Page 1 of 26 123411 ... Last

1. Globe

The VR Dream

As various fledgling VR gadgets gradually come together, it seems something extraordinary is potentially surfacing. I want to prepare the ultimate VR setup, so here is the list of gadgets I'm keeping tabs on at the moment, in order of my perceived superiority.

HMD :
    1. HTC Vive/SteamVR
    2. Oculus Rift CV

Controllers :
    1. Oculus Touch
    2. SteamVR Controllers
    3. Wiimotes
    4. Delta Six Controller (situational, and if they sort out overlapping input)

Treadmill :
    1. Cyberith Virtualizer
    2. Omni Virtuix
    3. Infinadeck

I know some people are on the fence about VR treadmills, but personally nothing is going to stop me from enjoying walking simulators like DayZ/Skyrim with real walking. Any other VR tech I should take note of out there?

I also realise that nearly ALL the items on the list are still in their pre-order stages. This is slightly concerning in and of itself, and the VR Dream may very well be nothing more than a mere dream waiting its harsh and inevitable awakening.

2. Post
    I'm waiting for game support before dabling it's a lot of money to waste if there's no content

3. Post
    I'm buying an Oculus or Vive as a son as pre-orders Come up purely for my racing sim. It's going to be insane.

4. Post
    Yeah I'll be getting in early too, mostly for MMOs and RPGs. I hope current games will have enough detail in the textures to be immersive.

5. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Yeah I'll be getting in early too, mostly for MMOs and RPGs. I hope current games will have enough detail in the textures to be immersive.
    Supposedly, your own brain will do part of the work, and even relatively low res textures (relative to real world) will look realistic because your brain will be tricked into thinking it's real. Or perhaps it's more correct to say that it won't look realistic like the real world, but it will look like a real virtual world where you are walking around in.

The greatest factor in immersion is probably framerate, followed closely by resolution (to avoid pixelation). If a choice is needed I would lower a game's visual quality in order to maintain a consistent 90 fps at 2160x1200.

6. Post
    not even slightly interested. AR maybe, but VR has too many drawbacks.

7. Post
    Will be getting the Steam VR and controller since I'm a Steam fanboy. Since most of my games are on Steam and I plan to keep it that way, I'm hoping it will have the best support for them

8. Post
    this reminds me...I need to make a google cardboard out of that Nutrigrain I box I saved

9. Post
    Pfffft amateur.

I have had/still own:
    VFX-1 (circa mid-90s, quite a lot of DOS games supported it)
    Emagin E800 (mid-2000s), when it broke I sent it to Palmer Luckey to be repaired, which it couldn't so it may have contributed parts to Rift prototypes
    Vuzix VR1200 (late 2000's piece of crap)
    Oculus DK1
    Oculus DK2
    Razer Hydra

Right now the tech of most interest for me is where MS are going with Hololens.

10. Post
    Well, to be fair everything before DK2 doesn't feel like a product I would be willing to spend money on, and I'd rather try them at conventions.

Hololens are interesting in their own ways, but I'm more interested in them for non-gaming reasons. I'm more appealed by immersive VR gaming than AR gaming in the real world.

11. Post
    having played quite a bit with Oculus rifts, by far the best experiences are ones where your in-game character is seated , and your view direction doesn't effect the direction you are travelling. e.g. driving games, flight sims.

Games where you actually move around and your vision direction determines your direction (FPS games e.g. HalfLife2, TF2,) are just really hard to play. They are pretty cool and fun for a bit, but nowhere near as immersive.

So the best controllers will be things like racing wheels, joysticks etc.

Shameless plug: We've got a booth at armageddon auckland this weekend, and will have a few Oculus rifts there for you people to play with if you haven't given it a go.

12. Post
    BigPipeNZ wrote:
    having played quite a bit with Oculus rifts, by far the best experiences are ones where your in-game character is seated , and your view direction doesn't effect the direction you are travelling. e.g. driving games, flight sims.

Games where you actually move around and your vision direction determines your direction (FPS games e.g. HalfLife2, TF2,) are just really hard to play. They are pretty cool and fun for a bit, but nowhere near as immersive.

Shameless plug: We've got a booth at armageddon auckland this weekend, and will have a few Oculus rifts there for you people to play with if you haven't given it a go.
    Can't direction just be controlled by something else in games where you're running around?

Even using a mouse and keyboard for movement + aiming...

13. Post
    BigPipeNZ wrote:

Ive used TrackIR before, Im pretty sure you can make it so direction is irrelevant to vision? At least in HL2 it was.

14. Post
    BigPipeNZ wrote:

Haven't played with an oculus headset myself, but wouldn't it make more sense to do traditional movement and have your looking direction influence your aim in an FPS?

These devs seem to think we want to stand up and run around while playing games. Maybe some of us do, but I can't believe that's the majority. Gaming is relaxing time for me.

15. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Ive used TrackIR before, Im pretty sure you can make it so direction is irrelevant to vision? At least in HL2 it was.
    Absolutely, bu it depends on the game engine. For example the Arma engines have seperate head movement, but iirc none of the BF engines have.

I had Dayz going on the DK1 until they moved to BattleEye (it blocks 3rd party drivers like vorpx and opentrack).

Arma 3 look stunning on the DK2.

The problem with VR gear at expos is it's like undies, the fit needs to be personalized - which cannot be achieved easily in these environments.

16. Post
    Boreas wrote:
    Can't direction just be controlled by something else in games where you're running around?

It depends on the software. Look up "decoupling". It's a big issue especially for VR treadmills. Obviously, a lot of games built for VR support it, but most traditional AAA titles on the market do not. Exceptions are highly moddable games like Skyrim, which can be modded to support decoupling.

17. Post
    Boreas wrote:

oh you absolutely can, it's just not quite as immersive.

18. Post

The VR Dream

Vulcan wrote:
    Arma 3 look stunning on the DK2.
    This and iRacing are the only reasons I want VR.

Heck, I remember like 25 years ago trying a virtual reality centre in Birmingham uk, where you sat in this huge as chair with a massive helmet on doing vr polygon wireframe space shooting. Blew my mind back then so can't wait Arma . Heck even having vr with the immersion you got in the original DayZ mod would be mind blowing

19. Post
    I'm actually thinking we could see the return of the arcade here: I'm guessing we're talking tens of thousands initially for these kinds of omni treadmill setups?

20. Post
    Arcade? Mmm, perhaps. However, I think it's more likely that some existing net cafes will try to adapt the tech?

One problem though is that a lot of gamers are short-sighted to varying degrees, and the VR headsets do not have perfect solutions at the moment. And even should a good solution present itself, I expect it to be highly personalised (i.e. custom lens), and not suitable for usage by public.

Haha, if VR takes off big time perhaps it will lead to a huge rise in vision correction surgeries and push that tech a decade ahead too!

21. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    Arcade? Mmm, perhaps. However, I think it's more likely that some existing net cafes will try to adapt the tech?

One problem though is that a lot of gamers are short-sighted to varying degrees, and the VR headsets do not have perfect solutions at the moment. And even should a good solution present itself, I expect it to be highly personalised (i.e. custom lens), and not suitable for usage by public.

Haha, if VR takes off big time perhaps it will lead to a huge rise in vision correction surgeries and push that tech a decade ahead too!
    Surely you mean long-sighted? I'm short sighted (can't see far away clearly) and I would think having a head set right in front of my eyes would make things easier to see. The depth perception in a 3d game is an illusion afterall. It's literally right in front of you.

22. Post
    Not really VR but new toy at work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12108246_10153767157403060_7898987086749733312_n.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	207410

23. Post
    Got to try VR (Oculus DK2) for the first time a few months back, Tried it in Elite: Dangerous with X52 joystick/throttle and a cockpit seat setup. Blew my ****ing mind, took me back to the feeling of complete awe I got from playing Battlefield 1942 for the first time. I think VR will be pretty big when the consumer versions start launching in 2016.

May really appeal to gamers like myself in the mid/late 20's or early thirties that have kind of lost that feeling of awe/giddiness when playing games as there has been nothing really new over the last 10 years, plus that age bracket is generally more likely to be able to afford the PC/VR unit costs I guess?

The DK2 looks incredible and the consumer version has a higher resolution than it so will be even better.

Can't wait.

24. Post
    elemunk wrote:
    Got to try VR (Oculus DK2) for the first time a few months back, Tried it in Elite: Dangerous with X52 joystick/throttle and a cockpit seat setup. Blew my ****ing mind, took me back to the feeling of complete awe I got from playing Battlefield 1942 for the first time. I think VR will be pretty big when the consumer versions start launching in 2016.

May really appeal to gamers like myself in the mid/late 20's or early thirties that have kind of lost that feeling of awe/giddiness when playing games as there has been nothing really new over the last 10 years, plus that age bracket is generally more likely to be able to afford the PC/VR unit costs I guess?

The DK2 looks incredible and the consumer version has a higher resolution than it so will be even better.

Can't wait.
    Are you trying to say people in their mid 30's are too old to play games?

25. Post
    -DC- wrote:
    Not really VR but new toy at work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12108246_10153767157403060_7898987086749733312_n.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	207410
    Is that how the 360 youtube vids are made?

But come on guys lets not forget.........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	630x.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	207411