1. Post
    If the index is good, might have to get one. Some nice looking VR games out there.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index/

2. Post
    anyone played this mod?.. looks fun.

3. Post
    Man I am definitely just going to get a Quest now, and then wait for Index for my PC setup. Looks like you can just buy the headset without controllers or lighthouses now which I still have from my pakaru Vive.

Have they got any ideas around when we can pre-order a Quest? I refresh the Oculus site everyday at the moment.

4. Post

5. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    I will be interested to see if they cut the Oculus's lunch with the shitty Rift S or whether it will be priced well out of the range of that.
    I have seen a couple of hands on reviews of the S and to be honest based on these I will be waiting until it arrives rather than upgrading my DK2 to a CV1.

Which part of the S concerns you the most? Going to LCD from OLED?

I am interested to figure out if your concerns would be an issue for me.

6. Post
    No IPD is a big loser for me.

7. Post
    For those with an Oculus Go, the 1.3.1 update for VR Desktop has some amazing supersampling secret sauce which really improves text legibility, it's such a good little app.

8. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    I have seen a couple of hands on reviews of the S and to be honest based on these I will be waiting until it arrives rather than upgrading my DK2 to a CV1.

Which part of the S concerns you the most? Going to LCD from OLED?

I am interested to figure out if your concerns would be an issue for me.
    Everything about it except the inside out tracking is a backwards step, it seems to be aimed at pulling new users in, it isn't really an upgrade path for existing users - The refresh rate is also lower on the S.

Also, the Odyssey+ is on special again for $299 USD, which is a massive bargain even with about $190 NZD worth of tax and shipping on top, and currently still has the best screen, which is way better than the Rift/Vive.

KevinL wrote:
    For those with an Oculus Go, the 1.3.1 update for VR Desktop has some amazing supersampling secret sauce which really improves text legibility, it's such a good little app.
    Cool, I will give that a whirl later.

9. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Agree with this!!

10. Post
    I don't know what's going on but this exists on a seller with 100+ good feedback and doesn't have any dodgy wording (like "Box only").

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Expl...oAAOSw8RJa85uU

I think I'm going to take a stab. Has eBay Buyer Protection.

I think worst case scenario is a bit of hassle disputing, or they cancel citing the price was off by a decimal.

Best case scenario is an HP Fire Sale.

11. Post
    Yep, pricing error. They've now seen it and moved the decimal point up to $200USD.

Which is still a pretty reasonable price but I don't really want an expense like that at the moment.

I had an order at $20 but I expect it will be cancelled.

12. Post
    Great googley moogley I just got a message (hour and a half after sale) saying thanks for the purchase and that it will be shipped soon.

Whilst it's a canned response someone would have still had to have gone in and copy-pasted it in. I might be getting a WMR headset for $20USD shipped...

13. Post
    Good luck, want to sell it for $200 NZD when it arrives?

14. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Good luck, want to sell it for $200 NZD when it arrives?
    ...I just got a tracking number!

Probably not, sorry. My buy in budget for VR was $300 total new, or less than that not new. The $200USD shipped price for this one would have actually been the sweet spot for me to buy in anyway. But $20USD!

15. Post
    I got my Lenovo explorer for $192NZ landed (no controllers though). Sounds like the right price to me. (Edit: oops didn't see "$20", read "$200")
    Last edited by MoNk; 15th April 2019 at 1:31 pm.

16. Post
    Jb Hifi AU had them at $90 recently as well - I mean $20 is probably a price error but they're definitely clearing them out

17. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Jb Hifi AU had them at $90 recently as well - I mean $20 is probably a price error but they're definitely clearing them out
    Jesus, I would have bought them all. That's an amazing price. The new Oculus Rift is just WMR+extra tracking sensors.

18. Post
    A decent WMR headset like the Odyssey+ is actually better than the Rift S, in all but the extra sensors. Those Explorers are a steal at that price though, pretty good entry price for someone who just wants to do some VR sim racing for example.

19. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Jesus, I would have bought them all. That's an amazing price. The new Oculus Rift is just WMR+extra tracking sensors.
    Bugger, I am over there next week, but they are at $299, a good price, but not in the current budget!

As for the comment below about Oculus being WMR with extra tracking, well is that a bad thing?

20. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Bugger, I am over there next week, but they are at $299, a good price, but not in the current budget!

As for the comment below about Oculus being WMR with extra tracking, well is that a bad thing?
    It's not a bad thing, but a disappointment. I was expecting a 2019 Oculus Rift. Not version 1.1 of Lenovo Explorer from 2017 (especially as the new one is made by Lenovo, so really just seems like they're recycling parts from the Explorer to keep the BOM down whilst still charging a price higher than the $300USD they said it would release for back in 2013? 2014?).

WMR + new hat.

Name:  hat.PNG
Views: 139
Size:  151.3 KB

21. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Everything about it except the inside out tracking is a backwards step, it seems to be aimed at pulling new users in, it isn't really an upgrade path for existing users - The refresh rate is also lower on the S.

Also, the Odyssey+ is on special again for $299 USD, which is a massive bargain even with about $190 NZD worth of tax and shipping on top, and currently still has the best screen, which is way better than the Rift/Vive.

Cool, I will give that a whirl later.
    Damn man you got a link? I might be pulling out the credit card for this.

22. Post
    Quite frankly, I don't care if the tech is from 2 years ago, my concern is that it is functionally better than the old version.

I know it will be as I will be coming from DK2, however those coming from a CV1 may be disappointed as they would have wanted something new and exciting, especially with the change of ownership etc, and having to wait so long.

The price is the clencher here, they seem to be pricing so they can discount for the black Friday sales, in plenty of reviews they talk about creating to a price point by reducing some features, i.e. single screen vs 2 screens, with that should be a price reduction not an increase.

I am really undecided if I get a CV1 once the S is released or the S. My first and foremost thought is that the picture quality is a massive improvement from the DK2, which it surely will be in both cases.

I have to say the only reason I am not more seriously looking at a WMR solution is that the controller tracking only via 2 cameras in front looks like it would be annoying and problematic at best, unusable at worst.

I currently play Project Cars 2, but would like to also find a FPS like FallOut4 VR once I have a headset with controllers.

23. Post
    The WMR tracking issues are overstated, I rarely have any issues with the O+ in game - it helps that the Bluetooth dongle is built into the headset in this model - a lot of the problems people have with the other WMR headsets is down to the Bluetooth dongle they used with it in their PC not being up to snuff.
    Lennysaurus wrote:
    Damn man you got a link? I might be pulling out the credit card for this.
    Yep, here is where I got mine from last year.

24. Post
    Cheers HELLKNIGHT.

Just read that you can use vive controllers with WMR headsets with a workaround which means I'm pretty much set.

Just gonna use my old vive lighthouses and controllers with my new Odyssey+.

Gonna be sweet.

25. Post
    Lennysaurus wrote:
    Cheers HELLKNIGHT.

Just read that you can use vive controllers with WMR headsets with a workaround which means I'm pretty much set.

Just gonna use my old vive lighthouses and controllers with my new Odyssey+.

Gonna be sweet.
    I heard there is a work around, but it isn't perfect.

I'd recommend buying the VR cover for it, especially if you play any fitness type games, as it can be wiped down to clean (unlike the face pad it comes with, which just absorbs sweat).

The VR Cover is also much more plush and prevents any light leakage. The trade off is you are more likely to fog up the screen with it, and the pleather doesn't feel as nice against your skin as the soft factory cover IMO - though its benefits outweigh the cons I have found.

Also, this aftermarket head strap that is handmade made here in NZ. It makes it so you can wear it like a baseball hat and is so much more comfortable - you hardly even need to use the tension adjuster on the back with it, as the weight of the headset is being distributed across your head.

Without it, the halo design puts a lot of force on your forehead, which makes it unusable for a lot of people and even though I didn't find that, it would leave big red marks on my forehead - which I now don't get (just the light redness you get from having something press up against your skin).