1. Post
    Yeah there are some definite drawbacks from using the quest Link cable. Currently the most obvious is that it's in beta, so a very very limited amount of GPUs are supported (no AMD GPUs at all)

Valeyard wrote:
    The Quest would be a great option if was actually stocked in a NZ store.
    Any reason why you can't you order from the oculus website? It's including duties and free shipping.

2. Post
    So I'm waiting around for the Oculus Go 32GB to drop to US$149 on Black Friday as my first step into VR.

I mainly want to try it for movies etc.

Should I get that Odyssey+ or the Quest instead?

3. Post
    brand wrote:
    So I'm waiting around for the Oculus Go 32GB to drop to US$149 on Black Friday as my first step into VR.

I mainly want to try it for movies etc.

Should I get that Odyssey+ or the Quest instead?
    If you have any interest in SteamVR then the Quest would be better

If (like me) you are just watching movies/TV in bed, the oculus go is great. You can also stream SteamVR via Virtual Desktop to the Oculus Go, but the lack of proper VR controllers is limiting (stuff that uses a traditional game controller works well though)

4. Post
    Odyssey+ requires a computer.

The Go is good if all you are wanting to do is watch movies etc it has an official netflix app etc. the Quest is a much better purchase if you want to do anything more in the future

5. Post
    The built-in netflix app is trash though

It's a much better experience using Virtual Desktop (I feel like a paid shill, but it really is an excellent bit of software - Oculus should just buy it so it can be bundled at sale)

6. Post
    I was mainly thinking of using Plex to play videos on a large virtual screen -how is the Oculus Plex app?

7. Post
    It's okay, but I still maintain VR Desktop is better.

8. Post
    Yeah nah, Quest + Skybox VR + Plex Media Server + 3D Movies = winning.

Also Skybox VR plays CzechVR 3D SBS 180 degree movies

9. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Yeah nah, Quest + Skybox VR + Plex Media Server + 3D Movies = winning.

Also Skybox VR plays CzechVR 3D SBS 180 degree movies
    Have you actually tried Virtual Desktop? The image quality is noticably better than any of the other apps (you can force 72hz mode on the Oculus go, and it's heavily optimised using sliced and foveated rendering) and supports 3D content in various forms, with no DRM restrictions - basically if you can show it on your monitor you can stream it through the app

The downside is you need a computer turned on, but I don't turn off my desktop anyway so it's much of a muchness

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

10. Post
    Skybox VR is good, but where possible I've used Virtual Desktop since that came out on the Go.

For anyone buying the Odessey+ I highly recommend getting the handmade headstrap for it that is made here in NZ by Studioform Creative (you can then wear it like a baseball cap).

And get the face cover from VR Cover, it has much more padding than the stock one, is sweat proof and prevents light leakage - both of these mods combined make it much more comfortable to wear - without them it can put quite a bit of pressure on your forehead if you don't have a small head.

11. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Have you actually tried Virtual Desktop?
    Yes, since when it was a freebie in development. Have you tried Skybox VR on a Quest?

12. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Yes, since when it was a freebie in development. Have you tried Skybox VR on a Quest?
    Only on the Go - in that context Virtual Desktop is much better optimised than Skybox VR, at least in terms of image quality and latency; I would be very surprised if it's the other way around on the Quest but happy to be corrected.

If you haven't tried it lately I'd recommend giving it a go - there have been some significant changes in the last few months (expanding the color gamut and streaming bitrate in normal mode, and rendering improvements and significantly higher streaming bitrate in SteamVR mode)

13. Post
    brand wrote:
    Be careful you are bumping right against the $400 GST limit.
    I just cancelled my order. YouShop changed their T&C after my order and charge GST on everything now.

14. Post
    Yes, because the new GST rules kick in on Sunday.

Even with GST added though, it is still cheap for what it is - it is the best of the gaming focused WMR headsets and uses the same screen as the expensive Vive Pro, but is even better due to Samsung's SDE filter.

15. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Yes, because the new GST rules kick in on Sunday.
    Yes - But with an order straight from Amazon I likely wouldn't have been nipped with GST. I was trying to save $30 :/. Didn't realise YouShop were doing the charging.

16. Post
    It sounds like Youshop are getting ahead of themselves GST should only apply to goods purchased and paid for on or after 1 December.

17. Post
    It will probably be because by the time it arrives and is processed here it will be past that date now.

18. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    It will probably be because by the time it arrives and is processed here it will be past that date now.
    That shouldn't matter -it is when it was paid for that is important not when it arrives.

EDIT: In the case of Youshop it will be the date you pay Youshop which if before 1 Dec shouldn't have GST added.
    Last edited by brand; 26th November 2019 at 12:51 pm.

19. Post

20. Post
    Never got that. Would have been nice!
    It looks like their web site had a pretty bad changeover.

21. Post
    Any good deals on VR headsets?

22. Post
    |icED-e@RtH| wrote:
    Any good deals on VR headsets?
    Nope, none, there are no deals whatsoever, definitely don't go reading the previous page because no deals are posted there at all.

23. Post
    haha,..yeah that was lazy of me, I should've looked there..

24. Post
    I'm hoping Oculus do something in the next day. Lenovo have nothing on their Black Friday deals (lenovo.com) and Oculus.com still looks business as usual.

I think all their deals will probably be retail based.

25. Post
    Oculus deals start 28th US time so later this evening hopefully -basically $50 off all their headsets except for the Quest which doesn't get a discount but does get a software bundle thrown in.

This will apply to all their retailers so even if it is US only we can order it from Amazon etc. and get the discount.

Like I said earlier I have my eye on the Oculus Go 32GB which should be drop to US$150 that seems like a really good entry price to me.