Bloodstained | Kickstarter from former Castlevania Producer Koji Igarashi

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 26 to 50 of 56

  1. Post
    #26
    Isn't Brutal Legend available on PC now?

    Also, I don't see that his Kickstarter is any worse than Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity, regardless of his business descisions.
    Neither of those games managed to grasp the full glory of their predecessors.

    Sorry for this offtopic, just didn't see reason to go over the top, people should learn what to expect from Kickstarter games by now.

  2. Post
    #27
    bionic.man wrote:
    Isn't Brutal Legend available on PC now?

    Also, I don't see that his Kickstarter is any worse than Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity, regardless of his business descisions.
    Neither of those games managed to grasp the full glory of their predecessors.

    Sorry for this offtopic, just didn't see reason to go over the top, people should learn what to expect from Kickstarter games by now.
    That's purely subjective. Both those games were fantastic imo, and PoE in particular was exceptional. Broken Age was too short, and tbh the final product was far below the quality expected from the time/money spent on it. Remember its the game that kicked it all off, and only recently released its final part. IS woefully short, technically underwhelming, and sourced a lot of additional funds in the interum. Compare it to any project that collected the same(ish) amount of funding and you'll see that really it underwhelmed. It took almost as long to deliver pt2 of Broken Age and most of the work had to have been done for pt1. Tim is a great designer, and a terrible project manager.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 14th June 2015 at 6:26 pm.

  3. Post
    #28
    bionic.man wrote:
    Isn't Brutal Legend available on PC now?
    Yeah, released three years later, which is besides the point. Itís the douchey thing that he said at the time which is what I have issue with. Eg I like what CliffyB said about PC gamers and gaming prior to the release of Gears 2, yet he's come crawling back recently.

  4. Post
    #29
    pyrocore wrote:
    That's purely subjective. Both those games were fantastic imo, and PoE in particular was exceptional.
    Well, we're both being subjective here, that much is obvious.

    So, you would place WL2 and POE next to the all time greats from black isle?

    WL2 was released in what ppl described beta, only with the recent complete overhaul and bug crunch does it represent a finished product. The story is on indie lvl, with a bare minimum of under average voice acting.

    POE while technically and graphically polished, was rather lacking story/character wise. Certainly nowhere near BG series. Chris Avellone stating inExile listened to him more than Obsidian, and now leaving the studio speaks volumes.

    So, to go back to the original statement, neither of these Kickstarters managed to deliver the full scope of the old games, you just prefer spots filled in some more than others.

    It's quite clear a few mil is not enough to make AAA quality, which is understandable.

  5. Post
    #30
    i would suggest you actually look at how the games were generally received before using your opinion as some barometer of how well the games lived up to their "potential".

    I would put PoE on a par with the IE games generally speaking, and Wasteland 2 is a great sequel to the original. I'm going to assume you've never played it. I dont care about the voice acting, it was fine, and if you think that it not being fully voiced is a reason to think less of it then there is little point in continuing this conversation because I have no respect for an opinion such as that.

    The issue I have with a lot of the Wasteland 2 comments was that many of them were commenting on the pre-release/ea version. Even so it was a buggy mess initially, but after the 2nd patch it was just fine. As a long time Wasteland fan I really enjoyed it. I felt it captured Wasteland very well. The dipshits that were comparing it to Fallout should be ignored because it is not a Fallout game. Never was. Never will be. The most recent build however is excellent and an excellent game unto itself, and the new version releasing soon should be even better. Kind of like The Witcher Enhanced Editions.

    PoE on the other hand more than delivered, and your insistence that the general consensus is that it did not is based on what? I would also ask why the BG series is being used as the sole yard stick here? There are 5 Infinity Engine games and BG was not developed by anyone at Obsidian. They aimed to release a game harking back to the IE games, and that's just what they did. Icewind Dale and Planescape included. Using what is considered by many to be the best RPG ever made, and then saying, "well shit you didn't make a game on par with this, therefore you failed to deliver on your promise" is unrealistic and frankly idiotic. PoE stands alongside those games, but you're correct it does not reach the heights of BGII (I would argue that is on par with BG1 however), but no game really ever has reached that level. KoTOR maybe, The Witcher 3 perhaps, but even the team that made BGII with a massive budget and 5+ years of dev time never replicated that magic. As great as Dragon Age: Origins was it was inferior to BGII despite the core design aiming to be true to that legacy.

    You use of "scope" is objectively incorrect as well. Wasteland 2 has a far wider scope than Wasteland in terms of story, and mechanics. Sure the game world is smaller, but its also far more detailed.
    The scope of PoE is easily on par with any of the IE games. Simillar game size, location variety, mechanics, NPC,s and story are all consistent with all of the IE games, with perhaps BGII being the exception if you also include the expansion.

    I know that score aggregation is not the best measure to use, but there is nothing else out there atm. Did they live up to their legacy?


    Wasteland 2 maybe not, but I've not spoken to a single fan of the original Wasteland who did not think that Wasteland 2 was a worthy sequel. I've spoken to a few who didn't think it lived up to the Fallouts, but why the hell should it. They offer different types of experiences, and if I was wanting/expecting an Fallout like game from Wasteland I too would have been disappointed.
    Last edited by ChrisB; 15th June 2015 at 2:19 pm.

  6. Post
    #31
    Fallout 3 was generally well received as a sequel, so much for generally received comparison. I'm lining my train of thought with nma hc crowd.

    That chart is more a result of 10-15 year nostalgic gap and a bunch of shitty games in between, than the actual picture. If they released PoE in early 2000 it would be rated as a watered down IWD story wise.

    Look, I'm not trying to change your well cemented opinion, nor argue against your taste, just saying most Kickstarters lack in something from being a AAA game. It's always a trade off.

    Broken age has no major bugs, a fantastic hand drawn graphics, excellent voice acting, good simple story and a wierd mixture of puzzles. It could have been more, but well worth the price, just like the aforementioned games.
    Last edited by mintyOnion; 15th June 2015 at 3:42 pm.

  7. Post
    #32
    bionic.man wrote:
    If they released PoE in early 2000 it would be rated as a watered down IWD story wise.
    I'm a little tired of you posting your bias as being some sort of truth. That statement is ridiculous, hyperbolic, and just untrue. How about you go back and play IWD and then comment, because I think the nostalgia glasses are being worn by you.
    PoE is easily on par with the IE games, I would suggest your expectations were based on an inflated idea of that those games actually are. I adore the IE games, but have the perspective to actually see them as they are, and this is coming from someone who considered Ps:T as the best PC game ever.

    IWD 1 and 2 are very fun albeit linear dungeon crawlers with a great but minimalist story. If you claim PoE is a watered-down IWD you're either lying for effect, or have never played them. I love the IWD games but they arw not complex when compared to PoE, or wider in scope, or deeper with their storytelling. They are combat focused dungeon crawlers, and I personally enjoy the combat in PoE more.

    Sure KS games will not be AAA games. That is beside the point. AAA games are a constructed ideal created by marketers in the early 2000's. It means nothing except as a marker of a title with a shit ton of money behind it. Its not a marker of quality.

  8. Post
    #33
    I'm just going to say it was great seeing my fave Youtubers Video Games Awesome doing that final stream.

    Was a great watch as usual but even better having legends like Ippo involved.

  9. Post
    #34


    Heres the whole stream for anyone who wanted to watch for the interviews etc

  10. Post
    #35
    This is looking fantastic so far! Don't let us down Iga.
    youtube.com/watch?v=kTVYb6xeUcU

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

  11. Post
    #36
    We've got ourselves some release dates!

    Bloodstained will be launching June 18, 2019 on Steam, GoG, PS4 and XB1, and on June 25, 2019 for Switch.

  12. Post
    #37
    Nice, closer than I expected.

  13. Post
    #38
    I've been playing through SotN lately as I just found my PSP in my luggage. I thought this game had been released ages ago? I thought I remembered reading reviews or was I dreamin'

  14. Post
    #39
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    I thought this game had been released ages ago? I thought I remembered reading reviews or was I dreamin'
    There was an 8-bit prequel game released about a year ago.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/8...e_of_the_Moon/

  15. Post
    #40
    ah I see, thanks man

  16. Post
    #41
    This game looks awesome

  17. Post
    #42
    Gawd this game better be difficult. SotN is too damn easy although I've only just entered the reverse castle

  18. Post
    #43
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    . SotN is too damn easy although I've only just entered the reverse castle
    Play Rondo of Blood. You won't be singing the same tune.

  19. Post
    #44
    Wow! Amazing art from Ayami Kojima.

    Name:  443657dc44e4f7af72963f864be26a38_original.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  274.6 KB

    We're less than a week away from release.

  20. Post
    #45
    It's out now, seems like a crowdfunding success. Jim Sterling is crowing from the rooftops about it.



  21. Post
    #46
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Jim Sterling is crowing from the rooftops about it.
    Way to dampen my enthusiasm, that guy is such an insufferable douchebag.

  22. Post
    #47
    100% in the on this. Will wait for the Switch version in a weeks time.

  23. Post
    #48
    i like the weapon variety. but in all other ways this game is not as good as SOTN. also a game of this low graphical fidelity should not have even one glitch let alone dozens.

    not hating the game but constantly have the feeling of "i may as well just play symphony again"

  24. Post
    #49
    anyone done anything with shard enhancement? i enhanced the arrow one saying it would give more arrows at once and got no extra. enhanced another 3 times.... still nothing.

  25. Post
    #50
    I just finished SOTN last week. I did enjoy it but it was really too easy. There are a couple of things I could have done to make it a bit tougher I guess - eg. no Circlet of Beryl. I only learned what Familiars were about 75% through the game, and I hardly used any magic except maybe Wing Smash.

    I think I might pick up a cheap DS and play through the two games on that system next. I will also pick up Rondo of Blood on my PSP, but it really struggled in SNES emulation