1. Post
    A friend bought me one of these and I've been going bananas on the zucchinis and carrots lately. I'm surprised how well it actually works, I had scoffed at her until I started using it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zucc.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	211876

2. Post
    I want one of those pans, except with a metal handle so you can put it in the oven. Saves on doing extra dishes. I cook from scratch almost every day and I make such a mess :/

3. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    Turned this from the garden

[snip]
    That rhubarb was picked a tad early, red is ripe, still has a lot of green. Supermarkets do it all the time so maybe people think it's meant to look like that. Still delicious, I spose.

TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    I want one of those pans, except with a metal handle so you can put it in the oven. Saves on doing extra dishes. I cook from scratch almost every day and I make such a mess :/
    A cast iron skillet? Or is it a particular brand you're looking at? Got one with a metal handle myself, is pretty amazing.

massive wrote:
    A friend bought me one of these and I've been going bananas on the zucchinis and carrots lately. I'm surprised how well it actually works, I had scoffed at her until I started using it.

[snip]
    I've got a lot of cookware that just lies around, those look handy but eventually it would become one of those things.

4. Post
    I chopped the green off. It was still a bit tart but good to eat.

No particular brand of pans, just miss using iron pans at work I guess.

Vege noodles does seem like a good idea but I think I would get sick of it too eventually. But it's still good for making julienne veg for salad if you just chop them shorter.

5. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:

Vege noodles does seem like a good idea but I think I would get sick of it too eventually. But it's still good for making julienne veg for salad if you just chop them shorter.
    I leave some of the green in, I find the bitterness can complement it in moderation, however thats highly preferential. Nothing beats properly ripened rhubarb though, unfortunately the only times I've seen that is when my Granddad was growing it.

Cast iron pans really are great, and you can get adequate ones on the cheap with a bit of research, don't know about Sweden although I'd imagine they'll have more options than we do.

6. Post
    I'm living in this small town that doesn't have a lot and if I do find something it's usually not very cheap.

7. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    I'm living in this small town that doesn't have a lot and if I do find something it's usually not very cheap.
    I'm heading out to some second shops on the weekend to try and find soda syphon. I'll see if I notice any pans.

I picked that one up for 10kr (holy shit the same pan is 80 on amazon).

That wood is alright in the oven at low to medium temps by the way. Not sure it would like 300 though!

I've got a lot of cookware that just lies around, those look handy but eventually it would become one of those things.
    Yea probably, but it seems like a good alternative to spaghetti during the winter when it's really easy to eat lots of creamy and cheesy pasta dishes.

8. Post
    @TECHNOVIKING those cookies/icing are rad, nice one. Is that pan different from cast iron, and if so how?

9. Post
    clip wrote:
    Is that pan different from cast iron, and if so how?
    If it has a wooden handle you can't put it in the oven.

10. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    INo particular brand of pans, just miss using iron pans at work I guess.
    I've got a range of them, the best being a Lodge, it's a good step up from cheap-mid range ones which are kind of flakey now after a few years, and the Lodge handles are real short so even a bigger one fits in the oven easily.

11. Post
    nile wrote:
    I've got a range of them, the best being a Lodge, it's a good step up from cheap-mid range ones which are kind of flakey now after a few years, and the Lodge handles are real short so even a bigger one fits in the oven easily.
    +1, mine is Lodge, solid pan.. I got it here in NZ for only $40 new as well, on a big special

12. Post
    Siu Yuk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160606_121928.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	211925
    and a little vid to show off the crackling
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...606_122743.mp4
    Might have unnecessarily chewed with mouth open when closed would have been fine.

13. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:

Just order some Lodge ones online they're fairly cheap in Europe I think.

14. Post
    When I start working again I'll definitely be upgrading a few kitchen things around here.

15. Post
    Having a giant coffee today with fudgey brownies I made yesterday.

16. Post
    Found this at the second hand place today for 75 kr

Also I made fried chicken yesterday.

17. Post
    How do you make your fried chicken? Also can you teach me how to correctly braise pork Taiwanese style.

18. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    How do you make your fried chicken? Also can you teach me how to correctly braise pork Taiwanese style.
    +1 also curious

19. Post
    I marinated in chilli sauce, then dipped in flour, then in a batter and back in flour. I put all the good stuff in the batter like onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne and salt/white pepper. I don't know how to cook Taiwanese food tbh :/

20. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    I marinated in chilli sauce, then dipped in flour, then in a batter and back in flour. I put all the good stuff in the batter like onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne and salt/white pepper. I don't know how to cook Taiwanese food tbh :/
    I'll try something like that tonight, but I'm thinking I'll do something like soy sauce + rice wine vinegar + crushed chilli + crushed ginger, then in flour etc, and maybe for spices i'll do cajun, chicken salt, paprika, and i wish i still had some cayenne left :P

Maybe cut it up smaller and put it with singapore noodles and veges

thx!

21. Post
    Doesn't cajun seasoning have cayenne in it.

22. Post
    I think it works better in smaller pieces of chicken actually. When I have to finish chicken in the oven, even on a rack, it turns a bit soggy on one side.

23. Post
    Made some fried chicken (breast), forgot to adjust camera settings for second photo and it looks more orange than gold. Spiced flour -> egg+milk mix -> panko mixed with remaining flour.

In the mortar is
    - 1t Paprika
    - 1/2t Cumin
    - 1/2t Hon Dashi (should have used 1/4t)
    - 1 & 1/2t Onion flakes
    - 3/4t Garlic flakes
    - 3/4t Oregano

also used
    - 1t of salt
    - I tend to eyeball my pepper and use a fair amount
    - Sprinkle of cayenne

Mix it in with 1/2 cup of flour

Tried doubling my usual amount of hon dashi, it tasted so meaty and the flavour stays in your mouth for ages, also overpowered the spices and chicken a bit. I've found that with strips/bites it's best to have the oil really hot (not enough to burn them though) and have them in for as short as possible, bites I have in for a minute and a half max (have done them for ~40 seconds before), these strips were around 2-4 minutes at a guess.

24. Post
    Damn they look delicious

25. Post
    Cooked organix mung bean and organic carrot noodle with white meat! Delicious and healthy!