Recommended replacement Main HDD for laptop

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Recommended replacement Main HDD for laptop

My laptop is about 3 years old and the HDD is only 500GB
    The system is only capable of having 1 HDD unless I remove the ODD and using a caddy install a 2nd one.
    Anyway...

Looking at these
    SEAGATE LAPTOP SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB 2.5" SATA
    WESTERN DIGITAL SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX 750GB 2.5" SATA

I've looked up the specs for both and favour the WD drive
    Suggestions welcome

2. Post
    They're both bad. Get an SSD instead.

If you MUTS have the 1TB of space, get the caddy.

Or if you want to retain the ODD, 500 GB SSDs can be had for reasonable money now.

3. Post
    I looked at this option as well but don't see the worth for a computer only used for the odd game and surfing the web.

4. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    I looked at this option as well but don't see the worth for a computer only used for the odd game and surfing the web.
    It is.

5. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    If that were true is there a reason you need more than 500GB?

6. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    Windows booting up = BIG. Once you go SSD, you never go back.

7. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    It is.
    It really is

8. Post
    Hi Bommer, good day to you. As on your query on the hard drive, I would go ahead and grab the WD Black hard drive instead as it does give you good performance with higher capacity. Even though you did mentioned that the laptop is only used for odd gaming and web surfing, storage space is something you should have in handy all the time

It is because the extra available space can always be used as an backup solution where you can have additional copy of those important files. On top of that, having an SSD would surely be a vital choice if you have more than one slot for HDD in the laptop where you can have your OS installed in it and the rest of your files into the hard drive accordingly.

Furthermore, by getting the WD Black hard drive instead of the SSD,you can spare your budget for a future upgrade and I am pretty sure the 5 years limited warranty which it carries would be worth every penny you spend on it.

Hope my recommendation helps.

9. Post
    Lol 5 out of 6 of raymond_wd's posts are trying to sway people towards wd.

Subtle.

I'd choose the WD if you were going for a disk drive, but highly recommend an SSD over this.

10. Post
    I see no issue with having product reps on the forums to answer queries about their products, but they shouldn't be allowed to come into every thread relating to storage devices and say "buy our stuff". It's not my decision though.

Get the SSD. A 120GB SSD is around the same price as a 1TB drive, and since it's just for a bet of web browsing and the odd game, it'll be plenty of space. If you really needed a little extra room, a 250GB drive isn't that much more.

11. Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a main PC with all the trimmings so dont need a laptop to be the same. So will go with the WD drive

12. Post
    SSD on laptop is 100% worth, srs

13. Post
    yeah SSD is for loading. ANything not just games.

14. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a main PC with all the trimmings so dont need a laptop to be the same. So will go with the WD drive
    Classic create thread and ignore all advice and do what you were going to do anyway move.

15. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Classic create thread and ignore all advice and do what you were going to do anyway move.
    Can we ban them?

16. Post
    I don't see why not?

17. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    My question was for 2 types of HDD's not an SSD with suggestions welcome, Only one person actually answered my question and then was questioned due to his standing, An SSD has not gone blindly but dont really wana spend $500 on a SSD for a system I don't deem worthy of it.

18. Post
    Where the hell did you get $500 from?

19. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    $500
    It's only around $100 for a 120GB SSD and $160 for a 250GB. Definitely worth the money and probably one of the best upgrades you can do on a laptop.

20. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    not OP's fault - he was taken in by raymond_wd's flawless sales pitch

21. Post
    Ok, so what is the recommended SSD for a laptop. It will be the "ONLY" drive that will be installed. I still need the ODD. The laptop is used also by my family who have basic knowledge on how to use it.
    was looking at an intel 730 480gb (looking more reliability than performance)
    Last edited by Bommer; 27th November 2014 at 10:34 pm. Reason: For Privoxy to SEE properly

22. Post
    You only need 120GB, why are you looking at large, expensive SSDs?

23. Post
    Are you serious? With todays requirements can you run a laptop solely on ONLY a 120GB drive. Do you actually read any of the post?
    Last edited by Bommer; 27th November 2014 at 10:39 pm.

24. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    Are you serious? With todays requirements can you run a laptop properly on ONLY a 120GB drive. Do you actually read any of the post?
    I ran my laptop fine for almost a year on a 32GB drive (granted this was Linux so none of Windows bloatware), however a 120 GB drive is fine for surfing the web and the odd game.
    The 250GB size is better value for money for SSDs so if you think you need more space, a 256GB Crucial MX100 for around $180 will be all you need.

25. Post
    Bommer wrote:
    Are you serious? With todays requirements can you run a laptop properly on ONLY a 120GB drive. Do you actually read any of the post?
    What are you dumping on your ssd? Thousands of years of photography?