Movies & TV General Discussion Thread

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    What are your most anciticpated movies this year? Mine are.
    Dude, so much junk food. You need some variety in your cinematic diet.

So many good movies from good directors coming out this year beyond all the superheroes and crap.

High Rise - Ben Wheatley
    Midnight Special - Jeff Nichols
    The Light Between the Oceans - Derek Cianfrance
    Paterson - Jim Jarmusch
    Hail, Caesar! - Coen Bros
    The Brothers Grimsby - Louis Leterrier
    Everybody Wants Some - Richard Linklater
    Snowden - Oliver Stone
    The Nice Guys - Shane Black
    Sully - Clint Eastwood
    The Magnificent Seven - Antoine Fuqua
    Passengers - Morten Tyldum

2. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Gwarden, it was your thread about The Witch that got me thinking about horror films ..... i grew up on them, my Dad was a massive horror fan. I got sent to bed when i was about 10 so my folks could watch The Exorcist on VHS.... i lay on my bed with my head down at the foot of the bed, and watched it through the hinge-crack in my bedroom door. Nightmares for weeks afterwards.

And awww yeah, Suspiria; how could i forget that. And Tenebrae.

Will check out the ones you mentioned; only heard of It Follows and The Babadook, so will start with those. Hopefully they're on Netflix. Oh, and Let the Right One In - must give that a watch.
    I think my love of horror traces back to the tv show Unsolved Mysteries, the theme music to that still creeps me out. Oh and catching Silence of the Lambs like you, peeking through a door while my parents were watching it. I don't really think of that as a horror film now, though, although I suppose it could be. The definition tends to be a little blurry.

Yep, most are on Netflix I believe, well Housebound is, it's a kiwi film to boot.

Black Plague*** wrote:
    Check out "The Visit" if you haven't already. I wouldn't even know where to beging to list my fave horrors.
    Yeah I reviewed it in the rate/review thread, it was pretty good.

3. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    I think my love of horror traces back to the tv show Unsolved Mysteries, the theme music to that still creeps me out.
    Holy shit, me too ..... and those parts where Robert Stack would say "...... and he's still at large"; i'd go round the house make sure all the doors and windows were locked, turn all the lights on.

4. Post
    I'm looking forward to the Spielberg/Bardem collaboration about Spanish conquistador Hernan Cortes, but I think it's still very much in its nascent stage

5. Post
    The tv landscape is ever more rapidly changing, and FX head honcho John Landgraf, who last year coined the term "peak tv", had some interesting things to say during the current TCA press tour.

Speaking about Louie, but also more broadly:

“I’m starting to feel like the process of making television can be much more fluid,” Landgraf said, forecasting an evolution toward television scheduling in which networks “follow the voice, the timing, the schedule, and the needs of the creative people rather than mold themselves into a predetermined business structure where they have to be creative on demand. To me that’s a recipe for mediocrity.”
    The AV Club article gives Fargo and True Detective as examples: True Detective's dip in quality was chalked up to time constraints by HBO head Michael Lombardo, whereas Landgraf has given Fargo's Noah Hawley all the time he needs (til 2017, in this case) to bring us new content.

So while we may have to endure longer downtime between prestige shows, it can only mean a better end product for viewers.

http://www.avclub.com/article/fx-pre...er-it-w-230857

6. Post

7. Post
    Awesome another roundtable

8. Post
    It's funny how none of them got nominated though. Edgerton was brilliant in Black Mass and The Gift.

9. Post
    Watched The Babadook yesterday. Pretty decent, enjoyed it. Going to watch It Follows this afternoon.

10. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    It's funny how none of them got nominated though. Edgerton was brilliant in Black Mass and The Gift.
    He was one of the good parts of Black Mass but man that movie was boring as ****.

11. Post
    Yeah it really was, poor script.

12. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    I think my love of horror traces back to the tv show Unsolved Mysteries, the theme music to that still creeps me out.
    It's actually what made me wary of horror movies and games until my mid-twenties... that was the level of creepy that was instilled in me due to Robert Stack and his scary **** of a show .

That, and Jaws, which killed my ocean swimming until forever.

13. Post
    I randomly saw QT on 3 News last night attending The Hateful 8 premiere here. How many directors of his calibre attend NZ premieres? Not too many. Kudos QT

14. Post
    I think it was because of the Zoe Bell connection.

15. Post
    Yeah i think so too.

Can people recommend me their top 3 TV shows at the moment? The missus and I have only had time to get into Banshee, Ray Donovan, Better Call Saul, what else is really great?

16. Post
    It's more the fact that he's touring cinemas that are showing the movie using 70mm projectors. He visited a small suburb in Melbourne also with Sam Jackson/Kurt Russell.

17. Post
    There's actually a 70mm projector in Auckland?

Tormenta wrote:
    Yeah i think so too.

Can people recommend me their top 3 TV shows at the moment? The missus and I have only had time to get into Banshee, Ray Donovan, Better Call Saul, what else is really great?
    http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/50...-Review-Thread

18. Post
    New Zealand(Auckland) Civic Restored atmospheric picture palace. 2 x DP70 with DTS and Dolby Digital. Only used for special screenings.
    New Zealand(Wellington) Embassy A trust, headed by director Peter Jackson, bought and is restoring this cinema which contains the largest indoor screen (Non-Imax) screen in the Southern Hemisphere. Christie/Century combo with DTS & Dolby Digital. Peter Jackson treats this like his own cinema and everything is "the best". Amazing sound & picture. Last 70mm screening HAMLET, BARAKA, TITANIC.

Quite a few in Melbs

Australia (Melbourne) Adastra Cinema, RAAF Base refurbished in 1994; ran Lawrence of Arabia at that time
    Australia (Melbourne) Laverton one screen; totally refurbished
    Australia (Melbourne) Astor screen 1
    Australia (Melbourne) Capitol screen 1; Cinemeccanica Victoria 8
    Australia (Melbourne) Chadstone Cinema 5
    Australia (Melbourne) Palace Trak screen 1; Cinemeccanica Victoria 8
    Australia (Melbourne) Village Coburg Drive-In screens One and Two; Last of many 70mm drive-ins

19. Post
    Hrm. Pity ChCh gets stiffed on both 70mm and IMAX.

20. Post
    Just finished Making a Murderer, going to watch Peep Show S9 and Fargo S2, then crack into The Shield.

Is The Shield similar to The Wire?

21. Post
    DW wrote:
    Is The Shield similar to The Wire?
    Not really, it's good though.

22. Post
    The Shield is a lot more action-packed. The season with Forrest Whittaker is sublime

23. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    New Zealand(Auckland) Civic Restored atmospheric picture palace. 2 x DP70 with DTS and Dolby Digital. Only used for special screenings.
    Problem is the Premiere with QT wasn't at the Civic (it should have been) but instead was at the Broadway in Newmarket. Also both the NZ ones are DP 70 right? QT's screenings in the US they pushed for was screenings on 70mm film so it while an improvement on scope it still wouldn't have been his choice of format.

The 70mm film projector used for the old 180 motion master at Rainbow's End (which was the last of it's kind in the world) was put up for sale earlier last year when that was pulled down. I had been hoping someone has purchased it with the intent of installing it somewhere for public screenings, including film prints of things like Hateful Eight, but I haven't heard anything else about where it ended up. It even noted on the news on their site that 'film buffs' had purchased the gear...

http://rainbowsend.co.nz/whats-on/ne...n-with-the-new

24. Post
    Selfish film buffs, apparently.

25. Post
    Gwarden wrote:
    Oh my god - they're actually going to finish Deadwood! It was one of HBO's biggest crimes cancelling it without a proper ending.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/deadwood...ic-1201678301/
    This is amazing news: love the crew from The Gem