Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Now how could that have happened? :P

3. Post
    I played Shenmue 1 and 2... and enjoyed them at the time. But I'm not really sure how that game would do in 2015, what they'd do to make it stand out... and how they're going to fund it beyond the kickstarter...

But will keep an eye on it..

4. Thumbs up
    drunk_monk wrote:
    Now how could that have happened? :P
    Haha You donated 2 million?

Thank you so much

5. Post
    $6.3+ million raised making it the most funded game ever on Kickstarter, beating Bloodstained's previous record of $5.5+ million.

Now we wait for Sega to come to the party with remasters of Shenmue 1 & 2. I will be all over that if it drops on Steam, especially Shen 1 which was sadly never ported to oXbox. Watching a glorified Let's Play in DVD movie form isn't the same.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 19th July 2015 at 6:08 pm.

6. Post
    This campaign should never have been allowed to run. Complete and utter bullshit imo.

Congrats on opening the door for publishers to use crowd funding to partially fund games and cut their advertising budgets.

7. Post

The transparency is right there. Some Kickstarters, like the one for Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Star Citizen (initially. Now it's 100% crowd-funded), are about proving to investors that interest exists for a product.
    If we do not reach our funding goal, Shenmue 3 will not go forward.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-3/description
    Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-3/description
    Asking consumers to "shut up and put your their money where their mouth is" essentially. OF COURSE Sony is bankrolling some of Shenmue 3 (clearly not 100%, otherwise there'd be no PC version); $2 million sure as hell ain't gonna fund an UE4-powered open world game. Investors want to make projects less risk-averse for themselves, so what? Vote with your dollar and don't back a particular Kickstarter if you agree with it.

A lot of crowd-funded games often are not 100% funded by Kickstarter anyway, especially not higher profile ones. Eg Double Fine put an additional $2 million into Broken Age of their own money (before Steam Early Access sales); InXile is putting their own money into Bard's Tale IV; Mighty No. 9 added Japanese voice acting and funded DLC development thanks to publisher Deep Silver; The Mandate is getting an expanded orchestral soundtrack thanks to publisher Iceberg Interactive; etc.

8. Post
    I dont give a flying **** about transparency. Or where devs source money from after/during the campaign.

No large publisher should go anywhere near KS or Indiegogo. Start their own program.

Your examples are so far off the mark I don't know why you'd bother to mention them at all.

This campaign was/is a joke. Sony is going to throw money at this is a huge way, and actually needs to if its gong to see the light of day. The entire thng was purely a PR stunt. If you backed this then you've been played. There are plenty of ways to establish demand for something, and in this case the funds from the backers was not needed to make the game. The outcome would have been the same with a sign-in Sony website where people could sign in as wanting the game to be made.

The money is irrelevant, its only the numbers that mean anything, and that's why the campaign is bullshit.

9. Post
    I don't know why Sony is getting praise for this, if they didn't want to fund the whole thing 100% then obviously they aren't 100% behind it despite having both the money and the PR. Launching a kickstarter from E3 is a disgrace, but no doubt more companies will start doing it for as long as it works.

10. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    There are plenty of ways to establish demand for something, and in this case the funds from the backers was not needed to make the game. The outcome would have been the same with a sign-in Sony website where people could sign in as wanting the game to be made.
    "Sign a petition" essentially. Petitions are bullshit, like people RSVPing for an event through Facebook, a lot of those of people who say "oh yes, I would come" usually won't show up. "Put your money where your mouth is" is the only sure thing.

People like to over-blow modern day reverence of Shenmue. "Oh yeah, everybody wants it! It's a sure thing!" No it wasn't. It's a cult franchise that saw limited release ~14 years on exclusively on some lesser financially successful console platforms. We've seen an entire generation of gamers grow into adulthood since then. It's perfectly reasonable why an investor would want to makes things less risk averse by testing to see if there actually was an audience who still gave a shit about the franchise today.

11. Post
    A petition and a Publisher lead and hosted sign-in website are not the same thing. You're just wrong here. Just someone in denial about being played by a giant publisher. Your justifications mean nothing Eva, so you can just stop trying.

12. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    You're just wrong here. Just someone in denial about being played by a giant publisher.
    Name:  628x471.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  46.3 KB

13. Post
    I was hoping they'd get a Xbox one release but nope PS4 and PC, so I think Sony got the console rights. I bet my laptop wouldn't be able to run this game at all.

14. Post
    Considering how much the original game cost, how is this going to work on 6 million? Is Sony really going to fund the rest?

15. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Name:  628x471.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  46.3 KB
    You really don't understand that that means do you.

In the end a bunch of fools needlessly joined in on a PR stunt and paid for the privilege. Seems that pic better represents a lack of brain from backers, than the strawman you claim.

WarZoner wrote:
    I was hoping they'd get a Xbox one release but nope PS4 and PC, so I think Sony got the console rights. I bet my laptop wouldn't be able to run this game at all.
    Console rights? See the problem? How can a game needing crowd-funding have Sony as a publisher beforehand? It cant. Sony is backing this. Always was. The whole thing was a stunt. Hence the E3 Sony announcement.

Krichul wrote:
    Considering how much the original game cost, how is this going to work on 6 million? Is Sony really going to fund the rest?
    Its not. It never was. Sony will bankroll the full development. Like they always were going to. The money from the KS is quite literally beside the point here.

16. Post
    Who cares? It's a free world. People want to give money to this? Let them.

Another pointless moralistic rage-fest by Pyrocore.

17. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    Its not. It never was. Sony will bankroll the full development. Like they always were going to. The money from the KS is quite literally beside the point here.
    If Sony was funding it all, it wouldn't have a chance at all to be released on PC & Sony would want the IP. Most likely Sony will help development, helped the kickstarter (which happened at E3) & pay for marketing.

Or in the super rare chance Sony would allow a PC version & funding it all, they would of cancelled the game if KS failed since its a really really high risk game to develop, the better KS does the more resources they'll risk.

18. Post
    deja_dead wrote:
    Who cares? It's a free world. People want to give money to this? Let them.

Another pointless moralistic rage-fest by Pyrocore.
    Lol. Yeah so much rage. Get a clue.

19. Post
    Are you angry because they launched a PR campaign which is funded by backers ? You got to admit it is pretty smart of them..

20. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Are you angry because they launched a PR campaign which is funded by backers ? You got to admit it is pretty smart of them..
    Im not angry, but its a dick move.

21. Post
    pyrocore wrote:
    Im not angry, but its a dick move.
    its is not so bad pyro, most of the backers will get a game for their backing and Sony gets free PR + pre orders.

22. Post
    Sega considering Shenmue 1 & 2
    remasters. Make it so, Mr. Sulu! http://nr.news-republic.com/Web/Arti...adblockbrowser

23. Post
    I hope so. I want to find out why people were so excited about shenmue 3.

24. Post
    I'd buy that for $1. Actually much more than $1.

Story missed out that the guy who did that remastered area in the video they linked is actually now hired and working on Shenmue III.

25. Post
    drunk_monk wrote:
    I hope so. I want to find out why people were so excited about shenmue 3.
    If you have a working Xbox 360 then you could track down a oXbox copy of Shenmue 2, fully backward compatible AFAIK.
    Estumas wrote:
    Story missed out that the guy who did that remastered area in the video they linked is actually now hired and working on Shenmue III.
    That's cool of them (the developer)! Congrats to the homebrew guy too on landing an industry gig through sheer passion.