1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    I think it has more to do with people losing faith in S.E and this whole episodic shit is just another reason why.
    funny tho that they said this as I believe most of the sales for 2012 TR was on PS3/PS4 yet they went with xbox for RotTR, they were never ever going to get much sales from it.

3. Post
    Cyrax78 wrote:
    I think it has more to do with people losing faith in S.E and this whole episodic shit is just another reason why.

/thread

4. Post
    If true this is one of the most worrying things I've heard from a major publisher in a long time.

5. Post
    INB4 KHIII is episodic too.

6. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    INB4 KHIII is episodic too.
    inb4 each world is a separate purchase

7. Post
    Aren't X1 and PS4 the fastest selling/growing consoles?

8. Post
    Publishers are just trying to find excuses and fail safes for generating titles that are too shit to sell in a traditional market then using those excuses on titles that could actually sell like mad if they were full releases.

They're self fulfilling prophecies.

9. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    If true this is one of the most worrying things I've heard from a major publisher in a long time.
    its square what do you expect? They probably think the ps4 is a failure.

10. Post
    I hope this sells shit so episodic games can die.

KrimzinZV wrote:
    inb4 each world is a separate purchase
    Being able to Save the game is also DLC.

11. Post
    Episodic games are fine. In fact they are a fantastic way for independent devs to deliver a much larger experience, or for any developer to deliver an ongoing and adaptable narrative. Wanting a game to fail is needlessly negative. Wanting a publishing model to fail that has shown to produce quality games makes no sense. Its also not what this topic is about.

12. Post
    Darth Vader force choke, "I find your lack of faith... disturbing"

/only reason I read thread.

13. Post
    ChrisB wrote:
    Episodic games are fine. In fact they are a fantastic way for independent devs to deliver a much larger experience, or for any developer to deliver an ongoing and adaptable narrative. Wanting a game to fail is needlessly negative. Wanting a publishing model to fail that has shown to produce quality games makes no sense. Its also not what this topic is about.
    I agree episode games are fine in the cases of telltale games, however with FF7 they already have the story made it has never made sense to me why they chose this path. (hitman I'm not a fan so wont comment)
    I hope they do really well in both cases so as to rethink this episodic decision.

I feel S.E have lost touch with what gamer's want and this rumor if true is just another reason.

14. Post
    this just sounds like what we already knew - square enix is not the company it used to be and its quickly going down the shitter, trying to drag down anyone with it.

A decent FF7 remake would no doubt sell a few million copies if it was good - whats wrong with that?

15. Post
    The first Tomb Raider rebooth sold reasonably okay by most publisher standards but they called that, the previous Hitman and Sleeping Dogs all selling under expectations.... which is why they ported two of them so early in the current generation. And even the XBox release of the new Tomb Raider title doesn't seem to have sold to expectations... So I guess I can't be that surprised.

16. Post
    Estumas wrote:
    And even the XBox release of the new Tomb Raider title doesn't seem to have sold to expectations... So I guess I can't be that surprised.
    This is what happens when the install base is around half of the leading competitor.

17. Post
    and both the last hitman and sleeping dogs were shit games, so its no wonder that it sold poorly

18. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    and both the last hitman and sleeping dogs were shit games, so its no wonder that it sold poorly
    Yea publishers still don't seem to understand the simple equation of, if you make a shit game of course it aint going to sell unless its Call of Duty or annual franchise sports games. (But even then, the sales of those games have been falling).

19. Post
    I think it's also due to the fact Square decided to release Tomb Raider 2 right when Fallout 4 was released so it didn't really get a big enough impact. I certainly liked the story more and it had a few more puzzles.

I reckon it'd be interesting to see where Square goes with the episodic games.

20. Post
    Aren't two of those remasters from capcom - resident evil & devil may cry, pretty sure they are nothing to do with square enix

21. Post
    Cool, still waiting on half life 3

22. Post
    I have zero problem with this episodic route. It's still not Early Access, you're still getting a polished, QA'd game at the end of the day. As long as they offer season passes close to the normal $60 USD going rate for traditional "full fat games" and don't cancel any games partially the way through I again see no issues.

DefinitelyMayb wrote:
    unless its Call of Duty or annual franchise sports games. (But even then, the sales of those games have been falling).
    It means nothing ATM, Co Blops 3 was still the best selling boxed game of 2015. Madden and FIFA will continue to make money hand over fist globally.

23. Post
    jadewraith wrote:
    Cool, still waiting on half life 3
    I think you mean Episode 3

24. Post
    see, i'm ok with episodic content if it's done well (i posted in the hitman article before realising this was a thread lol) but to me jim loses credibility on this point

and that breaking games into pieces and selling off incomplete experiences was a way to make money.
    that raises flags in my head about what his argument is about. Because to me 60 hours could feel like a complete experience hell even 40 hours could be considered pretty complete to me, if S-E manage to hit a nice balance of price per hour for full content (note this doesn't include mmo style fetch quests as full content) then i don't see what the problem is with making it episodic i think people point to mass effect for good episodic strategy and i'd even point to .hack as another good episodic series.

i guess it boils down to the question "how much does jim actually know about how big each piece is?"

25. Post
    Meh, I just wait until the whole thing is released. I did that with all of the Telltale games as well.