1. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Are you trying to say people in their mid 30's are too old to play games?
    haha not at all! I was just thinking of this "gaming generation' but you are right mid 30's would def fit in that bracket!

2. Post
    dude2099 wrote:
    Is that how the 360 youtube vids are made?
    Yeah, the one pictured is a pretty basic setup (non-stereoscopic 1.5K resolution output). There are 3D stereoscopic rigs which house 12-14 GoPros and also GoPro's Google Jump VR 16-camera setup too.

3. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    Surely you mean long-sighted? I'm short sighted (can't see far away clearly) and I would think having a head set right in front of my eyes would make things easier to see. The depth perception in a 3d game is an illusion afterall. It's literally right in front of you.
    That's what I initially thought as well, but it doesn't work that way regretfully. In short, optical distance and actual distance are different things. Here's an article about it: http://hollybrockwell.com/2015/03/13...rtual-reality/

I found this out the hard way when I tried a DK1 with my glasses off a couple years ago at a convention.

Actually, an even simpler solution may simply be contact lenses. However, extended play with a HMD using contact lenses (especially if you don't usually use them) may end up rather uncomfortable, methinks.

4. Post
    The consumer Rift is meant to accommodate for glasses quite well now, which couldn't be said for earlier versions.

I have a DK1 and it made me feel ill quite a lot. The resolution and grid of it is garbage for actual gaming, for demonstration purposes it was cool and I liked it but I wouldn't bother using it again. I tried the DK2 for a short time and had no problem in terms of motion sickness, and it looked pretty good. Looking forward to the final iteration.

Youtube 360 videos are what I look forward to the most. It's the most accessible way the average person can create a virtual experience. I can imagine being able to watch a live show or something and being able to sit in the audience where they've set up a camera in a seat, and maybe a novelty camera angle on stage somewhere. What about watching a live music concert and being able to sit next to the band on stage?

The way this could change media is incredible and to be on the brink of that digital revolution is a cool experience.

5. Post
    I know that you can wear glasses in a Rift/Vive, but is it truly comfortable? I can't help but think it's another case of how you can wear 3D glasses from movies on top of regular glasses; it's simply uncomfortable. I've also heard how wearing glasses in a VR HMD reduces your FOV. Still, I'm not too worried about future solutions to the problem, since it's quite obvious to everyone in the industry that a huge number of gamers (and developers for that matter) wear glasses.

6. Post
    It is supposed to. It has been a design consideration from the beginning as older VR headsets allowed for individual eyepiece focus adjustment (negated the need for glasses to an extent).

7. Post
    I finally went ahead with it and pulled the trigger.

Have HTC Vive and Virtuix Omni on pre-order now, after reading generally favourable impressions of the two pieces of hardware. Probably would have preferred Oculus Rift if I don't wear glasses or if Oculus Touch are out. Ah well, I can always get CV2 if it's impressive enough.

I think the Vive controllers should have me sorted in the short term, but I think I may pick up a good VR gun for FPS later down the track.

RIP $3,000+. I never wanted a new car or computer anyway.

8. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    I know that you can wear glasses in a Rift/Vive, but is it truly comfortable? I can't help but think it's another case of how you can wear 3D glasses from movies on top of regular glasses; it's simply uncomfortable. I've also heard how wearing glasses in a VR HMD reduces your FOV. Still, I'm not too worried about future solutions to the problem, since it's quite obvious to everyone in the industry that a huge number of gamers (and developers for that matter) wear glasses.
    I wear glasses in my Vive just fine. it's very different to sticking some glasses over your own at the movies.

9. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    RIP $3,000+. I never wanted a new car or computer anyway.
    So, I'm new to VR, and I saw the Vive and I thought "oh, that will be nice" and then I saw "virtuix" and I thought "what's that for about 2k?" and then I googled and my mouth dropped and I wanted to marry you. Or at least deliver beer and chicken to distract you while I steal a go.

10. Post
    Looking forward to getting a Vive. Was a preorder but long story short won't be seeing it till June. 2 months late.
    My main concern is the poor service from the HTC's AUS/NZ support channels. To have such lackluster service in ordering it I just hope that they're more efficient when it comes to repairs etc.

11. Post
    Stuff like the Virtuix Omni will destroyer the obesity in gamers.

12. Post
    Konev wrote:
    Stuff like the Virtuix Omni will destroyer the obesity in gamers.
    It's more likely to create a new bread of neckbeards who end up doing some bastardized moonwalk IRL.

13. Post
    Getting my Vive in a couple days (by Fedex's schedule) and soooo hyped for it.

Holding off on any sort of treadmill for it, at least until they become commercially available and I have lots of money to spend.

14. Post
    paenne wrote:
    Getting my Vive in a couple days (by Fedex's schedule) and soooo hyped for it.

Holding off on any sort of treadmill for it, at least until they become commercially available and I have lots of money to spend.
    I am looking to order mine within a couple of weeks, can you let me know how much you ended up paying total and if the price covered nz customs tax (the price went up on the vive website recently and I heard it was to cover this)?

15. Post
    I want a Vive.

16. Post
    lol @ that idiot, Mike Hosking this morning.

he was suggesting VR is stupid and no one is using it and then he mentioned that he tested VR from google carboard...

17. Post
    I would imagine he thinks computers are witchcraft.

One of my favourite games is generating huge interest in the playerbase by supporting VR. It went from me a few others badgering the devs for months... then they quietly got a DK2, gave a couple of us the code - soon as other players found out it went nuts. They've just acquired a vive with the intent to support multiple headsets. Interest is nuts.

18. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I would imagine he thinks computers are witchcraft.

One of my favourite games is generating huge interest in the playerbase by supporting VR. It went from me a few others badgering the devs for months... then they quietly got a DK2, gave a couple of us the code - soon as other players found out it went nuts. They've just acquired a vive with the intent to support multiple headsets. Interest is nuts.
    May I ask which game this is?

19. Post
    which to get: rift or vive?

i preordered rift, delivery is supposed to be around end of july. I'm waiting for the new graphics cards to come out, so not in too much of a hurry.

i like the look of the oculus touch controllers better than the vive's

but have been seeing things lately that oculus is walling off it's platform (kind of like apples ecosystem). is that just fan boys stirring shit?
    will steam games be able to run on the rift?

(i haven't really read too much recently - the last couple of months - about what's currently happening with VR)

20. Post
    elemunk wrote:
    I am looking to order mine within a couple of weeks, can you let me know how much you ended up paying total and if the price covered nz customs tax (the price went up on the vive website recently and I heard it was to cover this)?
    TSB account was charged $1595 the other day. This includes GST.

Some of the earlier buyers were charged GST an extra time, this being a mistake on Fedex's part, however through a bit of a long and difficult process HTC is issuing refunds.

From what I know this shouldn't be a problem for people ordering now though, as the kinks in HTC's ordering process are being worked out.

I do expect to be charged another $100 for import taxes though.

Sehr Gut! wrote:
    which to get: rift or vive?

i preordered rift, delivery is supposed to be around end of july. I'm waiting for the new graphics cards to come out, so not in too much of a hurry.

i like the look of the oculus touch controllers better than the vive's

but have been seeing things lately that oculus is walling off it's platform (kind of like apples ecosystem). is that just fan boys stirring shit?
    will steam games be able to run on the rift?

(i haven't really read too much recently - the last couple of months - about what's currently happening with VR)
    If you're really in no hurry I'd wait for the Oculus controllers to come out. With a product this expensive it's generally a better idea to wait for public reviews before jumping the gun.

Another thing to consider is roomscale - Rift can do it but it's far worse than Vive's in both hardware and the software that support it.

If you can't wait until (nearly) the end of the year, most would agree that roomscale and motion controllers make the VR experience complete. That being said, I'm heavily biased towards Vive and know a lot more about it compared to Rift.

The Oculus walled garden controversy is mainly because of its DRM, especially when compared to Valve's OpenVr.

Oculus has specific Oculus exclusive (and Oculus funded) games, Valve has none and has promised that it'll stay that way.

A community member made ReVive, a patch that allows users to play a few (but the list is growing) Oculus exclusive games on a Vive. This was after Palmer Luckey, the founder of Oculus, said he was fine with people doing this. Despite this, a recent Oculus software patch added hardware DRM that broke ReVive. This annoyed a lot of people, especially as they had paid for the game from the Oculus store.

While the latest ReVive update makes it work again, that Oculus has taken active measures to force people to use their headset means that the future of ReVive used to play legitimate games is uncertain, seeing as you could just pirate them without fear of suddenly not being able to play games you paid money for.

People are basically saying Valve business practices = good, Oculus business practices = bad.

TLDR: Steam games will always run fine on Rift, so long as the developers design them to work with it. Some Oculus games may not run on Vive unless they're pirated, with the company putting effort into keeping it that way.

21. Post
    As a an Oculus fanboy the walled garden/drm stuff certainly gives me pause to consider the vive. It reeks of applism.

22. Post
    paenne wrote:
    TLDR: Steam games will always run fine on Rift, so long as the developers design them to work with it. Some Oculus games may not run on Vive unless they're pirated, with the company putting effort into keeping it that way.
    thanks

23. Post
    I'm also not liking the latest Oculus drivers, bloody things want me to press the A button on an x-box controller I don't have (you cannot even hit the space bar/enter key etc). I'm fairly sure Oculus are going to disenfranchise the VR fans that got them off the ground. Many saw the included x-box controller a distraction - oculus are making it a must have... going full derp imho.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I'm also not liking the latest Oculus drivers, bloody things want me to press the A button on an x-box controller I don't have (you cannot even hit the space bar/enter key etc). I'm fairly sure Oculus are going to disenfranchise the VR fans that got them off the ground. Many saw the included x-box controller a distraction - oculus are making it a must have... going full derp imho.
    I remember Palmer saying that the controllers cost Oculus nothing to bundle and if people don't want them they should just sell them.

Bit disappointing, a telling mark of a bad pc port for me is not changing the button prompts to m/kb. I'd hope it's just a temporary issue.

25. Post
    Update: arrived this morning, about 16 hours later than scheduled, which worked out for me anyways. I wasn't charged anything else from customs so $1600 is full price.

I've played maybe 15 minutes of Holopoint and it's been genuinely mind blowing how fun it is. I'm convinced that this is the future of gaming.