1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Great article - interesting read.

Those screenshots... dem skyboxes.

3. Post
    I like that he is able to differentiate a sales pitch from the actual information, which was very scarce.

As usual, I'm not gonna point out the obvious goodness, but focus on less good things.

Like, Geralt's chain mail. It looks like his skin, instead of a separte piece of armour and it shrinks considerably around his waist, so much to begs the question how did he even get it on, over his broad, steroid buffed shoulders.

This is the thing that kind of bothered me in W2 as well, it feels like Geralt is one model with his equipment and armour, it doesn't feel natural and heavy.
    I may be biased, but I feel like W1 had a better feel in accentuating the difference between Geralt's model and his armour, sword, trophy hook etc.

4. Post
    bionic.man wrote:

Like, Geralt's chain mail. It looks like his skin, instead of a separte piece of armour and it shrinks considerably around his waist, so much to begs the question how did he even get it on, over his broad, steroid buffed shoulders.

This is the thing that kind of bothered me in W2 as well, it feels like Geralt is one model with his equipment and armour, it doesn't feel natural and heavy.
    I may be biased, but I feel like W1 had a better feel in accentuating the difference between Geralt's model and his armour, sword, trophy hook etc.
    Could be laced up the side under them straps? And if W1 looks like it was more 'clunky' its simply because the graphics were a disaster zone.

E- scoped out some promo images, looks like the sides of his armor are straight leather, i.e has chain pads front and back to stop from being gutted, and leather pads to keep it together. Plus chain is supposed to sit on the hips as well to distribute weight off the shoulders to the to the legs, which is why its generally found with a belt. If you want to bitch about Geralt's armor, poke at his armpits - they hit the modern stereotype of being relatively soft (pretend to hold a sword over your head and look under your arms).

Last edited by Nakor; 7th February 2015 at 7:39 pm.

5. Post
    Nakor wrote:
    Could be laced up the side under them straps? And if W1 looks like it was more 'clunky' its simply because the graphics were a disaster zone.
    +1

6. Post
    Ranting about how realistic the armour is in a fantasy game where you play as magical dude who hunts mythological monsters? Alright, carry on then.

7. Post
    His beard is just the right amount of gruff, not into Hipster territory..... which is a bonus.

8. Post
    lol nobody wud be caught dead wearing that.

the strip of chain mail just serves to visually elongate his torso to the point of looking bizarre. You cannot pull off that look with that shoulder-to-hip ratio. Um hello! And rectangular shoulder pads, lol, what r u, the last samurai?

What not to wear in the middle ages 101

9. Post
    clockblock wrote:
    lol nobody wud be caught dead wearing that.

the strip of chain mail just serves to visually elongate his torso to the point of looking bizarre. You cannot pull off that look with that shoulder-to-hip ratio. Um hello! And rectangular shoulder pads, lol, what r u, the last samurai?

What not to wear in the middle ages 101

10. Post
    Thank you :-)

Even though it's a fantasy game, the world itself is same like Europe middle ages, and equipment for the most part is the same.

This is pulling towards world of warcraft.

11. Post
    Nakor wrote:
    And if W1 looks like it was more 'clunky' its simply because the graphics were a disaster zone.
    I didn't say clunky. The graphics are outdated, but sufficient considering what they made out of oldish aurora engine.

In 1 it feels to me Geralt is moving more naturally and gracefully, and in combat especially his moves remind me of sword dancing, always balanced and on tiptoes.

In 2 it doesn't feel like he is encumbered by his heavier armour, and when moving the model looks like armour is his skin, as opposed to being an additional layer.

The evolution of Geralt and his body frame/armour:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_witcher-1-lg.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	201919

Name:	Geralt_w2.png 
Views:	373 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	201920

Name:	the_witcher_3___geralt.png 
Views:	484 
Size:	561.0 KB 
ID:	201921

Name:	2560x1080 (1)orc.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	201922
    Last edited by mintyOnion; 9th February 2015 at 6:56 pm.

12. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    [img]
    It's clockblock, so no.

13. Post
    bionic.man wrote:
    Thank you :-)

Even though it's a fantasy game, the world itself is same like Europe middle ages, and equipment for the most part is the same.

This is pulling towards world of warcraft.
    All I see is a Temerian brother who hits the squats and benches mad weight.
    Nothing wrong with a Witcher with Delts/Lats I reckon.

Wait, what are we talking about again?