Windows 10 Thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)

1. Post
    Trusted installer alwayas had full control.

2. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    Can the full-screen start menu be re-enabled? I actually prefer the W8 one over the "classic" style for a desktop.
    Yeah, it's just a tick box option

3. Post
    The option to run either is good. Start menu can also be resized vertically. Windows 8 apps have a minimum size, so can't be reduced in size to the point a scroll bar would be required. The search button the taskbar is a waste of space, but can't be removed. Thin borders is nice.

4. Post
    Is there still a discrete metro settings app that's different to the control panel?

5. Post
    Yes.

6. Post
    you do know how to multiquote right

7. Post
    Stasis wrote:
    you do know how to multiquote right
    post post post

actually stasis i will combine the posts above just for you

Bobs wrote:
    Does DANZA actually understand this is a tech preview? As in pre-alpha and not even remotely feature complete and that most of the icons are place holders? Please tell me he does.
    chill out, it doesn't mean that it's not funny and we can't laugh at it

seems like they are overlaying flat buttons over aero buttons

saajiik wrote:
    Speak for yourself.
    also if they call my computer 'This PC', do they call the server you are connecting to 'That PC'?

Sphyre wrote:
    Is there still a discrete metro settings app that's different to the control panel?
    Last edited by DaNzA; 3rd October 2014 at 4:24 pm.

8. Post
    "also if they call my computer 'This PC', do they call the server you are connecting to 'That PC'?"

Did they call other computers "Your Computer" or "Their Computer" in versions where the nomenclature is "My Computer"?

9. Post
    defiant wrote:
    Yeah, it's just a tick box option
    Great, now if only there was a check box to remove the start and search icons.

DaNzA wrote:
    also if they call my computer 'This PC', do they call the server you are connecting to 'That PC'?
    "This PC" and "My Computer" are pretty much the same thing; except that "This PC" is more specific, and is less likely to be misinterpreted by the severely tech-illiterate. I'm sure that some people see "My Computer" and expect it to show them their computer when they're using another computer.

10. Post
    Looking like its going to be pretty mint, currently downloading the early release. Been using Windows 8.1 for awhile now on my ultrabook and desktop and it's pretty awesome to be honest, there is no reason to be on Windows 7 now. I just installed a mod to have a Windows 10 style Start Menu, 8 is lightweight and speedy doing everything.

Also metro is pretty nice on the ultrabook as it's touch screen so can switch between keyboard/mouse or touch when being lazy on the couch.

11. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    Great, now if only there was a check box to remove the start and search icons.

"This PC" and "My Computer" are pretty much the same thing; except that "This PC" is more specific, and is less likely to be misinterpreted by the severely tech-illiterate. I'm sure that some people see "My Computer" and expect it to show them their computer when they're using another computer.
    the weird thing is that they are changing it now and it would be interesting to see if theyve changed other stuff along the same line

12. Post
    DaNzA wrote:
    the weird thing is that they are changing it now and it would be interesting to see if theyve changed other stuff along the same line
    They changed it in 8 which is not now. I think the point of a new operating system is to change stuff.

13. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    They really are pushing those live tiles aren't they. As long as you can remove them that's ok though.
    It's nice having dynamic stuff, it got in the way quite often when it was on the desktop full time.

DaNzA wrote:
    bing search is also on by default in the enterprise version
    Same as Windows 8.1

saajiik wrote:
    XP had 3, Vista had 2, 7 had 1, and 8 had none.
    (I'm intentionally ignoring 8.1 since it's not labelled as a SP.)
    Well there was 8.1 Update 1 that added a lot of stuff.

14. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    Well there was 8.1 Update 1 that added a lot of stuff.
    saajiik wrote:
    I'm intentionally ignoring 8.1 since it's not labelled as a SP.

15. Post
    Analgia wrote:
    Well there was 8.1 Update 1 that made it the operating system it should have been on release.
    ftfy

16. Post
    DaNzA wrote:
    Windows 95:

the icon they used 20 years ago is more colorful and visually appealing than the one from 2014 lol
    OS9: Name:  OS9.PNG
Views: 577
Size:  5.4 KB

OS9 is so much better than OSuX

17. Post
    There are no more service packs, so good luck with waiting for one.

18. Post
    So finally had a play with it. Don't know how you guys like a Start Menu. It's ****ing horrible after using metro. Going to give me a kink in my neck.

At least there is the option to turn it back.

19. Post
    MysticNZ wrote:
    So finally had a play with it. Don't know how you guys like a Start Menu. It's ****ing horrible after using metro. Going to give me a kink in my neck.

At least there is the option to turn it back.
    Given many people here said they didn't use it as a typical start menu (and just typed what they wanted), it shouldn't make any difference.

20. Post
    Yep do prefer not to have the screen blanked out every time. On the other hand the tiles look hilariously out of place in a little corner menu - I think this will encourage almost everyone to disable them.

21. Post
    Gave it a quick spin in a VM, minus the whole startmenu thing it seemed pretty much the same.

A few small UI tweaks here and there but nothing overly new or exciting.

22. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Not sure why they skipped Windows 9 but I'm sure there's a marketing reason.
    It seems some lazy developers coded "Windows 9", when checking versions for Windows 95 and 98.

Dailytech

23. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    It seems some lazy developers coded "Windows 9", when checking versions for Windows 95 and 98.

Dailytech
    Not some, just about all.

24. Post
    Lets hope there is still no code lingering around looking for "Windows 1" ... LOL