1. Post

The Witch

Cannot ****ing wait for this, calling it now, horror film of the year.

In the 17th century, a Puritan family lives alone on the edge of a New England wilderness. Soon after their infant son disappears, their daughter is suspected of witchcraft, and the family begins to break down in the face of an unknown evil.

2. Post
    I want a Shyamalan twist where the families ignorance of the real world and indoctrination wont let them come to the truth that the Dingo took their baby.

3. Post
    Or in this case, goat.

4. Post
    I keep on reading the title as the V Vitch lol

5. Post
    In old english the 'w' sound was often pronounced as a 'v' sound, and I think the entirety of the script is in old english. But yeah it looks weird to read.

6. Post
    did someone literally just remake The Crucible by removing all social commentary on mass hysteria and cold war era mccarthyism?

7. Post
    It's hard to say without having seen the film.

8. Post
    It's a great movie, one of the few horror films I've seen in recent years that I really enjoyed. Saw it last January at Sundance, surprised it hasn't seen a theatrical release yet.

9. Post
    Desperately awaiting a release date.

10. Post
    17th March?

11. Post
    ^Awesome news, cheers.

12. Post
    I like the goat.

13. Post
    Got my civic tickets

All accounts say it's a sinister movie with a creepy atmosphere. Definitely prefer that over the cheap scare tactics of basic horror movies.

14. Post
    Yeah I snapped some up for the Christchurch showings. Atmosphere > jump scares, always.

15. Post
    You guys are in for a treat! Will probably also grab some chch tickets, been long enough since I saw it last.

16. Post
    I think the bluray releases in the States in May, just fyi.

17. Post
    Impossible not to love this movie. The vibe was just so perfectly dreadful. If you like the slow-burning type horror experiences (The Shining, Anti-christ, Exorcist), then this is for you.

It might not be the scariest movie out there (it was definitely up there though) but good horrors are more than just an amusement ride. For the genre to gain respect horrors should be well-executed, well-written and well-performed too. This has that in spades. The imagery was pure darkness. The soundtrack was awfully good. I don't really want to say much more other than go watch it at the theatre if you can. If you must watch at home at least wait for a decent copy and turn the sound up really loud.
    Last edited by silvereye; 17th April 2016 at 12:15 pm.

18. Post
    Just finished watching it after hanging out for it for so long.

It surely is filmed well, acted well and the sound and music is great too. But it wasn't scary at all, maybe a little creepy but then again I'm not one to easily scare from films.

For me personally, it was a decent watch, but I wouldn't rave about it to anyone. I think I over hyped it from reading positive reviews.

19. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    Impossible not to love this movie. The vibe was just so perfectly dreadful. If you like the slow-burning type horror experiences (The Shining, Anti-christ, Exorcist), then this is for you.

It might not be the scariest movie out there (it was definitely up there though) but good horrors are more than just an amusement ride. For the genre to gain respect horrors should be well-executed, well-written and well-performed too. This has that in spades. The imagery was pure darkness. The soundtrack was awfully good. I don't really want to say much more other than go watch it at the theatre if you can. If you must watch at home at least wait for a decent copy and turn the sound up really loud.
    I really enjoyed The Witch, the way it built atmosphere is how horrr should be done, and everything from costume, script, set and acting felt authentic. But man do I regret seeing this in a mediocre cinema. Any continuity was disrupted by the audience, either laughing, eating, coming in and out. To much light and empty space, and average sound. Would only recommend a very good cinema or saving it for a night in if you've got a half decent setup.

20. Post
    I just saw this, and loved it. But yeah, you need a good dark room (or to bump the brightness up) to follow some of the spookier bits. Took me a couple of watches to figure out what the hell the witch was doing with the baby at the start. But was great, the religious fanatic family slowly consuming itself with religious hysteria, and no jump scares.

Wilt thoust live del-icious-ly?