Hot sauce

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Eating a hot chillie or sauce while initially unpleasant, it's quite a exhilarating experience, your senses feel on edge after

2. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    And this proves my point.
    Your entire point is an untrue racist/sexist assumption, what's to prove?

BRB off to whine in the admin forums about OD creeping into F&C.

3. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    Competitive eating is not what I was talking about. Obviously the hottest chilis in existence are required for something like that. I'm talking about eating for pleasure.

And this proves my point.
    The only point it proves is that you're a ****ing idiot

4. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Your entire point is an untrue racist/sexist assumption, what's to prove?

BRB off to whine in the admin forums about OD creeping into F&C.
    BRB off to buy a hot sauce I can't eat but it's so amazing man because of its inedibility :O

The only point it proves is that you're a ****ing idiot
    you are the dude bro of hot sauce, duh my shit is so hot man you won't feel your face. Applause.gif

5. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    BRB off to buy a hot sauce I can't eat but it's so amazing man because of its inedibility :O

you are the dude bro of hot sauce, duh my shit is so hot man you won't feel your face. Applause.gif
    You do realize that most people dont eat the extreme hotsauce neat right?They mix it into curries and other things to give it some heat,they just need to use less.There are also people who love it hot and like the endorphin rush you get with it.Your whole point is that hotsauce is to hot to enjoy.I am sure a great deal of your Mexican brethren would disagree.

6. Post
    Personally I use this, about the cheapest stuff money can buy haha

7. Post
    Swampy wrote:
    You do realize that most people dont eat the extreme hotsauce neat right?They mix it into curries and other things to give it some heat,they just need to use less.There are also people who love it hot and like the endorphin rush you get with it.Your whole point is that hotsauce is to hot to enjoy.I am sure a great deal of your Mexican brethren would disagree.
    Pretty much this. I don't eat hot food to prove a point I eat it because for some weird reason I really enjoy it. In saying that I was out for tacos last night and put some of the insanely hot Dragonfire sauce on one, I think I over did it a little.

8. Post
    Tormenta wrote:
    1. It was a pepper not a hotsauce.
    2. I was eating it as prep/test for a chilli eating comp, which you seem to think is something completely different from what you were whining about...."Competitive eating is not what I was talking about."
    3. If you're going to complain about ODish posts shitting up subforums, don't then go and shit up subforums with your own ODish(+racist+sexist) posts.

Swampy wrote:
    You do realize that most people dont eat the extreme hotsauce neat right?They mix it into curries and other things to give it some heat,they just need to use less.There are also people who love it hot and like the endorphin rush you get with it.
    I'm probably a mix of the two - sometimes I like just a little bit of heat, sometimes a lot, sometimes a full on face sweat curry is just perfect! One of my favourite curries of all time was actually a mild/sweet one. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place which made it, it was on the main street of Petone maybe three or so years ago, something with saffron and honey in it.

9. Post

10. Post
    I've been using Choclate Bhut's (hooked up kindly by Swampy ) in my cooking for ages now and Reapers, not just for sauces but for use in any recipe which requires something spicy (including Spicy Nachos, Fish stuffed with Prawns indian style).

I like the way the heat feels searing compared to normal chillies, gives you long lasting waves of goodness.

If you are going to use it in an omelette, you can drown out the heat a little with other ingredients.

11. Post
    Tormenta wrote:

does thinking you are Mexican give you some sort of weird King of Spicy Food complex?

12. Post
    Tried culleys habanero today, waaay too sweet. Tasted like someone just chucked a bunch of chillies in maple syrup and called it a day.

Will be sticking with my good old kaitaia fire.

13. Post
    So I got round to trying out kiwifruit hotsauce on the weekend. The following is an adaption of a tomato-based cola sauce I tried the previous weekend. The core ingredients for the sweet flavour are the kiwifruit and fennel. I'd have used fennel seeds but didn't have any at the time.

The sauce has a nice sharp heat & bite to it, it's reasonably strong and doesn't destroy the flavour of the reaper. I recommend you make it in a well-ventilated area. Open windows, extractor fan etc.

BVC's kiwi reaper sauce

Ingredients:
    2.5kg kiwifruit (unpeeled)
    3 large onions, diced.
    1 can tomatoes, unflavoured (don't ask me why I put this in, it was on impulse)
    1.5 cups vinegar (I used apple cider)
    1tsp ground coriander
    1tsp sweet paprika
    1tsp smoked paprika
    1tsp ground fennel
    1tsp cayenne powder
    6 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1.5 cups sugar
    5x carolina reapers (cheers again Swampy!)
    1 cup water

Method
    1. Peel and dice your kiwifruit.
    2. Mix all ingredients together in a stock pot.
    3. Bring to the boil
    4. Simmer/reduce for about an hour
    5. Blend it. I prefer a stick blender for this.
    6. Store it in sterilised jars. Let them cool for a bit before sticking them in the fridge.

If you didn't want to make it too hot you could ditch some of the reapers, or substitute with something like habaneros or whatever you have handy.

I got 1-1.25L of sauce out of this.
    Last edited by Blue Vein CHEESE; 10th May 2016 at 5:43 pm.

14. Post
    Bit of a bump, Culleys chipotle sauce is amazing.

I also found this stuff recently at my local Pak'n'Save and it has awesome spiciness/flavour and is pretty cheap!

And another Also, Culleys are currently selling their 'Love Potion' (XXXHOT Mango & Bhut Jolokia) for 1 cent!
    http://culleys.co.nz/product/culleys-love-potion/

15. Post
    Been using Frank's extra hot sauce which I'll be getting more of today to make hot wing sauce. Really enjoyable flavour with none of the overwhelming spiciness, it's just right imo

16. Post
    -HB wrote:
    Bit of a bump, Culleys chipotle sauce is amazing.
    I'm on my 5th bottle of this. It's amazing.

17. Post
    i.e.awesome wrote:
    Been using Frank's extra hot sauce which I'll be getting more of today to make hot wing sauce. Really enjoyable flavour with none of the overwhelming spiciness, it's just right imo
    That just ****s me off on principle. The sauce claims to be extra hot but in reality is mild. Thanks I won't buy that shit

18. Post
    swazi wrote:
    That just ****s me off on principle. The sauce claims to be extra hot but in reality is mild. Thanks I won't buy that shit
    Different strokes. I value good flavour above level of heat

19. Post
    Not sure if they still stock it, but I used to get the 'Bhuty Black Taniwha' sauce from firedragon chillies. Good heat, and amazing flavour.
    Enjoyed most of the Culleys sauces I tried too (there was one really sweet one that didn't go down well).

20. Post
    Not specifically hot sauce, but Culley's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce is amazing.

21. Post
    Bought some of that $0.01 Culleys Love Potion, its a slow heat creeper, but pretty decent flavour.

22. Post
    swazi wrote:
    Bought some of that $0.01 Culleys Love Potion, its a slow heat creeper, but pretty decent flavour.
    It's tasty aye!

23. Post
    Been watching Hot Ones on Youtube, where this guy interviews celebrities while they eat increasingly hot chicken wings. Quite interesting. Usually their hottest sauce is one called Mega Death but we found one of the same label called Ultra Death which is waaay hotter. We bought it as a gift though, I'm much too chicken to try it.

24. Post
    I love that show.

Of course there are other hotter sauces than Blair's Mega Death Sauce, but that's the one that the Hot Ones crew chose.

Also now they have an even hotter sauce as the final challenge, called The Last Dab.

It seems to me that most people struggle with Da Bomb.

25. Post
    It's not really what I'd call a "hot" sauce, but has anyone tried the Lee Kum Kee Guilin-style chilli sauce?

That stuff is damned tasty! I've been looking for another brand or similar style of chilli sauce but have come up blank so far. Does anyone know where I could get similar in chch?