1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Thanks for watering down and rewriting my question to one that they can just simply reply "because of your laws" and move on, despite the fact that I brought it up because we don't actually have any laws preventing them including us in their sweepstakes.

3. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Thanks for watering down and rewriting my question to one that they can just simply reply "because of your laws" and move on, despite the fact that I brought it up because we don't actually have any laws preventing them including us in their sweepstakes.
    I asked your question in full, and their answer was as above. I don't see them referring to any laws?

Only shortened it here for readability.

4. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    I asked your question in full, and their answer was as above. I don't see them referring to any laws?

I also read their answer, and could see no mention of any laws.

5. Post
    Matt M wrote:

If the question was asked as it is printed here, then they would refer it to their lawyers who would reply "blah blah NZ laws blah".

If you really did provide my full question from the other thread, and they pass on my bit about the definition of "gambling" in our Gambling Act, then thank you, I'll be interested to see what they come up with!

6. Post
    Good interview imo.

7. Post
    That's very cool that their matchmaker is thinking about team makeup. I really like the concept of picking the hero you want to play before queuing, something dota could certainly benefit from.

having now tried HoTS since posing my question, I completely agree with their design decisions. The games are fast enough that even if you get a bad matchup, it's not too bad. Also, end game comebacks are certainly possible if you can catch the enemy team out. So far the team that works together wins from what I have seen. Which is very unlike Dota. Pub games of dota the end game is more determined by the matchup, you could have early game picks and be really wiping the floor with the enemy but if they have late game picks and you delay finishing the job they will flip the match on you. HoTS doesn't really feel like this happens because the matchmaking is more even on support / carry / tank.

Having played dota and hots its pretty tough to compare them, they are actually very different in practise. Dota definitely has more depth to it, but it's not necessarily a better game, just different. HoTS matches are very fast in comparison, feels more light hearted and a different style of play. I can see myself playing both games really, depending on my mood.

8. Post
    ^ Interesting to hear about them changing the matchmaker, that was one big issue that really spoiled HotS for me, was that there seemed to be no consistency to the matchmaking system, you might end up in a team of 5 assasins, when the other team gets a tank and two healers - making some games total facerolls on one side or the other.

9. Post
    ^ Yeah I used to have huge troubles in Alpha with just that.

Picked it up in the last few days again and noticing its muuuuuch better.

10. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    I'll be interested to see what they come up with!
    It's with Aussie PR at the moment. Will keep you in the loop!

claxer wrote:
    snip
    Excellent info, thanks

11. Post
    Any word?

12. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Any word?
    Nothing yet, but trying to get anything out of PR within a month of E3 is like wringing blood from a stone. Will follow up after the madness dies down.