1. Post
    Yeah I should knock he buying records on the head for the moment until I can get some better equipment, though in just ****ing around and looking at players I stumbled across the SONY PS-F5 - I don't care if its old - it looks awesome haha

Of course its impossible to find one now and if someone does list one for sale, it sells instantly for all of the money ever

2. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    Of all people it was ****ing Neil Young who wrote an article about it
    Be careful there, these days he wants to sell people his scammy Pono players and make people rebuy their music through the PonoMusic e-store.

Records are one thing, but cassettes are another. The new "in thing" with some hipsters is buying new albums pressed on cassette, DON'T fall into that trap! Cassette was an utter shit format like VHS and it was superseded for a reason.

3. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Be careful there, these days he wants to sell people his scammy Pono players and make people rebuy their music through the PonoMusic e-store.
    That I didn't know about, sounds like a proper inconvenience at best

EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Records are one thing, but cassettes are another. The new "in thing" with some hipsters is buying new albums pressed on cassette, DON'T fall into that trap! Cassette was an utter shit format like VHS and it was superseded for a reason.
    Yeah that's pretty daft, I have no real reason I can validate the records I'm buying personally, aside from wanting to support the artists (and even then its dubious if I'm actually doing that) but the larger artworks are awesome - and the effort some of them go to making them really special or making record only designs - the rest of the format is a quaint inconvenience you can live with - Cassettes lose the visual plus point from being so much smaller, and have genuine inconveniences like you mention, and the bloody things get eaten even in new players from what i have been told

4. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:

it's much cheaper for smaller bands to put out cassettes, which is why they are still being pressed.

5. Post
    Sweden is great btw.

6. Post
    ^ Glad you're enjoying it. Working out okay with "Swedish Metal Dude"?

You'll still be welcome around these parts, as long as you don't turn into a CK "Sweden is so much better than NZ!" arsehole.

7. Post
    Haha, oh CK. Yeah metal dude picked me up from the airport, booked a night at a hotel so we could explore Stockholm, we went to a Viking bar, hung out at someone's place, saw Tiamat (his friends wanted to go, but we nearly fell asleep) and now I'm back at his place while he's at work. He's a great guy. Sweden is also great but people keep speaking to me in Swedish and I feel really rude because I'm like uhhhhh what?

8. Post
    TECHNOVIKING wrote:
    booked a night at a hotel so we could explore Stockholm
    heyoooo!

9. Post
    johnny utah wrote:
    heyoooo!
    I had Swedish meatballs in my mouth!

Attached Images

10. Post
    took some photos of my shit

11. Post
    ^ Nice. What sort of table is that?

A lot of stuff in your collection, from what i can make out, that i'd totally dig; Jesus & Mary Chain, Converge, F**kedup, Red Fang, Jesus Lizard, Metallica's Kill 'Em All (so punk for a thrash album), Husker Du (big Bob Mould fan here), Kyuss .....

Anyway, i just bought this (my first vinyl purchase!);

To use on this;

Which now looks like this;

Aaaaaaand.....

I'm now in the cool club!! Wheeee!

Seriously though, the soundstage of this turntable is amazing, instantly went "WTF that sounds massive!!" had to check that my sub was actually off (i guess decent amp and speakers helps). So warm sounding too - i'm quite blown away.

In addition to the NIN which i bought, i also have 3 albums by The Police, a Van Morrison, a Crosby Still Nash & Young one (who i don't really groove on, which is just as well since it's scratched to hell), a Grover Washington Jr album, and a couple of Earl Klugh ones (whoever TF that is - some cheesy 70's/80's RnB jazz c**t i think), that i have from when i was given an old Pioneer turntable a few years ago (that was totally stuffed).

Going to raid my bro-in-law's collection tomorrow morning. Was really torn between the NIN one and the new Bowie, but i know the NIN one inside-out, so would give me a good idea of what sort of improvement i was hearing. Would like to go back and get the Bowie one, but i think my Minister of Finance (wife) would f**kin' kill me. We'll see if the bro-in-law's collection yields anything better than Bill Withers and David Gray works!

12. Post
    That's so awesome! Your whole setup as a whole looks amazing too

The good thing is that the Bowie album wont be going anywhere soon, there will still be copies on the shelves when you decide to get back to it, recently I've gotten into a bad habit I need to kick, of jumping on and even pre ordering some records, as the artist was doing a super limited run of 100 copies or something, there was one this week where there were 3 copies left, and I broke my "no more records till I have a new player" goal because I wanted it, and by the time I placed my order the other 2 were gone as well

It was a case of get it now for $50 shipped, or sit on Discogs.com for months waiting for one to pop up in average condition for $200, I didn't want to do that!

13. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Nice. What sort of table is that?
    Project something-arather. Yours is sexy as ****. No dust cover though? x_x

14. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    That's so awesome! Your whole setup as a whole looks amazing too

The good thing is that the Bowie album wont be going anywhere soon, there will still be copies on the shelves when you decide to get back to it
    It's come together quite nicely overall. Raided my bro-in-law's collection earlier - a lot of shit, but a few gems. Sadly it seems only a handful are in reasonable condition. Damn there's lots of surface noise on second-hand/pre-loved vinyl huh? Think i might just try and buy new wherever possible. Best way of cleaning older records?

The first album i i pulled out is the one on the top of this pile ..... all downhill after that really! Still, got some Talking Heads, Grace Jones, Split Enz, first Crowded House album, a 12" single of New Order's Blue Monday, couple of older Bowie albums;

Not bad for free

johnny utah wrote:
    Project something-arather. Yours is sexy as ****. No dust cover though? x_x
    Mine's the entry-level Project Elemental, i think you're is a model or two higher than mine. Nah, no dust cover, but i made one this afternoon from a sheet of perspex i had;

15. Post
    For cleaning I use a 5-10% aqueous isopropanol solution and a microfibre cloth, then dry with second cloth, works well

16. Post
    johnny utah wrote:
    For cleaning I use a 5-10% aqueous isopropanol solution and a microfibre cloth, then dry with second cloth, works well
    Yeah give those noisy records a wet clean, If they aren't actually scratched it will just be dust and should clean up well, that should remove all if not most of the noise clicks and pops you're hearing

17. Post
    So is that just a 1/9 mix of iso and water?

18. Post
    Yeah pretty much, For the one super dirty one I had to clean, I just used water and no iso at all, a damp microfibre cloth and then dried with another microfibre cloth - as I wasn't sure at the time if it was safe to use even Diluted iso, but just water on its own did the trick for me

19. Post
    If you can get distilled water that's even better

20. Post
    Cheers guys - just used water and cleaned then listened to Split Enz's True Colours and Bowie's Let's Dance. Yeah, i know it's his most commercial album, but man Let's Dance is incredibly well produced, just comes alive on vinyl (didn't know that Stevie Ray Vaughn played lead guitar and Nile Rodgers rhythm, or that Iggy Pop co-wrote China Girl).

And not a bad song on the Split Enz one - hasn't really dated at all, still sounds very fresh.

I think i've got the bug - might have to put an ad in the work Classifieds, see if any of the old buggers have any decent records. There's something kind of magical about listening to a whole album

21. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    There's something kind of magical about listening to a whole album
    and in the intended track order

22. Post
    Dude in work said "Yeah i've about 700 records in boxes in the garage - come have at it!", another chick was saying her husband has "thousands" and suggested i come have a nosey.

Looks like i'll be getting a collection going pretty quickly, lots of really fast responses from people.

23. Post
    That's the other thing about records, people are usually very proud of their collections and jump at the chance to show it off or have people look at it, never in a smug "look at me" kinda way, more of a "I love these and want others to see them also" - same goes for borrowing them, people are usually very happy to lend or temp trade with friends provided they can prove they will look after them, its all really cool

24. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Dude in work said "Yeah i've about 700 records in boxes in the garage - come have at it!", another chick was saying her husband has "thousands" and suggested i come have a nosey.

Looks like i'll be getting a collection going pretty quickly, lots of really fast responses from people.
    giz?

25. Post
    ^ Heh, no worries; will see what i can acquire.