Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Results 76 to 94 of 94

  1. Post
    #76
    Cryptolockers via unpatched Flash (client) and the like are a ****ing nightmare.

  2. Post
    #77
    JC wrote:
    Cryptolockers via unpatched Flash (client) and the like are a ****ing nightmare.
    Dad managed to install some malware which hijacked his facebook account and **** knows what else (couldn't find any suspicious emails in his account and whatever it is has disabled RDP so I'm assuming malware).

    Time to install linux on the olds' computer, I think.

  3. Post
    #78
    KevinL wrote:
    Dad managed to install some malware which hijacked his facebook account and **** knows what else (couldn't find any suspicious emails in his account and whatever it is has disabled RDP so I'm assuming malware).

    Time to install linux on the olds' computer, I think.
    My ma got hit by some ransomeware. Lost all her photos/accounts etc, even got into her dropbox account and ****ed all of her backups (lesson 1...).

    Rather than pay the $300 US she just said nuke the whole thing. Probably happened with un-patched Flash, could happen on any OS.

  4. Post
    #79
    Or the always popular "install linux" ...feels safe... "installs wine" /lol

  5. Post
    #80
    I don't have POWER/UP and don't run Adblock. Call it even

  6. Post
    #81
    I have ad block disabled on gpforums and this is what i see


  7. Post
    #82
    Unsettled wrote:
    Or the always popular "install linux" ...feels safe... "installs wine" /lol
    Not planning to need WINE, but in principle how much damage can really be wrought if WINE doesn't have su privileges?

  8. Post
    #83
    Greek wrote:
    I've never used Adblock, so posts like this make me feel like a digital cowboy, roaming through the Internet badlands, surviving on wits alone; tough, a tad grisly, maybe even infested.
    Sounds like you might need Western Blot Antibodies even Donkey Anti-Mouse IgG currently advertised on Gp Forums..
    bring back russian brides tbh

  9. Post
    #84
    gpig wrote:
    I have ad block disabled on gpforums and this is what i see

    You probably have another browser add-on conflicting. Through a process of elimination, I found for me it was NoScript. No longer a problem for me anyway.

  10. Post
    #85
    Unsettled wrote:
    Thats not what I read, in their report* the ad didn't need to be clicked on, according to their investigation results, one of the steps they took to stop it happening again was to block social media sites, like facebook. I'm not really sure they are making good choices, to be honest. But they have a lot of commercially sensitive info & systems to protect.
    *report was made for techno-noob senior executives to understand, certainly could be lies.
    Highly unlikely. Unless by 'social media site' they meant "facialforums.net" or similar dubious forums using porn ad networks.

    The reputable ad networks and publishers manually review every single creative. You may spend all day approving adverts, but hey, at least you work for Google. And yep, they often find malware by being infected lol. Likewise, they have many automated checks for malware - both creative based and behavioural detection - new account paying by credit card that runs campaigns with a really large budget and unlimited daily spend? Lol, real subtle there, Mr. Malware.

  11. Post
    #86
    KevinL wrote:
    Dad managed to install some malware which hijacked his facebook account and **** knows what else (couldn't find any suspicious emails in his account and whatever it is has disabled RDP so I'm assuming malware).

    Time to install linux on the olds' computer, I think.
    It cuts both ways.

    I regularly receive panicky calls from Quasi because he's having computer problems.

    Usually it's something simple, like the comps not plugged in at the wall, but I'm always there for him.

  12. Post
    #87
    Zarkov wrote:
    It cuts both ways.

    I regularly receive panicky calls from Quasi because he's having computer problems.

    Usually it's something simple, like the comps not plugged in at the wall, but I'm always there for him.
    Yeah, but Quasi is clearly special

  13. Post
    #88
    Zarkov wrote:
    It cuts both ways.

    I regularly receive panicky calls from Quasi because he's having computer problems.

    Usually it's something simple, like the comps not plugged in at the wall, but I'm always there for him.
    Wow. What a guy!

  14. Post
    #89
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Highly unlikely.
    Not really.

    If the content is rendered when the page is loaded (which is the case these days), it doesn't need to be 'clicked'.

  15. Post
    #90
    My work computer was crippled by that malware in an add on the MetService website (was a thing a year ago or so). Since then ... AdBlock everything.

    All I did was have MetService sitting open in a tab for a few hours, never clicked on any ad.

    Edit: This: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...ervice-website

  16. Post
    #91
    Merkinz wrote:
    My work computer was crippled by that malware in an add on the MetService website (was a thing a year ago or so). Since then ... AdBlock everything.

    All I did was have MetService sitting open in a tab for a few hours, never clicked on any ad.

    Edit: This: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/di...ervice-website
    "MetService marketing manager Jacqui Bridges said its ad server was compromised by a malicious attack, through a vulnerability which allowed someone to upload a binary file into the database."

    Their ad server was hacked and malicious content inserted that way. So the fact the malware came through an "advertisement" was incidental really. The attackers might just as well have hacked the MetService website itself and inserted the code directly into the site, in which case Adblock wouldn't have helped.

    I presume your work computer was running vulnerable software. Your first line of defence should be: 1) Don't use IE, 2) Keep your chosen browser up to date, 3) Don't install any unnecessary extensions.

  17. Post
    #92
    Egor wrote:
    The attackers might just as well have hacked the MetService website itself and inserted the code directly into the site, in which case Adblock wouldn't have helped.

    .
    No Script would of blocked it hence the whole purpose of using no script

  18. Post
    #93
    Lethargic wrote:
    Not really.

    If the content is rendered when the page is loaded (which is the case these days), it doesn't need to be 'clicked'.
    Yep, I know that. Which is why I posted a whole bunch of reasons why it's unlikely. Please read it again.

  19. Post
    #94
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Yep, I know that. Which is why I posted a whole bunch of reasons why it's unlikely. Please read it again.
    Touché.