Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Post

[Steam] "duplicate product code" ...from EB Games retail copy

Is anyone else receiving this error when trying to activate a retail copy of a game on Steam?
    Have already taken it back once to get a new copy.
    Am thinking either a) something is up with my Steam account, b) something is up with Steam itself, or c) some muppet temp holiday worker at EB has gone and given out the codes from the bits of paper to his mates or something
    Hopefully this thread can let me rule out option b)

EB Games 0800 number was useless, when I finally got through they basically just said they can't help and to take it back to the store. Again. So before I try that, just seeing if anyone else has had issues

2. Post
    you need to contact valve, make sure you send them a picture of the case AND cd-key to prove you are the rightful owner.
    they will de-activate the game from the other account its tied to and assign it to yours

3. Post
    It could possibly be a returned game either re-shelved by incompetent EB staff (before having the key deactivated) or by someone returning it saying "I never played it".

You'll have to take it back to get a refund/replacement. Happens quite often (have had friends that it's happened to).

4. Post
    I thought EB games stopped doing returns with PC games. :S My best bet is to get a full refund from EB Games and try a different retail store

5. Post
    don't most stores have policies which prevent people from doing backsies like this

6. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    I thought EB games stopped doing returns with PC games. :S My best bet is to get a full refund from EB Games and try a different retail store
    So did I, however a friend of mine has gotten a refund/replacement on PC games before now (quite recently) /shrug.

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    you need to contact valve, make sure you send them a picture of the case AND cd-key to prove you are the rightful owner.
    they will de-activate the game from the other account its tied to and assign it to yours
    Valve won't help:

"Please do not reply to this email. Any replies will not be read by our staff.
    Hello,
    Thank you for submitting your question to our staff.
    If you have purchased a used/second hand CD key, please contact the seller to discuss a refund or exchange. Steam Support cannot assist with used CD keys.
    Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
    https://support.steampowered.com/view.php?ticketref=8432-YASM-6581"

EB's 0800 line goes to Australia and is useless. Gonna call EB Invercargill and see if they can help.
    Third time lucky maybe?
    EDIT: agh they close at 4pm. Guess I'll go in tomorrow again : /

8. Post
    Hard to tell if it is on your end.Are you able to check on another steam account?Likely not but worth a go,You can refund keys now through steam

9. Post
    iludez wrote:
    Hard to tell if it is on your end.Are you able to check on another steam account?Likely not but worth a go,You can refund keys now through steam
    So I could try with my brother's account, then refund it if it works? assuming you mean this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6695-QIKM-7966

so that should work for a retail key?

10. Post
    I think Valve will only issue refunds for purchases made within Steam, and not bought via 3rd parties.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Purchases Made Outside of Steam
    Valve cannot provide refunds for purchases made outside of Steam (for example, CD keys or Steam wallet cards purchased from third parties).

11. Post
    Yeah they wont provide a refund but they will let you take the key back i believe.

12. Post
    iludez wrote:
    Yeah they wont provide a refund but they will let you take the key back i believe.
    i doubt it.

13. Post
    KrimzinZV wrote:
    i doubt it.
    Pretty sure it works as a mate gave me a key from g2a.Game sucked so i tried refunding and it said remove from account with key or something like that

- - - Updated - - -

They may have changed it now though

14. Post
    ^Well, I'm not gonna risk it just in case.

Got a reply from Valve, the second code I got has definitely been used and played (presumably the first had too).
    So seems EB Games Invercargill have either been accepting returned PC games and putting them back into stock, or someone along the line has been giving the codes out.
    Will go in tomorrow and pick up a *third* copy.

15. Post
    Im actually suprised eb games are letting you do this,And im even more suprised they let other people do it.

16. Post
    Pretty sure they have to. It's their **** ups that caused it in the first place. It'd be Fair Go material if they didn't.

When a copy goes back to them, they send it away as defective apparently. It doesn't go back into their stock. Well, it isn't meant to anyway.

I would suspect that the codes on the copies that get sent back get red-flagged by the publisher/Valve, to prevent people claiming they don't work, getting a refund, but continuing to use them

17. Post
    I think iludez is referring to the fact that they could try and refuse any replacement/refund on the count of you defrauding them (on-selling keys then saying you weren't given a working key).

18. Post
    Yeah just thought of that; see my edited post. I will enquire further when I go in tomorrow

19. Post
    Ah ok.

Once given a new key, try and register it on your account as they watch via your phone or something? Just so you're not having to make another trip back with yet another used key.

20. Post
    I will log into my account using my brother's laptop, bring that in and attemp to install and activate in-store.

21. Post
    Richard7666 wrote:
    I will log into my account using my brother's laptop, bring that in and attemp to install and activate in-store.
    If you can access some sort of public wifi or use your phone as a hotspot, then this. All the best.

22. Post
    Good luck man. Seems like way more shit than should be necessary to buy a game.

23. Post
    Sorry for the stress man. That blows. Just another reason to never buy from EB.

24. Post
    One of my colleagues had the same problem with Fallout 4 from JB-Hifi. They eventually had to call another store and get a code off them (he brought in his laptop to show them that the code doesn't work, and they tried another code which didn't work).
    My code from the same store worked first time though.

25. Post
    crazystu wrote:
    One of my colleagues had the same problem with Fallout 4 from JB-Hifi. They eventually had to call another store and get a code off them (he brought in his laptop to show them that the code doesn't work, and they tried another code which didn't work).
    My code from the same store worked first time though.
    The strong play would have been to snap a picture of the failure with their phone, scan their phone with the screenshot to pc, then print the scan of the phone with the photo of the failure and take that in.

PS: Sick G1 bg