1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    soo that is what blizzard makes 1 day? Yeah...

3. Post
    At the end of 2014 the WoW subscription base was sitting at 7.7 million. If Blizzard had donated just one months subscription on behalf of each of their subscribers, at the lowest rate (6 month rate = $12.99USD/month), they would have donated $100,023,000USD...

4. Post
    yeah well i really doubt EA would let them do so lol

5. Post
    Interesting how blizzard get criticism from people who have in all likelihood not donated a cent to anything in their lives.

6. Post
    1.6 million dollars is still a lot of money and a sizable donation, after-all it's better than giving nothing right?

7. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    Interesting how blizzard get criticism from people who have in all likelihood not donated a cent to anything in their lives.
    Was that aimed at me? I donate to various charities and volunteer on a regular basis but thanks for making an assumption...
    Blizzard's subscriber's donation (and it has to be highlighted that the donation was from Blizzard's subscribers, not Blizzard itself) is fantastic. I just get urked when organisations like Blizzard start blowing their "we're so charitable" trumpets when their annual revenue is 5 billion USD and their annual clear profit is over 1 billion USD...

8. Post
    Yeah nah, I think that's a pretty cynical way to look at the world.

9. Post
    Yes they're automatically immune to criticism because they donate to charity.

10. Post
    grieving wrote:
    Yes they're automatically immune to criticism because they donate to charity.
    Don't be facetious. They're not immune to criticism at all. I simply think that attacking them for facilitating a $2 million dollar donation to aid in ebola relief suggests an unnecessarily cagey worldview, and that sounds extremely exhausting to me: "A good deed? Clearly they're attempting to divert our attention!" Yeah, or maybe it's just a good deed...

There are plenty of valid criticisms to level at Blizzard and pretty much every other game company you care to name. When they actually help to do some good in the world is not one of them.

11. Post
    ^ pretty much... they're a business, one which makes a lot of money but also doesn't just sit there twiddling their thumbs. They don't have to do anything for charity and this article is just them stating the results of a thing that they did, rather than them "blowing their "we're so charitable" trumpets"

Such odd things to say.

12. Post
    not attacking Blizzard for facilitation a way by which their subscribers can donate to a worthy cause, just providing some context.
    The interwebs has many headlines on Blizzards donation... Blizzard become a socially concious corporate without actually contributing any funds of their own... which urks me.
    net result is positive and maybe I am being a bit cynical but how much better would the result have been if Blizzard said we'll match each dollar that our subscribers raise...

13. Post
    They do something like this pretty much every year.

14. Post
    Good on blizzard for doing this. It is better than nothing, but as the comments above have said it doesn't make them immune from criticism.

Put it in personal context if your annual pay rise was 1c an hour your would feel pretty gutted. Its still better than nothing, especially if you work your ass of for your company but they are still giving you extra money.

If they are truly making $100 per month from WoW subs then it is a tiny drop in a big ass pool. They could have matched all of the subs then they would have given less than 0.002% of the money they make from the subscriptions in a year from a game they made 10 years ago.

Its cool Blizzard did this, but they make billions a year, and the money came from the fans. Pointing out the context is fair.