Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Well this topic was amusing.

surges -> brownouts -> westom posting copy pasted walls of text of mostly irrelevant garbage

Also - I like how this westom guy keeps complaining about people not providing source for claims and yet doesn't provide any for his claims.

2. Post
    Tv's, HT, Consoles, Pc's mainly.

Good to know about the whole house protection thing, will consider it when doing an upgrade to the powerboard of the house.

3. Post
    Abo wrote:
    Well this topic was amusing.

surges -> brownouts -> westom posting copy pasted walls of text of mostly irrelevant garbage

Also - I like how this westom guy keeps complaining about people not providing source for claims and yet doesn't provide any for his claims.
    All sources and existing science are myth! You are being deluded by electrical engineers!

4. Post
    Thread necro but that was like reading posts by an autistic robot.

So anyways, is this https://www.playtech.co.nz/6-outlet-with-2m-cord.html likely to be any better at protecting a PC than my current $15 Edapt one from the Warehouse?

5. Post
    Probably not. Something something physics. However it comes with a $30k equipment warrenty.

6. Post
    Not a damn thing. Never had an issue, never met anyone with an issue.

7. Post
    snaffta wrote:
    Probably not. Something something physics. However it comes with a $30k equipment warrenty.
    Yep.

When looking for a surge protector I don't care too much about all the marketing figures.
    What impresses me is the amount of zeros after the dollar sign in the warranty protection cover and terms and conditions of it.

I think I speak for most people when I say I'd rather have equipment die and be replaced with brand new equipment than have old equipment last long and get outdated.

Electronic death/damage from surges is rare anyway, but if I am going to experience it, I'd rather it took some electronics out with it and for insurance/warranty to replace it.
    Last edited by SirGrim; 2nd January 2020 at 12:02 am.

8. Post
    Parents experienced a power surge via lightening strike awhile back. Their router connected directly to the wall fried itself but their PC with your usual typical surge protection strip was ok, even after a flash apparently coming out of the case.
    I suspect the reputable PSU may of offered more protection than the strip in this case.

9. Post
    Richard7666 wrote:
    Thread necro but that was like reading posts by an autistic robot.

So anyways, is this https://www.playtech.co.nz/6-outlet-with-2m-cord.html likely to be any better at protecting a PC than my current $15 Edapt one from the Warehouse?
    Belkin also have a lifetime warranty.

That said, I've had mine 10 years and it's still going strong.

10. Post
    Oh god I just remembered something I needed to post in relation to this:

Sarath Perera, associate professor of electrical engineering at the University of Wollongong says that continuous disturbances in the power supply tend to happen without our knowledge, but can substantially compromise sensitive equipment over time.

"Fifty years ago we had TVs with no electronics, but now there are so many more electronic components inside. Any piece of equipment can now be affected; a PC, VCR, in fact most of the equipment in a domestic environment has a lot of electronics in it," Mr Perera says.
    F***ing magic TVs aye Professor!

11. Post
    gathixpower wrote:
    It usually requires a certified electrician to install a master surge suppressor at the main electrical switchboard/junction (in the garage for most newer homes). There are DIY methods, but I would strongly stand against that.

Call up a few sparkies and ask for a quote.
    Do you know what kinda rough cost this would normally be? Is it just an hour's labour and the cost of the device or something?