Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    I'm not in love with the guy or anything, but yeah, citation needed for all of that I'm afraid, or you're just propagating lies/half-truths. Not sure how you'll come close to proving the Square Enix thing in particular - that seems to just be pie in the sky conjecture on your part
    You might need to reread a little, as I said he's one of the types of guys, not that it was specifically him that said anything to square enix. He has published articles and if you want to read them go ahead, they won't have anything to do with square enix in them though.

2. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    If those quotes in the Giant Bomb link are accurate, then oof, what a tool.

Actually, the full statement is slightly less galling: "The cool thing about this industry is, if youíre good, youíll make a ton of money," says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter. "I just donít have a whole lot of sympathy for people who say ĎI worked for such-and-such, and I didnít get paid, and thatís not fairí. If you want to be an hourly employee, go build automobiles, and what will happen is theyíll close down your autoplant some day and youíll be out of work."

Still a bit off, but not as bad I reckon.

Anyway, in the reddit link, people actually explain why he gets press: he gets a decent amount right (or he wouldn't have a job as an analyst), his predictions are for his clients not gamers, he has access to information that we don't, and only his wackier stuff makes the press (and is often out of context).

As one redditor put it: "We want to be pissed that there's a guy who calls himself an analyst who we want to believe knows less than us. It makes us feel better when we're right and he's wrong although we'll ignore all the times he was right."

And he does what looks like some good analysis.

Also, what I saw of his show on GameTrailers was actually pretty interesting and informative.
    I think because he mainly writes from and investors perspective, rather than a gamers, which is why he may come across as a bit of a douche.

3. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    And without the industry, there is no consumer.
    as long as there is a need or want there will be a consumer or someone who wants to consume :P and that need or want will create a business opportunity. The industry is created around the consumer, not the other way around

iRoN wrote:
    They've lost touch with the industry so they're just trying anything and everything to force sales.
    or they could be trying to change things up a bit in an industry that's become too stagnated and toxic? Both sides of the same coin

KrimzinZV wrote:
    But we all know it was going to go on PC and PS4 eventually unlike Bloodborne or any Nintendo game, I for one no longer really care about TR now.
    doesn't stop people saying they lost what would be sales on other systems, people are still adamant to this day that if nintendo went 3rd party their sales would be GTA level

Matt M wrote:
    I'm not in love with the guy or anything, but yeah, citation needed for all of that I'm afraid, or you're just propagating lies/half-truths. Not sure how you'll come close to proving the Square Enix thing in particular - that seems to just be pie in the sky conjecture on your part
    do i need a citation to say he has a rather healthy rivalry(?) with nintendo? they always seem to be at odds with each other

4. Post
    darc9999 wrote:
    do i need a citation to say he has a rather healthy rivalry(?) with nintendo? they always seem to be at odds with each other
    Haha! That's probably fair, although I haven't followed him closely enough to know to be honest. It could also just be that Nintendo has made some... interesting decisions this generation - he gives the company a lot of credit for the DS and Wii here (and also points out that the 3DS isn't a money-maker hardware-wise, something I didn't know).

He was calling for Iwata's resignation a few years back so I guess he's combative, but as above he is giving investor advice, and Ninty execs ended up taking a pay cut because the company was underperforming.

I feel like people dislike him because they presume he's making tons of money for saying stupid stuff, and while he might be doing the former, I don't see a tonne of the latter when I delve into his supposedly dumb statements.

As always, happy to be corrected on him though!

5. Post
    PS4 owners can suck my zick.

6. Post
    Britneys Spear wrote:
    PS4 owners can suck my zick.
    Who's alt is this

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Who's alt is this
    Eva's?

8. Post
    The problem with Pachter is not tat he gets things wrong because lets face any "analyst" trying to predict the future is going to get things wrong, its that he rubs gamers the wrong way because his predictions are so douche-bag like and his statements are so smug

http://www.reaxxion.com/2959/michael...is#prettyPhoto

9. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    The problem with Pachter is not tat he gets things wrong because lets face any "analyst" trying to predict the future is going to get things wrong, its that he rubs gamers the wrong way because his predictions are so douche-bag like and his statements are so smug

lmao ah ok get why he's a bit of a douche now.

10. Post
    Matt M wrote:
    Haha! That's probably fair, although I haven't followed him closely enough to know to be honest. It could also just be that Nintendo has made some... interesting decisions this generation - he gives the company a lot of credit for the DS and Wii here (and also points out that the 3DS isn't a money-maker hardware-wise, something I didn't know).

He was calling for Iwata's resignation a few years back so I guess he's combative, but as above he is giving investor advice, and Ninty execs ended up taking a pay cut because the company was underperforming.

I feel like people dislike him because they presume he's making tons of money for saying stupid stuff, and while he might be doing the former, I don't see a tonne of the latter when I delve into his supposedly dumb statements.

As always, happy to be corrected on him though!
    as weird as it sounds, and why i called it a rivalry is because nintendo is generally the main company that seems to go against normal logic and come through against conventional analysis and i dont think pachter hates them for that because it would probably make his job more interesting and varied. What a lot of people don't realise is that pachters statements about the initial wii concept were just echoed from the most vocal ones around because it wasn't traditional or conventional in a market full of tradition and convention

but yah, the 3DS took a real hit both at launch and when the price cut happened and IIRC it didnt start either breaking even or turning a slight profit until the 2nd or 3rd year on the market

11. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Who's alt is this
    This ain't a ALT profile. I was being a knob cause I wanted to I am going to play my PS4 now, later.

12. Post
    SirGrim wrote:

I think people really get pissy about the fact this guy gets paid (and probably quite well) to make these predictions on the market and host these soap boxes while having a fairly poor track record of good actual predictions. And it makes you wonder why he keeps his job. Mind you constantly calling NeoGAF users assholes probably doesn't help.

It's worth also going and looking back to his old series on GameTrailers before Spike sold them to Defy if people wanted to dig out more of his predictions and see how close they ever were... I honestly believe his success rate on his predictions is probably lower than the average person just taking a guess on what was going to happen anyway.

One of the big ones I remember from 2009 was his prediction that the then current console generation was going to be the last big generation because of peoples move to other gaming platforms like mobile -see http://www.wired.com/2009/06/pachter/

And then look here, last year saying the same thing again about THIS gen.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...r-going-to-get

If it doesn't happen again and the generation meets or exceeds the total number of units, no doubt he'll just change it again until sometime he gets it right on some generation and then probably go "look, I've been saying this was going to happen eventually for years"

13. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    No shit sherlock. When you restrict your games potential audience to the console with the least % of market share of course it wasnt going to do well. Tomb Raider isn't a console seller like halo. This deal was the dumbest thing square could have done for this franchise, They've probably killed their own franchise. I wont be surprised if they cancel the third game thats apparently in development.
    Silence child, don't even pretend that you have any idea about what you're talking about. Gamers love to play armchair CEOs over where have ZERO experience to do so.

Xev wrote:
    I admit, I'm a lot less interested than I would have been if it launched simultaneously on PC.
    That's just you. I've already pre-ordered Rise from Mighty Ape based on a couple factors:-
    1. It's already been heavily played and reviewed by others and consensus is good.
    2. I have strong confidence that PC port will be well above board. The port house has a nigh impeccable record, Nixxes.
    3. Based on my experience with TR2013, I know that I will get value for my money buying this particular game at launch, unlike Naughty Dog's 100% disposable railroad games.

I don't really give a shit when a game comes out. I own enough games to play to last me a lifetime, probably. I'll just play something else in the mean time.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 23rd January 2016 at 9:09 am.