Results 1 to 19 of 19

  1. Post

    Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

    Read article...

  2. Post
    #2
    Tragic indeed. Alien: Isolation is the best true horror we've had in many, many years. In a market saturated with action-oriented horror, true horror games like this aren't being made so much anymore. Given these sales numbers, it's unlikely that this trend will change either.

    Shame on the consumer for forking out for the yearly release of [insert rushed, trite and buggy yearly iteration of an annualized franchise here] and leaving a creative and inspired labour of love like this to rot.
    Last edited by Xev; 22nd January 2015 at 5:48 pm.

  3. Post
    #3
    Agreed^
    This game was horror done well, relying less on jump scares (ala Dead Space) and more on the feeling of fear and helplessness as you are preyed on by an unkillable enemy. Quite exhilarating at times.

    Edit: This was balanced out nicely with other enemies that would succumb to your weaponry. A shotgun blast to the face of an enemy is a good way to ease any frustrations.
    Last edited by Tony Cipriani; 22nd January 2015 at 5:43 pm.

  4. Post
    #4
    I think the problem more than anything is that people got burned with Aliens Colonial Marines, and as such weren't prepared to take another chance, especially since it was also a SEGA published title. We all know a whole lot of gamers get the roles of developers and publishers confused and think they are the same thing. Which is a massive shame, because by all accounts, Alien: Isolation is pretty damn good game.

  5. Post
    #5
    Tony Cipriani wrote:
    Agreed^
    This game was horror done well, relying less on jump scares (ala Dead Space) and more on the feeling of fear and helplessness as you are preyed on by an unkillable enemy. Quite exhilarating at times.
    For me, it's a game that deserves to sell more copies. Sure it's not an indie title, or a game with a small budget and/or publisher, but Isolation was a product of passion and inspiration regardless. As I recall it, SEGA had no plans for a new Alien game - it was the developers themselves who came up with the idea and with enough of them wanting to get involved, they built a prototype and showed it off to SEGA who approved the development of Isolation.

    With sales figures like this, SEGA may be more hesitant to approve a sequel or something else of the sort. If that ever happens however and the same developers are on board, I'll be first in line.

  6. Post
    #6
    Chickenman wrote:
    I think the problem more than anything is that people got burned with Aliens Colonial Marines, and as such weren't prepared to take another chance, especially since it was also a SEGA published title. We all know a whole lot of gamers get the roles of developers and publishers confused and think they are the same thing. Which is a massive shame, because by all accounts, Alien: Isolation is pretty damn good game.
    This^ it can be tough for franchises to recover from a bad game unless it's 1 turd in a great track record.

    Hopefully it continues to sell so they get better numbers.

  7. Post
    #7
    Agreed with the idea that this is largely because people thought Colonial Marines was bad. Games in a series always have their sales influenced by the quality of the previous game.

  8. Post
    #8
    Spud of Doom wrote:
    Agreed with the idea that this is largely because people thought Colonial Marines was bad. Games in a series always have their sales influenced by the quality of the previous game.
    Partly this, but I don't think it's a game that just appeals to the masses.

  9. Post
    #9
    .. as above..

  10. Post
    #10
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Partly this, but I don't think it's a game that just appeals to the masses.
    I agree with this.

    Sure, both games are set in the same universe but they are completely different types of games.

    I for one wouldn't buy Isolation, not because I think its bad but because when I play a game, I want to be kickin ass not running scared, which, I imagine, a large number of gamers out there would agree with me.

    Still I am gutted that its not doing as well as in the sales department.

  11. Post
    #11
    no one ever said quality games sell more than hyped buggy rehashed

  12. Post
    #12
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    Partly this, but I don't think it's a game that just appeals to the masses.
    This, people aren't into hiding games that much. Amnesia was a cultural phenomenon but I don't think it's representative of the normal state of the games market.

    But in isolations defence, ACM hype sold many pre-orders and burnt them, then was selling for about $2.50 within 6 months of release.

  13. Post
    #13
    This makes me sad, I want to buy this game but I'm still working on backlog 6 months later

    A:CM was soo bad it made the AvP films look good, and that's saying something! (something like FU FOX, get a ****in' grip and stop shitting on the IP)

  14. Post
    #14
    Why do you people care about sales? Just play and enjoy games.

  15. Post
    #15
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Why do you people care about sales? Just play and enjoy games.
    Say what? I don't think anybody here is deciding (or not) to buy Aliens: Isolation based on the sales of the game. We're all just discussing and speculating here why sales might be bad, which is in the context of the article. Or is that not allowed anymore?

  16. Post
    #16
    Sales influence the decision on whether similar games like it will be made in the future - so I'm interested as to whether a game I like sold well.
    ...
    ...and what you mean "you people"!?

  17. Post
    #17
    Xev wrote:
    Tragic indeed. Alien: Isolation is the best true horror we've had in many, many years. In a market saturated with action-oriented horror, true horror games like this aren't being made so much anymore. Given these sales numbers, it's unlikely that this trend will change either.
    I disagree with that actually. For a very long time the horror market was dominated by games like Resident Evil. It's only recently we have had games like Amnesia: The Dark Decent, Outlast and now Alien: Isolation. And with upocoming games Asylum and Soma, things are starting to look up.

  18. Post
    #18
    Old thread I know - but I've only just played this game after getting it in a bargain bin sale and I have to say that this is a game that deserves so much more credit than bargain bin status! It was a truly gripping experience for me from start to finish, I can't believe it wasn't more popular.

  19. Post
    #19
    mistertata wrote:
    Old thread I know - but I've only just played this game after getting it in a bargain bin sale and I have to say that this is a game that deserves so much more credit than bargain bin status! It was a truly gripping experience for me from start to finish, I can't believe it wasn't more popular.
    That's probably because there's like a million indie horror games on steam right now.