1. Post
    Go to bed Kevin!

My Link cable arrived today, didn't notice I'll need a USB-A Male to USB-C Female adapter , now I have to wait a couple of trademe days.

2. Post
    I've been patiently waiting for the index to be available in NZ, but that Rift S deal for $609 nzd is mighty tempting.

Jump over to camp oculus or hold out for the index? The screen door on my original vive has really gotten on my nerves.

Upon further research I may just park this, I have an IPD of 73mm and apparently the rift only has software adjustment for this? ehhhh
    Last edited by What.; 1st January 2020 at 4:10 am.

3. Post
    What. wrote:
    I've been patiently waiting for the index to be available in NZ, but that Rift S deal for $609 nzd is mighty tempting.

Jump over to camp oculus or hold out for the index? The screen door on my original vive has really gotten on my nerves.

Upon further research I may just park this, I have an IPD of 73mm and apparently the rift only has software adjustment for this? ehhhh
    For $100 more I think Quest is much better deal. People who have used Index also like Quest much more.

4. Post
    harshsmith wrote:
    For $100 more I think Quest is much better deal. People who have used Index also like Quest much more.
    That can't be right, the index is objectively better on every technical front. But as the owner of a beefy gaming rig, the quest holds no appeal to me anyways.

I'm sure being wireless and portable are major points for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them.

5. Post
    What. wrote:
    That can't be right, the index is objectively better on every technical front. But as the owner of a beefy gaming rig, the quest holds no appeal to me anyways.

I'm sure being wireless and portable are major points for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them.
    I have never used index myself so dont know much about it but people who have always praise quest mainly because of its wireless capability and OLED screen and plus now because of Oculus Link. Link can increase refresh rate to around 95 I think and also Quest's native display has higher resolution capability which I believe will be updated through software updates as the Oculus get their required certification.

But yeah just my opinion. I was gonna get Rift S initially but once they announced Link for Quest back in October, it was no brainer for me to go with Quest.

6. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Go to bed Kevin!

My Link cable arrived today, didn't notice I'll need a USB-A Male to USB-C Female adapter , now I have to wait a couple of trademe days.
    Tell me if it works with il2 Sturmovik: battle of stalingrad, got the game on the steam sale.

7. Post
    What. wrote:
    But as the owner of a beefy gaming rig, the quest holds no appeal to me anyways.
    You know you can use Oculus link (and Virtual Desktop's wireless SteamVR implementation, which is better IMO) for desktop-based VR, right?

I mean if you plan to always use it tethered then I agree there's no significant benefit, but wireless VR man...
    Last edited by KevinL; 1st January 2020 at 11:53 am.

8. Post
    Wireless VR ftw.

9. Post
    What. wrote:
    You really need to experience untethered VR gaming to understand the difference. Oh and the ability to use your headset almost anywhere. I've had (from the mid 90's) at least 8 tethered VR headsets from the VFX-1 to the Oculus Rift CV1, and everything in between. The Quest IMHO is a game changer.

10. Post
    I get that but the bottleneck to my enjoyment isnt the tether, its the visual fidelity, screendoor in particular.

this is why I'm now put off the Rift S completely after learning about its IPD limitations (I set my vive to 73mm), and wire or no wire I strongly suspect I'll be sensitive to the quest's 72Hz refresh rate

11. Post
    Someone selling their CV1 for $600 start and $800 buynow on trademe. Jesus

12. Post
    Got untethered GORN going today. EPIC. PC in office, I can walk out to my lounge and play. So good.

13. Post
    Quest Link cable is up and running, runs the Quest fine with some of my PC games I like (sims).

14. Post
    I was excited when reading about NVIDIA’s Variable Rate Supersampling, that they just announced as CES, to find that they've only enabled it in the driver for RTX cards...

Thought about flicking my Strix 1080Ti, till I saw the current price of its 2080 equivalent.

Wish they'd hurry up and release their 3000 series cards.

15. Post
    Probably a question asked before, does anyone know where to buy replacement foam for the rift CV1?

16. Post
    Can get better third party ones here.

17. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Can get better third party ones here.
    ah sweets, i did see this, so they ship to NZ ok?

18. Post
    Yep, I bought some for my Oculus Go and Samsung Odyssey+, I also got their strap for the Go as well - great improvement as they are a lot more plush.

19. Post
    Is this relevant in 2020? I'm not sure whether to delve into VR.

20. Post
    With the biggest, highest quality AAA VR only game releasing next month... I'd say yes it is relevant

21. Post
    Is VR worth it, software wise, these days? I bought a computer with the aim of getting a headset a year or two ago, but there just haven't been enough (or any) AAA games to justify the expense.

IMHO, they need to integrate it in to non-VR games, particularly multiplayer. E.g if you could play the latest battlefield on a headset with mouse and keyboard and the only advantage was the increased FOV, it would probably be enough for people to start investing in them more. The resolution is probably too much of a disadvantage at the moment though (distant objects are still too blurry).

Currently, I'm probably going to leave in until the resolution is high a bit higher than current gen, so that I can basically just watch IMAX in bed without too much SDE. My wife is going to hate it.

edit: no, I didn't read the two posts above this one before writing this

22. Post
    this is damn good value. I added up all the tier 2+3 games based on their lowest historical price and they're still about $70 in total, so for $23 this is a steal, even Super Hot VR alone is $18 when it's on sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/vr-bundle

23. Post
    Hey VR dream team. Does anyone have an oculus set that they would like to sell? The Rift S is unavailable to ship to NZ at the moment....

24. Post
    You can get them via Amazon.

25. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    You can get them via Amazon.
    A good idea.