Best Free Security Programs For New PC?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 51 to 75 of 157

  1. Post
    #51
    refused wrote:
    What does Vulcan use?
    .
    Either McAfee (enterprise, not the shitty consumer stuff) or Kaspersky, With malwarebytes as well. I don't waste my time on PC software firewalls, they're a waste of CPU cycles. Hardware firewall yes, with Gateway AV on it.

  2. Post
    #52
    Vulcan wrote:
    Either McAfee (enterprise, not the shitty consumer stuff) or Kaspersky, With malwarebytes as well. I don't waste my time on PC software firewalls, they're a waste of CPU cycles. Hardware firewall yes, with Gateway AV on it.
    John macfee says its one of the worst products
    https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comm...ee_ama/cu9vnjn

  3. Post
    #53
    gpig wrote:
    John macfee says its one of the worst products
    https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comm...ee_ama/cu9vnjn
    You know the guy is ****in isane though right? Like completely bonkers?

  4. Post
    #54
    Like banging 16 year olds in Belize and hiding in the sand from Police bonkers?

  5. Post
    #55
    What got me was the Symantec rep once saying to me that the home user software is the beta versions they use for corporate editions.

  6. Post
    #56
    bzE wrote:
    Like banging 16 year olds in Belize and hiding in the sand from Police bonkers?
    A polite way to put it, yeah.

  7. Post
    #57
    /bump

    Thought I remembered seeing this thread last year.

    Was just looking at renewing my Kaspersky license since it was coming up due soon. Went to their website and lo and behold, the Internet Security Multi Device 1 year license is "sold out", but you can still buy the 2 year license! That's a funny thing considering its a purely digital product...

    What a crock of shit that is. Real scummy thing to do, think I'll look elsewhere or buy a key off Kinguin.

  8. Post
    #58
    I've been testing some new sandbox malware analysis (BDS) stuff (note this is completely different to things like sandboxie - no relation at all). At the same time I seem to have been targeted for some apt malware which is handy.

    Results are MS AV is a joke, McAfee SAAS (SMB product) is looser than a 70 year old hooker, Cylance is the biz. I hear good things about WebRoot as well.

    There is a 'next-gen' of AV products out (WebRoot, Cylance, Carbon Black) which seem to be doing well against the new malware. Anything else and you're generally fuxxored.

  9. Post
    #59
    i hate avast, its been the cause of so may problems lately. just stick with MSE, the built in thing for win 10. THe number of laptops I've had to clean with malwarebytes after avast/AVG/nortons/mcafee/trend/panda says nothing wrong here, but the browsers loaded with hijacks.

    I'm not saying MSE is best, I'm saying they are all crap, MSE has the least impact on system performance, and its good to have something as software like office detect AV and behave quite oddly when theres none. and its clear many people would be doing clean installs / restoring from backup if it wasn't for malwarebytes.

    ESET is pretty good. I never get machines with kaspersky which is probably an indication of its market share as much as that its doing its job.

    THat said anything that calls itself an antivirus nowadays is looking a bit stupid.

  10. Post
    #60
    MSE is a waste of effort. It offers little to no protection.

  11. Post
    #61
    Vulcan wrote:
    MSE is a waste of effort. It offers little to no protection.
    What effort is involved with MSE?

    It's just there by default, and auto-updates and scans by itself.

  12. Post
    #62
    ....and finds nothing. A waste of CPU cycles. Not to mention the false sense of security some people get from it.

    I've had malware samples sitting on my PC, MSE hasn't spotted them til 3-4 weeks after the sandbox detection/cylance sees them - and 2-3 weeks after kaspersky/mcafee.

  13. Post
    #63
    Vulcan wrote:
    I've been testing some new sandbox malware analysis (BDS) stuff (note this is completely different to things like sandboxie - no relation at all). At the same time I seem to have been targeted for some apt malware which is handy.

    Results are MS AV is a joke, McAfee SAAS (SMB product) is looser than a 70 year old hooker, Cylance is the biz. I hear good things about WebRoot as well.

    There is a 'next-gen' of AV products out (WebRoot, Cylance, Carbon Black) which seem to be doing well against the new malware. Anything else and you're generally fuxxored.
    It would be interesting to see a non biased test done with the free players. I tend to go Avast Free or AVG Free with monthly runs of Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Avast can get irritating with it's million pop-ups and yearly licence renewal but still prefer it over AVG.

    I have noticed Windows 10 has an "Antivirus" built in and no longer encourages you to install one which is a worry.

  14. Post
    #64
    Vulcan wrote:
    ....and finds nothing. A waste of CPU cycles. Not to mention the false sense of security some people get from it.

    I've had malware samples sitting on my PC, MSE hasn't spotted them til 3-4 weeks after the sandbox detection/cylance sees them - and 2-3 weeks after kaspersky/mcafee.
    What's your opinion on Comodo Antivirus?
    Also agree on MSE! Terrible software.

  15. Post
    #65
    I can tell you now they are all useless and in a similar effectiveness category to MSE.

    Let me put it this way, we see ~40000 new malware signatures per day (derived from 100k-200k samples per day). 30 days lag in detection = ~1 million malware items you're not protected against.

  16. Post
    #66
    So McAfee Enterprise or Kaspersky . . .
    Will any free solutions be suitable? - I kind of know the answer anyway.

  17. Post
    #67
    Question you have to ask yourself is how much do you really care about any level of protection...

    I still run MSE, have since ages ago.

    Is my PC infected with anything? Realistically, probably not. If it is, and someone is perving at all my data and stealing my identity and I don't know it? Meh.

  18. Post
    #68
    I figure if someone has hijacked my PC and/or stolen my identity I'd know about it. Either my PC would be non-responsive or doing weird things, and my money would be gone from my bank accounts, and someone else would be posing as me on facebook.

    I'm sure there are a bazillion data loggers that come from website cookies, that are harvesting all my websurfing habits, and targeting me for advertising and what not. But that's just life in the 21st century right?

  19. Post
    #69
    Haisley wrote:
    I figure if someone has hijacked my PC and/or stolen my identity I'd know about it. Either my PC would be non-responsive or doing weird things, and my money would be gone from my bank accounts, and someone else would be posing as me on facebook.
    So tempted to freak you out now, but you have an appointment in your calendar in 30 minutes and you don't want to be late.
    Last edited by XenoM; 19th April 2016 at 12:28 pm. Reason: fixing close quote

  20. Post
    #70
    Panda Free is my go to. Solid security, performance is good, sits quietly in my taskbar. Only thing I notice is installing programs is slowed down which I've confirmed as Panda Free's doing. Not that I install shit too often so it isn't a problem.

  21. Post
    #71
    XenoM wrote:
    So tempted to freak you out now, but you have an appointment in your calendar in 30 minutes and you don't want to be late.
    Cheers mate. Would've missed it otherwise.

  22. Post
    #72
    Haisley wrote:
    Cheers mate. Would've missed it otherwise.
    Haha, I guessed correctly? Was hoping for a better reaction though. Disappoint!

  23. Post
    #73
    XenoM wrote:
    Haha, I guessed correctly? Was hoping for a better reaction though. Disappoint!
    Office worker mate. Have appointments every half hour/hour

  24. Post
    #74
    Avast is filled with AIDS, swapped to Avira and never looked back.

  25. Post
    #75
    MXRecord wrote:
    So McAfee Enterprise or Kaspersky . . .
    Will any free solutions be suitable? - I kind of know the answer anyway.
    I am not impressed with McAfee at the moment. My choices would be Cylance, Carbon Black Bit9, or WebRoot.