Disputing a Parking Enforcement Services (Wilson Parking) fine.

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Wilson are scumbags. GP should go all GP army on them to fight OP's fine.
    AaronAFK signal.

2. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    I know more about the law of evidence than you can possibly assume.
    Dis gun' be good.

I'd put money on Tormenta knowing more about how evidence is handled in a courtroom than you. Since he works in a courtroom, and all.

3. Post
    Got some parking ticket "drama" myself presently. Ages ago (I posted about it somewhere) we had our two cars both ticketed for the same offence (as they were parked right next to each other). I decided to experiment and sent in two identical (expect for infringement notice number, car particulars, and some formatting) letters, in separate envelopes, disputing the tickets. One letter they accepted without issue and wiped the fine, the other they refused to do so.

Since then there has been some fairly humorous backwards and forwards with them trying to understand the reasoning for this - so far they refuse to acknowledge that there is any inconsistency with their process, and essentially ignore any questions as to their rationale. It's pretty amusing.

At this point the sporadic correspondence on the issue is just something to fill in a few minutes, with no real jeopardy associated with it.

4. Post
    theradio wrote:
    Since he works in a courtroom, and all.
    Cleaners also work in courtrooms... Just saying...

5. Post
    Shit just got multiplied by its complex conjugate.

6. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Cleaners also work in courtrooms... Just saying...
    Usually not when court is in session, and their job doesn't involve paying very close attention to everything that is going on

7. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Lack of followup from OP, I call shenanigans.
    I've been busy.

Melchiah wrote:
    3: When you get their response letter saying they want the whole amount just respond that if they aren't even going to read or properly respond to your offer that this will be your final communication with them and further discussions will need to be via the disputes tribunal.

4: Then it's just a case of putting the subsequent few letters on the noticeboard at work so your workmates can lol at them and after a couple they'll send one saying you win we won't bother trying to get the money from you. Worked several times for me.
    Zeon wrote:
    If you dispute a cost my understanding is that it can't be considered a debt for the purposes of collections?
    Can they go straight to debt collectors (whatever they are called) or would it go through the disputes tribunal first? Basically who decides if the debt is in dispute?

8. Post
    WillAY wrote:

Since then there has been some fairly humorous backwards and forwards with them trying to understand the reasoning for this - so far they refuse to acknowledge that there is any inconsistency with their process, and essentially ignore any questions as to their rationale. It's pretty amusing.

At this point the sporadic correspondence on the issue is just something to fill in a few minutes, with no real jeopardy associated with it.
    How are you actually getting in contact with them? By writing?

9. Post
    axon wrote:
    How are you actually getting in contact with them? By writing?
    Of course.

10. Post
    Here is their response:

They seem to conveniently miss my point that the 'fee' is for liquidated damages and must not be punitive...

11. Post
    To answer someones question earlier.

Afaik: Debt recovery firms will not accept amounts that are in dispute so you just need to notify the creditor and if you are contacted by a debt collector you should advise them that it is in dispute.

12. Post
    I received a parking ticket in the mail from Wilsons. It was $80 and said I had parked at Forsyth Barr in Dunedin. Except I hadn't been to Dunedin for over a year. Also I have a personalised plate but the plate that was on my fine was my old one that I sent back several years ago.

Are plates reissued after they're sent back? I'm assuming my address is still associated with that plate even though it's no longer registered to me.

13. Post
    kiwijunglist wrote:
    To answer someones question earlier.

Afaik: Debt recovery firms will not accept amounts that are in dispute so you just need to notify the creditor and if you are contacted by a debt collector you should advise them that it is in dispute.
    The company will send you a letter saying that if you wish to dispute the sum owed then you need to do so through the Disputes Tribunal, otherwise they will forward to their debt collection agency. Clearly it's not worth paying the fee to take such a small debt through the tribunal so you just ignore it, and then deal with the debt collectors.

14. Post
    Mehrts wrote:
    I received a parking ticket in the mail from Wilsons. It was $80 and said I had parked at Forsyth Barr in Dunedin. Except I hadn't been to Dunedin for over a year. Also I have a personalised plate but the plate that was on my fine was my old one that I sent back several years ago.

Are plates reissued after they're sent back? I'm assuming my address is still associated with that plate even though it's no longer registered to me.
    They aren't reissued, it would have been a typo when they entered the plate.

15. Post
    Jizah wrote:
    They aren't reissued, it would have been a typo when they entered the plate.
    But he said he hasn't used that plate in several years. Does a returned plate still keep the previous owners details? Surely there is a check in place to say "hey you can't fine him for that, he deregistered that plate years ago"?

16. Post
    I'd just send a letter explaining that you aren't in breach of any contract and are writing to make it clear that you dispute the "breach notice" but have made a good faith offer of paying the parking fee which they have refused to acknowledge and instead insist on implying some legal precedent for their strong-arm tactics. If they won't be reasonable then you have no choice but to end communication with them and they are welcome to continue discussions in the desputes tribunal.

17. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    But he said he hasn't used that plate in several years. Does a returned plate still keep the previous owners details? Surely there is a check in place to say "hey you can't fine him for that, he deregistered that plate years ago"?
    They are told the plate is no longer on a vehicle. Doesn't stop them being bloody minded about it and still fining the last known owner though.

18. Post
    GhoX wrote:

I know more about the law of evidence than you can possibly assume. Go back to studying your half-baked law notes or something. You already failed to identify the issue as one of private instead of one of state in the first instance.
    Haha, what a douche-nozzle. Second year law student?

19. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Haha, what a douche-nozzle. Second year law student?
    I'm guessing first semester student.

20. Post
    The evidences seem to indicate that.

21. Post
    He claimed in the CGA thread that retailers have the right under the CGA to just offer store credit. So, yeah.

22. Post
    axon wrote:
    Here is their response:

They seem to conveniently miss my point that the 'fee' is for liquidated damages and must not be punitive...
    Keep up the good fight. Potential HOF status.

23. Post
    I have been through all this before with Wilson Parking. As soon as you file a disputes tribunal case against them they will cancel your infringement. I know this because I forced them to continue with the case anyway, saying that I wanted reimbursement for my time and tribunal fees. I didn't get that but at least I wasted their time, and the guy was actually quite friendly (the joys of riding a motorbike, other bikers get on with you :P) and he told me that they will always cancel any infringement that goes to disputes tribunal in order to save time. So I suggest to anyone else with an infringement with these guys to just file a disputes tribunal straight away and not even bother writing letters to them. They will cancel the infringement and you will get off with just paying disputes tribunal fees instead of their infringement fee. (in my case it wasn't even a lot less, but that wasn't really the point)

Disclaimer: This was in Wellington - Auckland Wilson Parking may work differently.

24. Post
    The disputes tribunal cannot award fees incurred in filing a claim.

Isn't the fee like $100 though?

25. Post
    $45 for under $2000.

It's gone up in recent years; i paid $30 to take EB Games to the DT over $1.20 worth of parking and about $2 worth of petrol. It's a cool story, bro.