popular. The Metro has been gutted. It seems to detect that if you have a keyboard it will go to a desktop environment and basically ditch the metro. Feels nice and sleek, but then again Windows 8.1 was already an efficient OS. It's basically Windows 8.1 with a start menu and the metro screen removed. So it will be Vista and 7 all over again.

3. Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 11.43.39 am.png
Views: 2537
Size:  357.6 KB

You can remove the live tiles from the start menu and add standard desktop apps to it as well, and resize and move them around etc. Seems tidy and a nice compromise.

4. Post
    And this couldn't be Windows 8.2 because. . .

****ing M$

5. Post
    The same reason Windows 7 wasn't Vista.2

I'd say a lot more has changed than just some visuals

6. Post
    XP got three service packs and Vista two

now they're playing the marketing cycle game

7. Post
    A service pack is very different to a version change. It really depends on what has changed, and what needs to change to upgrade to the next version.

8. Post
    lolwut, bing with autocomplete in the search widget that you can't remove, can't disable bing either

(win8.1 on the left)

and trustinstaller has full control by default

9. Post
    bing search is also on by default in the enterprise version

10. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    And this couldn't be Windows 8.2 because. . .

****ing M$
    It's free for Windows 8 owners. Why are you complaining

11. Post
    probably because a lot of people are still on windows 7

also the amount of updates you need to download/install after a fresh install of w7 sp1 is getting ridiculous

12. Post
    lol

yes, it remembers the screen size you had it at

yes, that is the minimum size of the metro calculator

yes, they're both called Calculator
    and the dropbox icon

13. Post
    lol if you change desktop scaling to 125% it breaks cut-and-paste in command prompt somehow

and

14. Post
    Windows 95:

the icon they used 20 years ago is more colorful and visually appealing than the one from 2014 lol

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    It's free for Windows 8 owners.
    Have Microsoft confirmed that?

16. Post
    Does DANZA actually understand this is a tech preview? As in pre-alpha and not even remotely feature complete and that most of the icons are place holders? Please tell me he does.

17. Post

18. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Does DANZA actually understand this is a tech preview? As in pre-alpha and not even remotely feature complete and that most of the icons are place holders? Please tell me he does.
    With his lack of being able to understand simple functions such as editing a post instead always multiposting, I think maybe not.

19. Post
    It is in no way a 'pre-alpha'.

20. Post
    Running it in a VM atm, seems okay. Tbh though I am pretty happy with 8.1, but I will give it a crack if its a free upgrade.

21. Post
    Does the new version give increased productivity by over 1000%?

22. Post
    Got this running in a VM right now, infact, I'm posting from it.

So far first impressions are certainly positive. I dig the new start menu and I like the slim window borders. I like how Metro and the desktop feel unified with no more forced fullscreen, charms etc. I like how multiple swapable desktops make a triumphant return as well. And I very much like how Microsoft appears to have actually learned from their mistakes - by that I mean that almost everything they've changed since Windows 8 can be reverted at will, for example if you wanted the old start screen back, or the charms, they there in a menu waiting to be switched back on. It feels like Windows 8 done much better.

Runs really good, even in a VM. Aside from the odd burst of lag during disk writes (which I blame on the fact that I'm running in from a software raid with the write speed comparable to a toasted sandwich) it runs buttery smooth.

Not too fond of the Search and Task Switcher being stuck on the taskbar though.

Two thumbs up so far!
    Last edited by Xev; 3rd October 2014 at 2:50 am.

23. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Sadly the Tech Preview doesn't play nicely with Parallels 9 on my mac. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home and use proper VM software on a proper OS to run it. From what I've seen though it will be popular. The Metro has been gutted. It seems to detect that if you have a keyboard it will go to a desktop environment and basically ditch the metro. Feels nice and sleek, but then again Windows 8.1 was already an efficient OS. It's basically Windows 8.1 with a start menu and the metro screen removed. So it will be Vista and 7 all over again.
    For 64bit: Enable EFI boot. Set disk mode to SCSI (or IDE if you must). Reinstall OS.
    For 32bit: Will just work.

24. Post
    danza is a notorious nitpick for the sake of it, often elements that no one else cares about e.g. windows logo looking slightly off center in the windows store logo

I'm running TP on my main PC, upgraded my existing 8.1 enterprise install and its good so far. Haven't come across any issues so far, glad to see my apps survived the upgrade so didn't have to reinstall anything.

Upgraded my XenDesktop 7.5 lab to 7.6 and created a Windows 10 VDA to play around with. I can see businesses making moves towards 10 in the not too distant future imo.

Full screen start menus on VDI is a pain in the ass

25. Post
    Can the full-screen start menu be re-enabled? I actually prefer the W8 one over the "classic" style for a desktop.

Lethargic wrote:
    XP got three service packs and Vista two

now they're playing the marketing cycle game
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can expand that as:

XP had 3, Vista had 2, 7 had 1, and 8 had none.
    (I'm intentionally ignoring 8.1 since it's not labelled as a SP.)

DaNzA wrote:
    DaNzA wrote:
    Windows 95:
    the icon they used 20 years ago is more colorful and visually appealing than the one from 2014 lol
    Speak for yourself.