1. Post
    I'm hanging out for Oculus Quest, I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be the next ground breaker.

2. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I'm hanging out for Oculus Quest, I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be the next ground breaker.
    Yeah, I reckon Quest + Virtual Desktop/ALVR will tick a lot of boxes eh

3. Post
    Playing around with the Magic Leap at work, it’s an incredible experience.

Will be interesting when AR and VR converge.

4. Post
    Do you work in Wellington?

5. Post
    Na, in Auckland.

6. Post
    I'm looking for friends to VR game with - I own most common titles and will be keen to play just about anything.

PM me here for details.

P.S. Rift owner here - current games:

Echo VR
    Elite Dangerous
    War Thunder
    Project Cars / Assetto Corsa
    Rec Room
    Vox Machinae
    Pavlov
    Contractors
    Onward
    The Forest
    Hover Junkers
    Sam & Dan

7. Post
    My Odyssey+ turned up with one faulty controller last month and I had to send the entire thing back to the US for replacement. New one is on its way back now and I'll have it it a few days. I only have Project Cars & Assetto Corsa currently, but will be looking to grab some of those shooters.

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    My Odyssey+ turned up with one faulty controller last month and I had to send the entire thing back to the US for replacement. New one is on its way back now and I'll have it it a few days. I only have Project Cars & Assetto Corsa currently, but will be looking to grab some of those shooters.
    Mean Hell - once it's back lets have a jam?

9. Post
    I think I'm gonna upgrade to a Quest when it comes out. Pretty happy with the go, but keen for 6DOF

10. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    Mean Hell - once it's back lets have a jam?
    Cool. Farkin DHL are messing me around for customs today. The documentation should have already told them the tax/duty was paid, like it did on the return documentation for the faulty unit when I sent it back.

So it in going to be a few more days before I get it, despite it sitting in the local depo.

KevinL wrote:
    I think I'm gonna upgrade to a Quest when it comes out. Pretty happy with the go, but keen for 6DOF
    Yeah, I've had the Go for several months and love it for watching video in bed, but I'm also keen to grab the Quest.

11. Post
    Does anyone have a good storage/transport solution for an HTC Vive Pro? Including sensors maybe, but probably just the headset and the controllers plus all the associated cables.
    I was thinking a Pelican box would be a good idea - but what have any of you purchased?

12. Post
    Picked up a Dell visor my kids (WMR), they're loving it. The insideout tracking is awesome!

13. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Picked up a Dell visor my kids (WMR), they're loving it. The insideout tracking is awesome!
    After using a Vive Pro for the last month I really think inside-out is the way to go.
    External sensors are so annoying, and I have no troubles with the inside-out losing the controllers.

I fail to see the value in what I paid for the Lenovo Explorer vs the Vive Pro.

14. Post
    The Vive Pro is pretty poor value all around, especially considering you can get the new Samsung Odyssey+ comparatively cheaply when it is on sale in the US. It is the best of the WMR headsets and uses the same OLED screens as the Vive Pro, with the addition of the anti-screen door tech - meaning that it has the best picture quality of any of the existing headsets on the market.

15. Post
    My impression was that the Oculus Go has the best image quality (in terms of sharpness and SDE) of the main commercially available headsets - the Odyssey plus would obviously pip it in terms of blacks and colour rendering.

Keen to see what the Quest looks like, wonder when it'll be out.

16. Post
    20th of March is Spring in the USA....

17. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    My impression was that the Oculus Go has the best image quality (in terms of sharpness and SDE) of the main commercially available headsets - the Odyssey plus would obviously pip it in terms of blacks and colour rendering.

Keen to see what the Quest looks like, wonder when it'll be out.
    Nope, the O+ is significantly better, but the Go is better than the rest. I didn't really notice the SDE on my Go till I used the O+ and the went back to it. The anti-SDE tech on the O+ works really well.

There was an AMA just done for the Quest https://uploadvr.com/quest-significantly-faster-go/

18. Post
    Just saw that VIVE announced it's Cosmos headset

This could be the one that makes me finally buy a PC VR headset

Upgrades over the PRO:

* Inside out tracking (no base stations) with 6 degrees of freedom (you can run, jump, roll, crouch or whatever you want inside your room and the headsets tracks it)
    * New controller design
    * More comfortable design and flip upfunction without having to take headset off
    * 2120x2120 resolution per eye, upgraded from 1440x1600 per eye on PRO)
    * (Rumoured) Mobile phone support for VR on the go - this headset is mainly a PC premium products, BUT rumours say you can also use it over 5g wireless with your phone (you will need a 5g capable phone)

https://www.vive.com/nz/cosmos/

19. Post
    Really interested in the Oculus Quest. Own a Vive but restricted to the space I can use it so only comes out every so often. My biggest question is battery life. They seem rather tight lipped about that side of things. I'm hoping it's at least 4 hours between charges.
    Also hoping (but not holding my breath) that Valve has some kind of announcement at GDC even if it's for the knuckles. Not too fussed about next gen yet as GPU prices are stupid for what you get. RTX as far as I know hasn't brought anything to the table for VR.

20. Post
    The FOV is pretty disappointing on it from the hands on I saw of it by a VR YouTuber (won't matter for most people though). The screen is comparable to the Original Odessey and the Vive Pro, so that is nice at least. You'd hope as a device more suited to gaming than the Go that they would give it a much higher battery capacity.

21. Post
    Oculus S is a bit disappointing, there's a higher resolution in the Oculus Quest, and it has 80hz refresh rate with an LCD.

I'm pretty interested in the Quest though, might end up getting one, especially since the apps will be quality controlled aswell unlike the Go

22. Post
    Dropped my Vive headset and now its dead. WIll wait for a rift S I think. Not having to muck around with lighthouses sounds ace.

I am also thinking of maybe just getting the Quest and seeing what ALVR might be able to do with it. That would be awesome if I could have wireless PCVR.

Or maybe just get both. anyway. RIP Vive. You were a trooper.

23. Post
    Bugger. The Rift S would be a backwards step IMO, I'd import an Odyssey+ or wait to see what the HTC Vive Cosmos and Valve headsets are going to be like.

Seems a bizarre downgrade from the Rift to the Rift S, especially given the price point is higher. The only reasons I can think of, is they are trying to sell it to people who don't already have a headset and are going to bundle it with something like Beat Saber - plus they want room to move on the price come the holiday sales at the end of the year.

And also, downgrading the specs makes it easy to run and therefore more accessible, especially given the choice to go with inside out tracking - which they have at least improved over the first gen WMR headsets.

24. Post
    Name:  valve-index-listing-02-800x509.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  28.7 KB

Things just got interesting.

25. Post
    I will be interested to see if they cut the Oculus's lunch with the shitty Rift S or whether it will be priced well out of the range of that.