1. Post
    Vic wrote:
    I'd go for the 5k version as opposed to the 8k. Any minor resolution improvement over the Rift is good enough for me, it's just the FOV I'm really after, so I'll buy any HMD that does it first.
    All the feedback I've heard about the pimax is quite negative (build quality, lenses, low refresh rate, no tracking system).

2. Post
    I like that they are giving the option to just buy the headset. So people with a Vive already dont have to pay extra for the controllers/base station etc.

3. Post
    Lennysaurus wrote:
    I like that they are giving the option to just buy the headset. So people with a Vive already dont have to pay extra for the controllers/base station etc.
    LOL no, there is only one choice so how can it be an option? There are new controllers coming out after the vive pro.

4. Post
    The new palm grips? ****...im not going to be able to afford any of this haha

2k I reckon for new vive
    500 new palm grip controllers
    3k to upgrade my computer to run new vive

sigh

5. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    LOL no, there is only one choice so how can it be an option? There are new controllers coming out after the vive pro.
    They confirmed it in the presentation at CES. There is an option to just buy only the headset, since it is compatible with the original Vive lighthouses and controllers.

Don't know how good this source is, but $350USD for the upgrade isn't too bad for me.

https://medium.com/silicon-valley-gl...r-9e311ee6c5a5

6. Post
    Whats that 700 nz? Thats not bad at all! The lighthouses would be exactly the same, so no point buying them again. Although would be good to mount another pair at my desk so I have two spaces for VR haha

7. Post
    https://skarredghost.com/2017/06/07/...dation-vive-2/

Kinda interesting article about how next gen stuff should be a lot cheaper, and the differences in 1.0 lightboxes to 2.0

Also

"During CES this week, Valve said that SteamVR Tracking 2.0 allows the new base stations to be “smaller, more reliable, and offer improved performance,” including a 10 10 meter tracking volume. The company this week also affirmed the ability to connect up to four base stations together, though it’s unclear if the 10 10 volume requires four base stations or if it can be achieved with just two. We’ve reached out to the company for clarity."

8. Post
    noob question about vive

do games have to be played inside a room where you can move around? I prefer to just stay seated or standing in place and not have to move around, can that be done with vive or does it force you to move around the room to play games?

9. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    noob question about vive

do games have to be played inside a room where you can move around? I prefer to just stay seated or standing in place and not have to move around, can that be done with vive or does it force you to move around the room to play games?
    Nah there are loads of games you can just sit in your chair and play, or stand in one spot.

When you set it up for your playspace you have two options. Roomscale and Standing/Sitting.

10. Post
    There are both really. My favourite VR games can be played either standing or moving around (e.g. Raw data, Arizona sunshine). When standing you can teleport where you want to go - rather than walk. I actually prefer this and usually stay in one place but lean over or like take a step in either direction if needed (eg. opening a car door).

Some games are purely seated and use keyboard and mice or a controller to play, and some are PC games which the vive offers a more immersive experience e.g IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad is a mainly PC game but it can be played wearing a vive headset so you feel like you are in the cockpit of the plane scanning around for enemies.

You still need the sensors on the wall though - as mine is setup in our garage it kinda makes it hard to play seated mouse and keyboard games haha

Are you thinking about getting one SirGrim? I was real anti them (thought theyd be shite) and then the wife bought me and her a VR experience. I really didnt want to go as thought it would be crap. Had to make her drive home so I could search for one on the way home - was that impressed. So id recommend trying it out that way - as they can be costly haha

11. Post
    Can anyone ballpark the cost of a vive pro (with controllers) and an entirely new machine to run it? Would 4000 be pushing it?

I was going to wait for 2nd gen but tempted now...

12. Post
    4k would prob be bang on. Especially if you had existing parts you could reuse in a new machine. Apparently the vive 2 is going to be cheaper - first one was around 1500. But theyve made advancements that have made huge savings in build costs. Hopefully these get passed on to the consumer lol.

13. Post
    Would a 1080 run it well enough or do you think most people will be pushing for 1080TIs?

14. Post
    Equity wrote:
    Are you thinking about getting one SirGrim? I was real anti them (thought theyd be shite) and then the wife bought me and her a VR experience. I really didnt want to go as thought it would be crap. Had to make her drive home so I could search for one on the way home - was that impressed. So id recommend trying it out that way - as they can be costly haha
    Maybe one day, just needed to know if they can be used seated as I don't have the space to move around without knocking into stuff

I can't quite justify the price yet, I could buy a lot of other cool stuff with that money too

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Maybe one day, just needed to know if they can be used seated as I don't have the space to move around without knocking into stuff

I can't quite justify the price yet, I could buy a lot of other cool stuff with that money too
    I use mine in 2 spaces. In my room, I only have enough room for sitting and standing in one place. But I have mine set up with 10m long extension chords, and on weekends when I am playing I just move the base stations and run it out to my garage where i have a massive space to play in.

I honestly don't know how worth it would be if you don't have access to roomscale in some way.

You might wanna go to a VR arcade and have a decent hoon in there first.

16. Post
    Where can I buy USB 3.0 active extension cables in NZ? I bought some on ebay but they're unreliable, shows up as USB 2.0 and sometimes 3.0. Both work in 2.0 but when I plug them and my Oculus HMD into a USB hub everything goes tits up, HMD and sensors drop in/out, yet they all work fine when I plug directly into the hub so it's not that or my PC at fault.

All the extension cables people recommend on the forums and reddit are a rip, such as the monoprice cables which cost $82usd for shipping alone. There's gotta be a reasonable option somewhere. There are more options on ebay but they might all be as unreliable as the ones I bought already.

17. Post
    Use Youshop if the only issue is excessive shipping costs.

18. Post
    Vive PRO is released. Just the headset though. Full package of light box and controllers to be released sometime this year.

Must say I am tempted..the 78 percent (or 68 - going off the top of my head) in resolution is amazing.

19. Post
    just remember, 78% of a small amount is still small - vive pro still has a small resolution

20. Post
    I have the vive...the pro is a significant improvement!

21. Post
    Actually...im going to agree with you...

but ill still buy for the better tracking, larger space and wireless

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  190.3 KB

https://www.digitaltrends.com/virtua...-htc-vive-pro/

22. Post
    Skyrim VR + a Vive Pro + a big playing space would heaven.

23. Post
    I'm gonna sit and wait on upgrading my headset. That's a big whack of cash, and I'm not convinced that it is enough of an upgrade for me yet.

In other news, SkyRim VR is awesome.

24. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Skyrim VR + a Vive Pro + a big playing space would heaven.
    if they update the game so that your hit box follows your headset/controllers (you) as you move around your space

25. Post
    Anyone know where I can find an Oculus rift? All I can find are Vive's. None of the major NZ retailers seem to stock Rift anymore.