1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    so it will be coming eventually. there really isnt any reason for a publisher to say no.

skate 3 is going to be playable in december and that news made me go out and buy a brand new copy of skate 3 the other day - money that I otherwise would not have spent

3. Post
    Does the backwards compatibility offer any advantages over playing the same title on a 360 console? Are they played in 1080p/60FPS? Or are they untouched?

4. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    so it will be coming eventually. there really isnt any reason for a publisher to say no.
    Well there is one reason I can think of. Remakes. If a game is getting an HD/Remastered/Remake/Enhanced Edition/Directors Cut/GimmeYoCash edition then making the original release available on current hardware could affect sales and therefore would not be something that the publisher would be keen on.

Having said that; what are the chances we'll see the RDR HD re-release?

Rii wrote:
    Does the backwards compatibility offer any advantages over playing the same title on a 360 console? Are they played in 1080p/60FPS? Or are they untouched?
    No difference from what information has been released thus far. Seems that the emulation itself eats the processing bandwidth that would otherwise be used to improved performance or increased rendering resolution.

5. Post
    From what I've seen some of the games could run worse due to emulation. Some may run better, here's hoping Skate 3 is flawless

6. Post
    I'd still like to see RDR out on the PC... never managed to play this when I had the ps3 and now have a ps4. I suppose I could buy a last gen console just for this but seems a waste of $$

7. Post
    You'd have to since its not coming to PC until someone can emulate it and PS4 will never have backwards compatibility, Sony just isn't interested for whatever reason (possibly emulating the PS3 is harder than a xbox 360).

For the PC emulation part there is a work in progress for RDR, currently its able to boot the loading screens and start menu but crashes after loading the game, so its a long ways off (years) from a playable emulation of the game
    Last edited by SirGrim; 13th November 2015 at 7:37 pm.

8. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    (possibly emulating the PS3 is harder than a xbox 360).
    Emulating the PS3 on the PS4 is as close to impossible as you're going to get in the software world. The 360 and Xbox one architecture are far closer in how they operate than the PS3 and PS4 architecture.

9. Post
    maybe because this is about exclusivity bull shit for next gen which they dont support. umm huh RDR was never released on PC?? i find that quite surprising.

10. Post
    UberMouse wrote:
    Emulating the PS3 on the PS4 is as close to impossible as you're going to get in the software world. The 360 and Xbox one architecture are far closer in how they operate than the PS3 and PS4 architecture.
    That's what Sony (and IBM?) gets for building a new chip architecture in the PS3. Microsoft knows Virtual Machines - all their emulators in the development realm run in small VMs - and I assume the Xbox One runs a Hyper V enabled processor, making it 'super' easy for them.

I doubt that it's that THAT impossible for Sony to emulate the PS3, but the cost of turning all those custom instructions for the PS3's core into something the PS4 will understand will be a huge investment of time, and prone to errors.

11. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Hmm you can record clips and take screenshots etc, and stuff like Twitch streaming all work with the 360 stuff too on Xbox One. That's about it I think.

I prefer the Xbox One controller too so I guess that would be considered an advantage to me. I have the improved d-pad 360 controller but it still pales in comparison to the Xbox One's one.

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    PS4 will never have backwards compatibility, Sony just isn't interested for whatever reason
    And which arse did you pull this info out of?
    It has neither been confirmed OR denied...

UberMouse wrote:
    Same goes to you, unless I'm very much mistaken and the pair of you are Sony devs? Which I doubt.

13. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Licensing agreements. Eg Hitman Contracts wasn't on Steam for many years because of legal clearance over a single licensed song. Mafia 1 was pulled from Steam because song licensing periods expired. Various reissues of GTA: Vice City and San Andreas (eg mobile ports, 360 XBLA port) have had songs removed. Movie licensed games have been removed from digital store shelves as the publishers' agreements have run out.

14. Post
    Bu1ld0g wrote:

Same goes to you, unless I'm very much mistaken and the pair of you are Sony devs? Which I doubt.
    well yoshida did say just a week ago there was no plans. but also with sony investing money into PS Now (which NZ doesn't have, can someone please tell me why?) why would they?
    Last edited by Cyrax78; 14th November 2015 at 11:05 am.

15. Post
    This is one game I would love to see remastered.

16. Post
    Some titles actually work better through backwards compatibility.

Fallout 3 for instance, which was just tested achieves higher average fps and lower frame times

17. Post
    Rii wrote:
    I've been using it for a few months now. In short the games look and play exactly the same way it does on X360. These are not modified, but emulated, so things such as improved frame rate etc simply aren't possible as X360 were generally frame locked. About the only benefits you'll see is were some games may have had issues due to pushing the 360 hardware and the X1 having a faster GPU and more ram etc freeing that issue up. I simply haven't had the chance to test any of those games yet, so not sure if this carries across to reality. The video comparison Grim posted above for Fallout 3, does show this to be the case however.

Mass Effect looks and plays exactly the same on the X1 and 360.

18. Post
    Bu1ld0g wrote:

Well Sony heads have stated it's something they are not interested in doing. Sure that's not a it definitely won't happen, but it does lead one to lean in that direction.

Emulating game engines and sofware that need to run software with very different architecture can be done, but are always very resource intensive. Just look at all the emulators on PC for this. The PS3 was a very complicated software engine and written specifically for the PS3 hardware architecture utilising cpu cores in ways etc which simply are foreign to standard X86 architecture. I simply can't see the PS4 having the power to successfully emulate the PS3. It can likely be done, but running the games at satisfactory performance... I highly doubt.

19. Post
    Bu1ld0g wrote:

The PS4 doesn't have the power to perform the emulation of the Cellprocessor (well I won't say it's literally impossible, but it would definitely be very difficult and very expensive and the end result probably wouldn't have many fps). Think about how difficult it is to emulate a PS2 on a modern processor that is dozens of times more powerful. Hardware is far more powerful than software and you would have to emulate pretty much the entirety of the PS3 hardware in software.

Cyrax78 wrote:
    well yoshida did say just a week ago there was no plans. but also with sony investing money into PS Now (which NZ doesn't have, can someone please tell me why?) why would they?
    Most likely because they would need to have datacenters in Australia to run all the games because the latency to the US is far too high to stream games.

(If PS Now is in Australia then maybe they're just being dicks)

20. Post
    PS NOW doesn't work for me, when I try to use it says "testing connection" then comes up with an error saying something like "connection is too weak to support PS NOW"

21. Post
    Yup same thing happened to me when I tried it from my US PSN account. I suspect it's just failing a latency check

22. Post
    UberMouse wrote:
    Most likely because they would need to have datacenters in Australia to run all the games because the latency to the US is far too high to stream games.

(If PS Now is in Australia then maybe they're just being dicks)
    Ahh ok thanks man.