NZ eSports event to be televised for first time

Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
(2 votes)

1. Post
    I feel knackered after a 12 hour Dirt rally and Arma 3 session

2. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    Arguments are stupid. E-sports are different to regular sports, hence why it has a different f*cking name. Case close. Argument over.
    uh, no, it's just a name, like water sports, or motorsport. It's a catagorisation.
    LOL at these lame arguments.

3. Post
    jmart321 wrote:
    Agree, e-sports is not the same word as sports so why use the definition of sport to apply to e-sport

Sports played electronically and naming it e-sports is a lot like reading books electronically naming such books e-books is it not?
    Combat sports, extreme sports, team sports, endurance sports

4. Post
    having played all sorts of sports to reasonably competitive levels and done a lot of gaming, I can appreciate what these guys do.

You train hard for something like a triathlon and as long as you have the basic skills (swim, cycle, run efficiently) you are gonna do pretty good.

You can play a lot of LOL though, heaps infact, but if you aren't actually good you are not gonna get anywhere.

5. Post
    jmart321 wrote:
    Agree, e-sports is not the same word as sports so why use the definition of sport to apply to e-sport

Sports played electronically and naming it e-sports is a lot like reading books electronically naming such books e-books is it not?
    A book being electronic doesn't change the essence of the thing, the words in a book don't depend on the medium, they're always the same. Likewise for email, the essence of the thing is in the content, not the delivery mechanism.

The equivalent for "esport" would be uploading a player's consciousness into a computer simulation of a sport, or virtual reality, or something. Think Tron.

6. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    "Competitive video gaming"?
    You just defined the act of playing any multiplayer videogame

7. Post
    Inkling wrote:
    The equivalent for "esport" would be uploading a player's consciousness into a computer simulation of a sport, or virtual reality, or something. Think Tron.
    What? No.

What is the "essence" of sport? Completing against someone in order to better them for the entertainment of others...

What is the "essence" of multiplayer video games? Completing against someone in order to better them for the entertainment of yourself/others...

8. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    What? No.

What is the "essence" of sport? Completing against someone in order to better them for the entertainment of others...

What is the "essence" of multiplayer video games? Completing against someone in order to better them for the entertainment of yourself/others...
    It's already been explained what the essence of sport is, a pastime or competitive activity in which physical prowess (athleticism or dexterity) is a primary fundamental element. Even if something like FIFA is a simulation of a real life sport, there's that extra level of indirection between the player and the character on screen that is actually carrying out the actions a real-life footballer would be.

9. Post
    DW wrote:
    People get suspended now for posting "off-topic" in Open Discussion? I can't say I can see how this is any less off-topic either:
    Yeah I don't view the suspension as justified or even rational tbqh. cwm raised a valid point of discussion.

OT:
    I like the term Pro Gaming. Whether it's a physical sport like water polo or an esport like LoL, both of them require practice, training, teamwork etc

Tormenta wrote:
    Putting "e" in front of it removes it sufficiently from the realm of conventional sport, surely.

Just like e-mail, e-bail or e-discovery.
    Last edited by Lethargic; 12th November 2015 at 12:15 pm.

10. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    CS was on Fox Sports here a couple months ago. Was cool to see.
    And it was really well broadcast + the crowd was 10/10

Aside from the numptys on twitter get up in arms cause their golf wasn't on prime time.

11. Post
    cwm wrote:
    Something that fits the profession? It's certainly not a sport. I can just imagine real athletes laughing at the term.
    Chess is recognised as a sport by the IOC. Chess players are 'real athletes'. Think about that for a second.

12. Post
    cwm wrote:
    sport
    spɔːt/Submit
    noun
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    Yes cwm, that is the definition of "sport".

esports
    or e-sports
    [ee-spawrts, ee-spohrts]

noun
    (usually used with a plural verb) competitive tournaments of video games, especially among professional gamers.

And that is the definition of the word "esports".

Two different words, two different definitions...what's your point?

13. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    Chess is recognised as a sport by the IOC. Chess players are 'real athletes'. Think about that for a second.
    because it's pure mental exertion. lol at this wankery.

14. Post
    Posts vulgar comment about teabagging someones arsehole.
    Bans individual for 'going off topic'.

All class.

15. Post
    Mehrts wrote:
    Posts vulgar comment about teabagging someones arsehole.
    Bans individual for 'going off topic'.

All class.
    Crock of shit, innit?

16. Post
    Celticknife wrote:
    We are all (those of us that play games) athletes?

This guy can use 'athletic' in his Tinder profile description?

17. Post
    So basically people are whinging about e-sports not being a real sport and being called an e-sport, which is by the spelling, pronunciation, and meaning is different from sport, all the while not being able to produce an actual correct reason for it not being a sport?

GPOD gonna GPOD.

18. Post
    Inkling wrote:
    Who died and made you king of definitions? We should just rely on your ipse dixit? I could equally say esports only means people who play videogame simulations of real sports, like FIFA or NBA Live. It's as valid as your Tron thing
    Last edited by Tormenta; 12th November 2015 at 1:48 pm.

19. Post
    a rose by any other name - George RR Martin

20. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    So basically people are whinging about e-sports not being a real sport and being called an e-sport, which is by the spelling, pronunciation, and meaning is different from sport, all the while not being able to produce an actual correct reason for it not being a sport?

GPOD gonna GPOD.
    Seems to be the general path of conversation yea

21. Post
    M0F0 wrote:
    Crock of shit, innit?
    Not really, the post was reported and edited accordingly, what more would you want

22. Post
    The bemusing thing about this; which the other article explains more that stuff conveniently miss.

This will be broadcast live on a popup channel, but no live stream for the main tournament will be available. Instead a delayed Twitch stream will take place.

The only live stream will be of the Wild Card Tourney on the 6th of December.

23. Post
    It's a sport. Believe it or not, there is heavy training involved, especially at the higher levels ( I know, I've been there )

As has been stated the term "eSports" takes it away from the traditional meaning, and instead means "Electronic Sports". I wouldn't class Chess as a sport, but apparently it is.

24. Post
    voy1dnz wrote:
    The bemusing thing about this; which the other article explains more that stuff conveniently miss.

This will be broadcast live on a popup channel, but no live stream for the main tournament will be available. Instead a delayed Twitch stream will take place.

The only live stream will be of the Wild Card Tourney on the 6th of December.
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused - you're saying it's live on tv, but not online?

25. Post
    jaygee wrote:
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused - you're saying it's live on tv, but not online?
    Yeah.