Divinity: Original Sin 2 announced, Kickstarter incoming

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    yes

2. Post
    mintyOnion wrote:
    Is the story independent from the first game?
    Very much so. Original Sin takes place before all of the other Divinity RPGs - 1200 years before Divine Divinity, and Beyond Divinity, and Original Sin 2. Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga is 60 years after Beyond Divinity and as the title states is the direct sequel to Divine Divinity.

AR: Anno Rivellonis. The ancient way of identifying specific years.
    AD: Anno Deorum. How years are counted now, in honour of the Seven Gods.

4 AR - Divinity: Original Sin
    1218 AD - Divine Divinity
    12xx AD - Divinity: Original Sin 2 takes place over 1200 years after Original Sin. It's set after Damian's banishment to Nemesis, but just before Beyond Divinity
    1238 AD - Beyond Divinity
    1300 AD - Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga

3. Post
    Holy shit, that's a fine timeline tutorial there Chris, cheers.

Looks like this one is fine to jump in without having played previous games, as far as story is concerned.

Anyone got a spare key they're willing to let go dirt cheap?

4. Post
    Divine Divinity is still my fave of the series, love how it takes place in that century

Early reviews are EXTREMELY good: just got a cheeky 98 at Game Informer which triumphantly stated, and I quote: "Divinity: Original Sin II is one of the greatest PC RPGs of all time, and Larian’s continued dedication to creating incredible freeform adventures inspired by tabletop lineage is inspiring and commendable".

Holy shit, GOTY sounding stuff here: awesome as.

5. Post
    IST wrote:
    Divine Divinity
    This is on JRPG levels of bad game titles. The publisher forced that name upon Larian, seriously WTF were they smoking?

6. Post
    I cannot wait to share my thoughts on this. Next week will see my review go up. I have some Dishonoring to get finished first though.

In short, I think the traditional RPG crown may have been passed to a new king... maybe. Still a lot of adventuring and questing to complete before we get that far.

7. Post
    As an aside, Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga is a bit of a underrated gem imo. Worth a play.

There's also Dragon Commander or whatever it is called, but that's not an RPG so never played it. It's in the same universe though and I think takes place even before Original Sin.

8. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    This is on JRPG levels of bad game titles. The publisher forced that name upon Larian, seriously WTF were they smoking?
    Haha..yeah man, I remember thinking that just before I played it: was thinking "is this like some um....religion based RPG I'm getting into?" lol.

Btw: MASSIVE THANKS TO YOU GOOD SIR EVA for my DOS2 Steam Key a while back, going to leapfrog the backlog and start this today, thank you mayne

ChrisB wrote:
    I cannot wait to share my thoughts on this. Next week will see my review go up. I have some Dishonoring to get finished first though.

In short, I think the traditional RPG crown may have been passed to a new king... maybe. Still a lot of adventuring and questing to complete before we get that far.
    Nice work Chris: was hoping you'd be on this review being the Larian expert round these ways

Bobs wrote:
    As an aside, Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga is a bit of a underrated gem imo. Worth a play.

There's also Dragon Commander or whatever it is called, but that's not an RPG so never played it. It's in the same universe though and I think takes place even before Original Sin.
    Oh man, you're very right there on the DKS front - one of the most underrated RPG gems out there. That chicken quest still makes me laugh hard to this day when I reflect on it. Awesome how you build your own castle too, such a cool home base (and you're an actual ****ing Dragon FFS lol).

Edit: Oh man, I've missed Larian humour, this voice work and presentation is amazing!
    Last edited by IST; 20th September 2017 at 4:19 pm.

9. Post
    There's also the intro for the expansion of Dragon Knight which is a straight gag on Terminator, was hilarious.

10. Post
    I've installed dos1 to try it out. But part of me just wants to go straight to dos2. It just sounds great from everything I've seen and read so far.

Is this likely to get patched heavily like pillars of eternity did? And change game mechanics? Or is it pretty stable as is?

11. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    I've installed dos1 to try it out. But part of me just wants to go straight to dos2. It just sounds great from everything I've seen and read so far.

Is this likely to get patched heavily like pillars of eternity did? And change game mechanics? Or is it pretty stable as is?
    Unknown at this point. DoS1 is still a bloody good game and well worth playing. I don't think order of play is a big deal though.

12. Post
    Haisley wrote:

The small amount I've played of DOS2, I'd say skip the first and jump in - it's (for a solo player) a much better game and totally independent story wise (apart from Rivellon lore, hit a vid up including Divine and DKS lore).

13. Post
    IST wrote:
    The small amount I've played of DOS2, I'd say skip the first and jump in - it's (for a solo player) a much better game and totally independent story wise (apart from Rivellon lore, hit a vid up including Divine and DKS lore).
    Chur, good to know bro.

14. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Chur, good to know bro.
    Play DOS1 first. Its a spectacular game, but will be harder to go back to after playing DOS2. If DOS2 appeals, then DOS1 will as well. Don't do a disservice to yourself by missing one of the best RPGs made in the last 10 years. Also the single player co-op mechanic in DOS1 is something that should be experienced.

15. Post
    Aye, I backed DOS2 solely on how much I enjoyed the first. I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

16. Post
    IST wrote:
    The small amount I've played of DOS2, I'd say skip the first and jump in
    Bro! Cereal? Telling people to skip an amazing game with hours of spectacular content seems more than a little dismissive of how fantastic that game is. Its only 3 years old and its Enhanced Edition is one of the very best traditional RPG games on the market. Would you tell someone to skip KoTOR, and just jump into KoTOR II?

17. Post
    Chris what do you mean by traditional RPG?

Pen and Paper roots? Turn based? Western? Party of NPC's?

All of the above? Something else?

18. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Bro! Cereal? Telling people to skip an amazing game with hours of spectacular content seems more than a little dismissive of how fantastic that game is. Its only 3 years old and its Enhanced Edition is one of the very best traditional RPG games on the market. Would you tell someone to skip KoTOR, and just jump into KoTOR II?

It's more my exuberance for the new game that makes me think it's worth doing both but in reverse order: it's such a step up from DOS (DOS2 that is), but I still think you could go back with ease especially if you're a coop type.

This brings up my main factor though, the first game felt nearly coop developed as a primary (maybe it was? didn't follow Swen that close on it tbh), but this one...holy smokes bruh, it's an amazing single player or coop (I'm guessing) experience.

The story/exposition/narration(holyshitgood)/mechanics are so far ahead of DOS for me, it's crazy.

DOS was and is very good, DOS2 is next level amazing for me though....this is the feels I had when I played BG for the first time (which oddly, I prefer to BG2 like no-one else in the world lol). If it was a lore/character dependent sequel, I'd say always play the first beforehand...but if anything, play Divine Divinity before this and read up on some main Rivellon lore and you'd be 100% sorted to roll into DOS2 (and do up DOS later).

...or just play DOS first, it's great and you can't really loose in any of these scenarios

19. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Chris what do you mean by traditional RPG?

Pen and Paper roots? Turn based? Western? Party of NPC's?

All of the above? Something else?
    All of the above!

20. Post
    IST wrote:
    It's more my exuberance for the new game that makes me think it's worth doing both but in reverse order: it's such a step up from DOS (DOS2 that is), but I still think you could go back with ease especially if you're a coop type.

This brings up my main factor though, the first game felt nearly coop developed as a primary (maybe it was? didn't follow Swen that close on it tbh), but this one...holy smokes bruh, it's an amazing single player or coop (I'm guessing) experience.

The story/exposition/narration(holyshitgood)/mechanics are so far ahead of DOS for me, it's crazy.

DOS was and is very good, DOS2 is next level amazinghowever....this is the feels I had when I played BG for the first time (which oddly, I prefer to BG2 like no-one else in the world lol).
    Personally I think the new and shiny would be appreciated even more seeing how its evolved from the first game. And like anything going back to a the previous game will be harder because of all of the changes made.

DOS was developed at a SP game with Co-Op being a core part of the initial design as well. The solo co-op is one of it's best features imo. One of the best SP experiences I have ever had.

21. Post
    IST wrote:
    this is the feels I had when I played BG for the first time (which oddly, I prefer to BG2 like no-one else in the world lol).
    There are dozens of us out there.

22. Post
    mintyOnion wrote:
    There are dozens of us out there.
    That first time I met Minsc and Boo, so good.

Kind of feel the same way about the characters in DOS2 already: Red Prince is amazingly written..shit, the whole game is amazingly written from what I've played.

Larian are pretty god tier now, CDPR levels of confidence in them these days (lovely guys and girls to boot).

23. Post
    ok, so I rolled a wizard and rogue in DOS1 last night.

I feel like I could spend weeks in re-rolling different combos of characters to see what difference they make.

Character creation regrats...FML

24. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    ok, so I rolled a wizard and rogue in DOS1 last night.

I feel like I could spend weeks in re-rolling different combos of characters to see what difference they make.

Character creation regrats...FML
    Nice!!! Enjoy man, its a special game!

25. Post
    can you play this without playing the 1st one? the fact that the entire game apparently is voice acted has peaked my interest I like these games but I hate reading lots of text.