Best Free Security Programs For New PC?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Question

Best Free Security Programs For New PC?

Just received my Dell XPS 13 today & looking for some advice on the best free security programs to install in 2015. I do quite a lot of downloading so wanting the best free protection solution. Is it still advised to have a firewall, antivirus & other protection measures installed? I've uninstalled McAfee which was bundled on the laptop & have installed Avast for now - if there's a better free antivirus option please let me know. Thanks

2. Post
    Avast or AVG is the best

3. Post
    I'd go to a paid virus scanner asap! but Avast is the better of the free ones

4. Post
    You can pick up a 9 month promo-code for the paid versions of Bitdefender for like a dollar on G2A. Malwarebytes licenses also come very cheap on there. Probably much better than going for a free AV. Just make sure you turn off Bitdefenders firewall - it's awful beyond belief.

5. Post
    The most recent AV-Comparitives show Panda Free Antivirus to rate very highly. Avast is also good. You'll be fine with either of those.

6. Post
    Of the free options Avast seems to offer the best compromise between threat detection and not being invasive or setting off a whole bunch of false positives.

7. Post
    Thanks I'll stick with Avast then! Would you recommend I download any other security measures such as a firewall &/or any other programs that work well with Avast? Maybe CCleaner or Malwarebytes or something like that? What would be the best stack of security programs & is it really necessary?

8. Post
    bless wrote:
    is any of it really necessary?
    Nope.

9. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Nope.
    This

10. Post
    Avira is by far the best free AV. Use Kaspersky or ESET if you are looking to pay for a full security suite.

Unless you are downloading from random shareware sites, you shouldn't even need antivirus. The zerodays and APTs will bypass all of it if someone really wants to get in.

11. Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials

12. Post
    gathixpower wrote:
    Unless you are downloading from random shareware sites, you shouldn't even need antivirus.
    You what?

13. Post
    Pretty much this for free route:

Avast/360/panda/avg + malwarebytes + ublock origin (ad blocker) + Common sense

14. Post
    Install EMET alongside what ever anti-virus/anti-malware + host-based firewall solution you go for:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2458544

15. Post
    Latest version of Avast free has nagging popups on startup which can't be disabled. Kind of ironic.
    Last edited by Richard7666; 31st July 2015 at 2:07 am.

16. Post
    ChizzBo wrote:

Much better: http://www.pandasecurity.com/newzeal...ree-antivirus/

Panda + Comodo firewall + AdBlock Plus. Malwarebytes for post infection. Cleaned many a derp friend's computer with MalwareBytes.

17. Post
    ChizzBo wrote:
    Only if he was using Windows 7, but since he just got a new one today its probably Win 8.1 or 10, which there is no MSE for - it's Bit Defender.

18. Post
    bless wrote:
    What would be the best stack of security programs & is it really necessary?
    It is actually necessary to have another layer on top of your AV, What if you get hit with something like a zero day crypto virus ?

configure windows built in Applocker if you have it or install a anti executable program and run your browser and email in sandboxie. Or another good alternative is Blueridge Appguard its very easy to configure for the average home user and it kicks ass. then you will be fully protected

19. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    It is actually necessary to have another layer on top of your AV, What if you get hit with something like a zero day crypto virus ?

configure windows built in Applocker if you have it or install a anti executable program and run your browser and email in sandboxie. Or another good alternative is Blueridge Appguard its very easy to configure for the average home user and it kicks ass. then you will be fully protected
    That Sandbox myth:

http://www.securityweek.com/applicat...tacks-research

20. Post
    Jarsky wrote:
    Only if he was using Windows 7, but since he just got a new one today its probably Win 8.1 or 10, which there is no MSE for - it's Bit Defender.
    You cannot recommend it for any Windows OS. Even Microsoft don't even recommend it so why do people still insist on carrying the horribleness?

21. Post
    And what does Microsoft recommend?

22. Post
    They recommend an anti-virus. They'd never recommend an outside product by name.

23. Post
    Windows Defender + run Malwarebytes occasionally.

24. Post
    People really use anti virus? Just know what you're downloading.... not hard...

25. Post
    Logikk wrote:
    People really use anti virus? Just know what you're downloading.... not hard...
    Vulcan wrote:
    You what?
    ^

Dat ironic avatar name yo.