Headphones for PC gaming

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Headphones for PC gaming

Now that I have a full beast PC, I'm turning my head to audio needs. My Audiotechnica ATH-500s that I bought like ~7 years ago is on its last legs.

• Not really interested in "7.1 gaming ZOMG" gear like Turtle Beach, but will give a look in if you're adamant about the quality of a particular pair. If I was doing some online console gaming too I'd definitely more strongly consider a platform agnostic gaming heatset, but that's incredibly unlikely.
    • Audio quality is pretty important. I'm willing to pay for quality, but within reason. Current budget will be $300.
    • My sound card is a Creative X-Fi Titanium. Would it pay to get a headphone amp too? I don't think the sound card has a boosted headphone port.
    • I should probably mention that do ALL of my media consumption on my PC, so TV, movies, music too.

Currently considering this one, Audiotechnica ATH-M50X. The detachable cable is a big selling point for me and also the lack of the "3D wing" head pads that the ATH-Ax00/ADx00 models have. M50s are supposed to be studio and DJ headphones, so they should be durable as hell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audio-technica-ath-m50x-01.504.jpg 
Views:	4071 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	204566

2. Post
    Someone get CK in here.

3. Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B0006NL5SM

Beyerdynamic DT770 - if you're after something closed back, super comfortable and with really solid sound then they're awesome for the price. Much much better than the M50s imo. M50s are okay but I didn't find them overly comfortable for long periods of time and the sound didn't really suit gaming so much

4. Post
    I think I found a photo of Subculture.

Name:	91d75l4uOyL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	204567

5. Post
    I highly recommend these. You may get them cheaper overseas to stay in budget

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=20792

Or if you don't need the mic, the 700s are good too or 900s if you want to spend more

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=20287

6. Post
    Don't forget to use "QUEEN7off" on CL for 8% discount

7. Post
    5.1 headphones not considered any good for gaming?

8. Post
    AKG K7XX from Massdrop for just over $300?

Massdrop also have the Philips Fidelio L1 for $160NZ shipped.

Whatever Grado fits best within your budget.

Sennheiser HDD 558/598 or Momentum over ears (probably need to import, Sennheiser local prices are pretty poor),

Amp would only be necessary for higher end stuff, or certain headphones. Most of the stuff mentioned above, or the M50s you're looking at will be fine without, but those AKGs generally get some benefit from a decent amp, though they work just fine without.

9. Post
    I'm reasonably happy with DT770 but if I was buying again I'd go for an open design actually.
    Watching a movie is all good, but for gaming I don't like using a mic with covered ears, plus get mad ear sweats when I do an all-evening marathon. Some of the closed designs might be a little looser, but still something to consider.

10. Post
    Skorky wrote:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B0006NL5SM

Beyerdynamic DT770 - if you're after something closed back, super comfortable and with really solid sound then they're awesome for the price. Much much better than the M50s imo. M50s are okay but I didn't find them overly comfortable for long periods of time and the sound didn't really suit gaming so much
    This. Whenever I'm not using my Logitech G930 for wireless and mic purposes, Beyerdynamic 770 Pro is on the job. Studio quality, and you don't need an amp. Would recommend.

11. Post
    How do the Beyer DT880s and 990s stack up against 770s? I'm keen to give open design a try, given all of this talk of "sound stage" being good for gaming.
    Bloody wrote:
    5.1 headphones not considered any good for gaming?
    Mainstream "gaming" headsets generally are known for having shite AQ. Audiophile quality stereo headphones + surround virtualisation software are a much better option. A lot of 5.1/7.1 surround "gaming" headsets on the market are really just in stereo with utilising virtualisation technologies anyway, not many are truly discrete.

12. Post
    Staff discount at Noel leemings for audio technica m70s is about the same as m50s retail if you can get it. 70s don't have the warm bass or sparkly highs of 50s, much cleaner sound to my ears.

13. Post
    I have the Shure Shr440, which was a ton better than what I had prior. Awesome headphones for the price. Also has detachable cable.

You could probably aim for shr840 - About 300ish.

14. Post
    I have the Audio Technica ADH-700's and they are very nice 'phones. Extremely comfortable, lightweight and the sound quality is very good (especially for the price).

They have amazing highs and mids, bass is average.

I too find having open headphones pretty nice, you can wear them literally all day and not feel any discomfort. Random minor background noises won't distract you but you can still hear anything important going on.

Downside is obviously that they have no microphone which can be a bit annoying depending what microphone setup you have/have the budget for. Personally I have to use push to talk with my gaming mates or they get pissed off with my mechanical keyboard going HAM in the background.

These are probably a little under budget for you but I can definitely recommend them.

15. Post
    I'm yet to see noice cancelling mics that work correctly. Cant beat push to talk in vent

16. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    How do the Beyer DT880s and 990s stack up against 770s? I'm keen to give open design a try, given all of this talk of "sound stage" being good for gaming.
    I think the 990s would be better for gaming but we'd be getting pretty nitpicky at that point - both would be great for gaming tbh, they're known for better SQ than the 770s overall, depending on which model you get.

I've been thinking of selling my AKG K7xxs which are really solid for gaming, and probably the most comfortable pair of headphones I've worn (really light, great earpads) but they're also available here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7x...ion-headphones you'd just have to wait a while

17. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    I'm yet to see noice cancelling mics that work correctly. Cant beat push to talk in vent
    I dunno but most of the people I play games with use the Astro A40's with voice activation and have no issues.

18. Post
    Got my m50x today. wasnt too impressed with it so far because the treble sounds too harsh and atm i prefer my $30 phillips headphones.

will see if it improves over time

19. Post
    I know this won't go down well.. but to be completely honest, my Logitech G930s have been the best gaming headset I've used with better bass than my Astro A50s and nearly as good sound quality as my Technics/Sennheiser/Beats DJ headphone roster.

Wireless is just better IMO, I ****ing hate cords when gaming... and you would have enough $ left over to buy a couple nice single malts, winning in my books.

20. Post
    Philips shp9500 are great, crazy comfort and sound for the price. They were on Massdrop last week.
    Philips X2 are awesome, best all-rounders I've tried. Open but don't leak as much as others.
    K7XX also very good, but I'd rather pay more for the build, comfort and sound of the X2... which I did :P

21. Post
    Im not a big audio person but Logitech G35s are a great headset.

Ive had a lot of different headsets over the years but the ones i keep going back to is the Logitech G35. First got it back in 2010 and where going great until i broke them when i ran them over with the chair i tried turtlebeach, Sennheiser and several other brands but in the end i got another G35 set and they have lasted 2 years now. I will most likely go wireless with G930s when these ones crap out.

22. Post
    HD598 + Modmic

^ My current setup, would never touch a headset again. Might swap the 598s out for something else at some point but so far I've found nothing I like better.

Would not bother with m50x, by all accounts they're hyped a lot and don't really deliver.

23. Post
    lol, don't get Logitech G35's... sorry plague but those are terrible headsets...

I'm using a Sennheiser PC350, which i love to bits. Very durable, microphone is solid and comfort is perfect. Your ears don't get hot, they don't hurt at all since the cups are so massive and the sound they produce is killer. If you get these, you need a sound card to amplify the volume, onboard won't do... get yourself an Asus Xonar, low price and produces awesome sound for gaming/music.

Name:	square_louped_PC350.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	204668

One drawback is the volume controls on the wire, it always feels heavy and gets caught between my left leg and my chair... very annoying. If i had to get another Sennheiser it would be the G4ME Zero series

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=21985

amazing... all the sound controls are on the ear cup, leaving you with a clean cord from headset to pc. Shit I might actually buy them lol.

Your ATH-M50X that you're eyeing up are solid too, but I would only use those for music...

24. Post
    Yeah i also use PC350's and definetly recommend them for gaming. They have awesome noise isolation and a very comfortable. The downside is the bass is pretty lacking (even with a sound card) so wouldn't use them for music or movies.

25. Post
    If you want a mic, Audio Technica ATH-ADG1:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/comp...p?partid=20791

I use these. They're awesome. I was recommended them here a while back and never looked back.

They also come with a single cable for plugging into PS4 controller, but have an extension lead that splits them back into PC inputs by separating mic/speaker.