Results 576 to 600 of 797

  1. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Seems to me that people are overthinking this movie waaaaaay too much.
    Challenge accepted.

    How did Finn drag the limp body of his new Asian girlfriend across the vast emptiness of that plateau in front of a dozen walkers without any of them shooting him, because Ken doesn't tell them to stop firing until Luke appears and they had nothing else to shoot at so you'd think at least one of them would have taken a cheap shot at a defenseless enemy standing right in front of them. Are they just not really that evil? Have we been tricked into thinking they're all bad guys?

    Also, how did he do it so quickly? It took forever for those ships to fly pretty much in a straight line towards the gun but only minutes for him to walk back across what looked like a distance of at least 2000 to 3000 meters dragging a body.

    Also, how did his Asian girlfriend catch up to his ship to push it out of the way in the first place when he was travelling in a straight line the entire time but she slowed down and started to turn when Poe gave the order to retreat? Did Finn not have the pedal to the metal?

    Also, why have those things dragging on the ground under the ship when at the end Finn just raises his and flies it like a normal ship? Was it just so they could leave red lines in the salt?

    Also, if you had an open blister on your foot and you walked barefoot across that surface how much would it hurt?

  2. Post
    If you rock up to to a cinema and ask for a ticket to a movie called "Star Wars: Episode whatever" , I think you have to be prepared to engage in the suspension of disbelief for at least a couple of hours.
    Every movie can be nitpicked to death, even ESB - anyone remember the giant space slug that the Falcon landed inside of, and then the crew got out and walked around in, while it's mouth was still open???

  3. Post
    From an LA Times interview with Rian Johnson

    About the Leia force power scene
    The most infamous moment is Carrie Fisher’s Princess Leia, seemingly dead in space, using the Force to fly back onto the ship:

    “That was something Kathy [Kennedy] was always asking: Why has this never manifested in Leia? She obviously made a choice, because in “Return of the Jedi” Luke tells her, “You have that power too.” I liked the idea that it’s not Luke concentrating, reaching for the lightsaber; it’s an instinctual survival thing, like when you hear stories of a parent whose toddler is caught under a car and they get superhuman strength, or a drowning person clawing their way to the surface. It’s basically just her not being done with the fight yet. I wanted it to happen [for Carrie] and I knew it was going to be a stretch. It’s a big moment, and I’m sure it will land different ways for different people, but for me it felt like a really emotionally satisfying thing to see.”

    Then on new force powers
    “The truth is, because “Star Wars” until “The Force Awakens” has been set in amber and we hadn’t had a new “Star Wars” movie in ten years, you forget that they were introducing new Force stuff with each movie, based on the requirements of the story. Force-grabbing didn’t come around until “Empire,” it wasn’t in “A New Hope.” Same with Force ghosts. They’d introduce new ideas of what could happen with the Force each time.”
    Not really, I can only think of 2 new force powers in the 5 movies between Empire and Last Jedi, and one of them I don't think could even be considered a new one, the first is the Emperor shooting stuff from his hands, which we saw again with Yoda and Dookie in Clone Wars, second was when Qui Gon made Jar Jar sleep on the boat thing, but I always thought that power was tied to the whole Jedi mind trick thing that Kenobi first used in New Hope. Don't think there's any others are there? They didn't exactly introduce new force powers that were major plot points with each new movie did they?

  4. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    How did Finn drag the limp body of his new Asian girlfriend across the vast emptiness of that plateau in front of a dozen walkers without any of them shooting him, because Ken doesn't tell them to stop firing until Luke appears and they had nothing else to shoot at so you'd think at least one of them would have taken a cheap shot at a defenseless enemy standing right in front of them. Are they just not really that evil? Have we been tricked into thinking they're all bad guys?

    Also, how did he do it so quickly? It took forever for those ships to fly pretty much in a straight line towards the gun but only minutes for him to walk back across what looked like a distance of at least 2000 to 3000 meters dragging a body.
    Aside from the fact they're all distracted by Luke and Ren, the fact of the matter there is time inbetween them blasting open the doors, Luke's apperance, him walking out, being fired on, Ren dropping down, and them fighting that covers a lot of time. Additionally film, and not just Star Wars, allow cuts that can speed time skipping parts... for example there isn't a lot of time shown between when the First Order fires the cannon from a long distance yet by the time Luke emerges they're much closer to the door than before. If movie editing logic allows that to happen during Luke's apperance then the same can apply to Finn/Rose getting closer and hoping for a distraction to try get in.

    Also, how did his Asian girlfriend catch up to his ship to push it out of the way in the first place when he was travelling in a straight line the entire time but she slowed down and started to turn when Poe gave the order to retreat? Did Finn not have the pedal to the metal?
    This is a fair complaint but it falls into the same movie logic as the previous Ewoks issue. It needed to happen for the plot, thus it just did. If you saw in the previous shot one of the speeders peeling off sideways it would maybe explain it, but I looked the second time I saw this and they don't. So fair enough.

    Also, why have those things dragging on the ground under the ship when at the end Finn just raises his and flies it like a normal ship? Was it just so they could leave red lines in the salt?
    He doesn't raise it. The blast wave exterior of the canons fire moves it and then rips it off, as well as some of the parts of the ship. It also seems like it kinda pulls the ship inward or holds in at a certain height due to the energy wave surrounding it because the whole thing lifts off the ground higher than it was previously the closer it gets. Finn just seems lucky it doesn't push him right up into the blast wave before he gets closer trying to crash into it ala. Casse-Kamikaze style.

    Also, if you had an open blister on your foot and you walked barefoot across that surface how much would it hurt?
    Probably a lot one would think. But that applies to the actual Salt flats in places on Earth doesn't it?

  5. Post
    I think the problem with continually introducing new force powers is that in the original trilogy, those "new" force powers were the result of Luke developing and honing his skills over time. He was a noob who used the force to augment his torpedo skills. Then he learnt how to summon his lightsaber with his mind, then move rocks, then an x-wing, etc etc. The ability to use the Force was a craft requiring a decent amount of time.

    Now the force literally can do anything, by people who haven't had to develop their abilities.
    It's value is debased. This film tries to get around it by Luke declaring Jedi shouldn't have an exclusive right to the Force, because it is everywhere. Which is totally ignorant of the point of the Jedi, they were a response to the force existing and someone realising it needs to be wielded carefully and for the right reasons, rather than haphazardly.

    It's not the plot holes that are the problem, it's the inconsistency and lack of boundaries of this universe now. Everything is meaningless so it's harder to have any emotional stake in things, it's just flashing lights and bodacious set pieces.
    Last edited by bradc; 22nd December 2017 at 6:06 am.

  6. Post
    as Bradc said, it is fine if you are gonna use brand new faces doing something new, cos.. ok fair enough , we can stretch that. Hence Kylo stopping a plasma bolt in mid air, ok cool we liked that. Leia magically developing something she never demonstrated? No. That does not make things better. It is why i despised Mary Sue Rey. I suppose that is why Disney wants i guess to sell more stuff, make things more banal and accessible..

  7. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    as Bradc said, it is fine if you are gonna use brand new faces doing something new, cos.. ok fair enough , we can stretch that. Hence Kylo stopping a plasma bolt in mid air, ok cool we liked that. Leia magically developing something she never demonstrated? No. That does not make things better. It is why i despised Mary Sue Rey. I suppose that is why Disney wants i guess to sell more stuff, make things more banal and accessible..
    Yeah. It was more like - lets just show some new stuff for the sake of showing it. There was no real rhyme or reason for it. classic case being superman Leia. It was the same with much of the cgi, and all that slapstick shit with robots farting out coins on the casino planet.

    Are we forgetting that pathetic scene were BB8 drove the AT-ST? As they laugh about in the Red Letter review - they removed the top of the ATST just so we could see that robot driving it.

  8. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    Are we forgetting that pathetic scene were BB8 drove the AT-ST? As they laugh about in the Red Letter review - they removed the top of the ATST just so we could see that robot driving it.
    I wish I could forget that.

  9. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    as Bradc said, it is fine if you are gonna use brand new faces doing something new, cos.. ok fair enough , we can stretch that. Hence Kylo stopping a plasma bolt in mid air, ok cool we liked that. Leia magically developing something she never demonstrated? No. That does not make things better. It is why i despised Mary Sue Rey. I suppose that is why Disney wants i guess to sell more stuff, make things more banal and accessible..
    New force powers being introduced are not a new thing.

    You have to remember that in Empire Luke, apart from moving stuff with his mind, also gained the ability to see into the future and use telepathy.

    The seeing into the future thing where he saw Han and Leia in Cloud City was nothing more than a plot device to get Luke to Cloud City, just like the Ren and Rey force dreaming thing was nothing more than a plot device to get Rey to go to Ren.

    The new powers by Leia needed an explanation, just one line from C3-P0 saying "all the training with Master Luke saved her life" and that scene immediately seems a lot less of a wtf moment, still silly, but less so. You have to remember that Luke was done and dusted, hanging off an antenna about to fall to his death at any moment at the end of Empire when he pulled a never before seen force power out of the bag to contact Leia for help, so it's not new for the saga to introduce new force powers as the plot needs them.

    In Empire the new force powers did feel like they were introduced more organically and they felt nowhere near as obtrusive as the ones introduced in Last Jedi did, but then again I was only 7 or 8 when that film was released and my nostalgia probably overrides any chance of me being truly objective about it.
    Last edited by GiantMartianTripod; 22nd December 2017 at 3:27 pm.

  10. Post
    Need to watch it again, by myself and at home before I make any informed decisions....the theatre just doesn't do it for me anymore.

  11. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    In Empire the new force powers did feel like they were introduced more organically and they felt nowhere near as obtrusive as the ones introduced in Last Jedi did, but then again I was only 7 or 8 when that film was released and my nostalgia probably overrides any chance of me being truly objective about it.
    You raise some good points. I have more issue with the force projection power just being a lame way to end the movie - not the fact they introduced it as a thing. Someone was obviously thinking way too much about force powers and not enough about plots.

  12. Post
    IST wrote:
    Need to watch it again, by myself and at home before I make any informed decisions....the theatre just doesn't do it for me anymore.

    Yeah I'm starting to feel that way now too. With big cheap home screens and decent stereo systems the experience is hard to beat at home. You can spread out, take a shit half way through. Beers. You can lose a bit of the visual majesty but that is about it.

  13. Post
    I'll probably be called a Star Wars noob for asking this but why is Empire commonly regarded as the best SW movie?

    To me RotJ is the ultimate SW movie. It has alot of epic moments & awesome action and story that wraps everything up perfectly. The stuff on Tatooine was awesome when Luke killed the Rancor, the Sarlaac pit stuff & Leia killing Jabba. Then you have Yoda dying which brought dem feels. Then you have have the best space battle during The Battle of Endor and the stuff on the surface was awesome too. Then you have the most epic fight of the whole franchise between Luke & Vader. So may epic memorable moments.

    Obviously the main gripe everyone has are the Ewoks but they never really bothered me. I was a kid when I first watched it & I loved the Ewoks at the time and although its ridiculous they could take on the Empire with sticks and stones they never really detracted from the movie for me.

    Empire on the other hand had an awesome story & I liked the darker tone but apart from the Battle of Hoth and the Luke Vader fight it never reached the epic heights of RotJ imo

  14. Post
    silvereye wrote:
    Yeah I'm starting to feel that way now too. With big cheap home screens and decent stereo systems the experience is hard to beat at home. You can spread out, take a shit half way through. Beers. You can lose a bit of the visual majesty but that is about it.
    Many theatre's now will let you have a beer. I'm sure if you wanted to you could take a shit too. Might make everyone around you a bit uncomfortable though.

  15. Post
    That wasn't a good movie. Snoke? The ****. luke? The ****. No.

  16. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I'll probably be called a Star Wars noob for asking this but why is Empire commonly regarded as the best SW movie?

    To me RotJ is the ultimate SW movie. It has alot of epic moments & awesome action and story that wraps everything up perfectly. The stuff on Tatooine was awesome when Luke killed the Rancor, the Sarlaac pit stuff & Leia killing Jabba. Then you have Yoda dying which brought dem feels. Then you have have the best space battle during The Battle of Endor and the stuff on the surface was awesome too. Then you have the most epic fight of the whole franchise between Luke & Vader. So may epic memorable moments.

    Obviously the main gripe everyone has are the Ewoks but they never really bothered me. I was a kid when I first watched it & I loved the Ewoks at the time and although its ridiculous they could take on the Empire with sticks and stones they never really detracted from the movie for me.

    Empire on the other hand had an awesome story & I liked the darker tone but apart from the Battle of Hoth and the Luke Vader fight it never reached the epic heights of RotJ imo
    So many reasons. For me it's the tone, it somehow manages to be the darkest movie of the saga with some truly scary imagery and moments while also being the funniest and wittiest, and the 2 conflicting tones never detract from each other. It's just so well written, the interaction between Han & Leia alone in this movie makes it my favorite of the series. Plus it has just the right mix of action, the Hoth battle, the Star Destroyers and asteroid chase and then Luke facing Vader on Cloud City while everyone else is fighting to escape, the action is just perfect, it never seems too over the top like it tended to get as the series progressed. And the revelations, finding out with Luke that Vader is his dad, Han & Leia and the "I love you" "I know" scene, finding out that Jedi could be little green space gnomes. Plus the way it ended, our heroes had lost, Luke was beaten both physically by losing a hand and emotionally by finding out his dad was the evilest prick in the galaxy, Han is gone God knows where and at the time we never knew if we'd see him again, the Rebels had lost their base, everything was looking bad, but the film still left you with a feeling of hope, which is because of the writing.

    Return of the Jedi had its moments, the space battle at the end is probably still my favorite out of any Star Wars movie, and the Luke Vader fight again was full of emotion just like Empire, more emotion than anything that the prequels had, but there were things I didn't like. I didn't like the slapstick comedy that crept into ROTJ (a sign of things to come in the prequels), I thought the writing wasn't as sharp as Empire, I didn't like the Ewoks at all. I still like ROTJ, it's my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie so it's hard to find reasons why I enjoy it less than Empire, but I just do.

    Plus Empire has this scene

    which set up Fett as this super bad ass seeing as Vader singled him out in a room full of the galaxys most infamous bounty hunters, which instantly made him a fan favorite. Then he gets killed in ROTJ by slapstick comedy........ Captain Phasma anyone?

  17. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    New force powers being introduced are not a new thing.

    You have to remember that in Empire Luke, apart from moving stuff with his mind, also gained the ability to see into the future and use telepathy.
    .
    Yoda had it, the emperor with his grand speech about forseeing etc had that, Telepathy was used by Obiwan and QinGon etc. Telepathy was more a bond between those close to each other by blood or by fate, Again i got no problems with the introduction of new force powers. You just needed to introduce it in a narrative consistent manner. If they showed Luke giving Leia instruction and you know saying stuff like you can do this, just feel the force etc.

    hell i would say cool, Leia will / might eventually show something new. That's okie dokie . Rey otoh.. oh boy she is just.. it is just like how so many hated the idea of poor Jake Lloyd who was unfairly thrashed for his part where he as a child with no fighter pilot experience flew in, rektd the Main Battle Control station of the droid fleet and flew out . That was no JL fault, that was clunky and bad writing. And both Hamill, and later Lucas said so ( George even went as far to admit, this was in hindsight a really bad narrative story telling ). We know it is bad and yet they went ahead and did it anyway cos.. you know **** you star wars fanbois we are writing this and **** your lore and **** you cos this is 2017,

  18. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    Yoda had it, the emperor with his grand speech about forseeing etc had that, Telepathy was used by Obiwan and QinGon etc. Telepathy was more a bond between those close to each other by blood or by fate, Again i got no problems with the introduction of new force powers. You just needed to introduce it in a narrative consistent manner.
    Huh? Sorry I don't understand your comment. You realize that none of the events that you're talking about had happened when Empire was released? So how could they help to introduce these powers? Luke was the first character in a Star Wars movie to use these powers. Actually, what movie are you talking about where Kenobi and Qui Gon used telepathy, because I remember them always using communicators. Remember we're talking about the stuff that happens in the movies here, not the books or comics or games or anything else, just the movies by themselves. You shouldn't have to read a book to make the things that happen in a movie make sense.

  19. Post
    We hear the emperor talking about how he has forseen things etc, so that is your future sight if you can call it that. Visions etc all happen to the force sensitive. Even Obiwan when he was teaching Luke already had an idea of the future being given visions and even hinting that he knew his path was near the end. Telepathy only came about between the 2 twins, Luke and Leia, not a inconceivable idea given the narrative that both Luke and Leia were twins. The only other person was Kylo. Checking out wiki, Telepathy was rare but existed in the Star Wars universe. So in all these cases, we were given a reason or a hint of why and how this could happen, within the narrative given. Also before you even go yeah but LUKE, he just said Leia help me, it was not that they could have conversations. I am not sure why we are arguing over this point because you seem to be defending Rey the Mary Sue character.

    Luke just telepathic to say Han would have given most star wars fans pause. And watch Epi1 again, ObiWan and QGJ had an emphatic bond as master and padawen , not say Telepathic per say but again, only Luke and Leia had that and they were twins. And it pretty much happened only ONCE ( not in RDTJ either )

  20. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    We hear the emperor talking about how he has forseen things etc, so that is your future sight if you can call it that. Visions etc all happen to the force sensitive. Even Obiwan when he was teaching Luke already had an idea of the future being given visions and even hinting that he knew his path was near the end. Telepathy only came about between the 2 twins, Luke and Leia, not a inconceivable idea given the narrative that both Luke and Leia were twins. The only other person was Kylo. Checking out wiki, Telepathy was rare but existed in the Star Wars universe. So in all these cases, we were given a reason or a hint of why and how this could happen, within the narrative given. Also before you even go yeah but LUKE, he just said Leia help me, it was not that they could have conversations. I am not sure why we are arguing over this point because you seem to be defending Rey the Mary Sue character.

    Luke just telepathic to say Han would have given most star wars fans pause. And watch Epi1 again, ObiWan and QGJ had an emphatic bond as master and padawen , not say Telepathic per say but again, only Luke and Leia had that and they were twins. And it pretty much happened only ONCE ( not in RDTJ either )
    You're talking about stuff that happens AFTER Empire, the emperor talks about foreseeing things in Jedi, not Empire, in Empire he actually asks Vader if he thinks Luke can be turned. As for Kenobi in New Hope, a feeling of foreboding and actually having visions of the future are 2 completely different things. You're talking about stuff like Luke and Leia being twins so the telepathy is ok, but in Empire none of us knew they were siblings. We didn't find out until Jedi that Leia was Lukes sister. Do you understand? You say "So in all these cases, we were given a reason or a hint of why and how this could happen, within the narrative given." when we weren't, because what you talk about happened after the fact, get it?

    And sorry I don't even know what an emphatic bond is, a Google search returned no results for that word to do with Kenobi and Qui Gon and it's not mentioned anywhere in the Phantom Menace script. Anyway, that movie happened TWO DECADES after Empire, so how is it relevant to anything?

    I was talking about 1980 sitting down to watch The Empire Strikes back, there was no ROTJ, no prequels, no wiki, no extended universe, only that movie and the one that came before it, and just like some of the powers in Last Jedi some of the powers in Empire were not explained at all and people didn't lose their shit about it. Geez......

  21. Post

    Edit - someones done a copyright claim on the vid, but here's a transcript of what Hamill said

    “I said to Rian, ‘Jedi’s don’t give up.’ I mean, even if he had a problem, he would maybe take a year to try and regroup. But if he made a mistake, he would try and right that wrong. So, right there we had a fundamental difference, but it’s not my story anymore. It’s somebody else’s story – and Rian needed me to be a certain way to make the ending effective.

    …That’s the crux of my problem. Luke would never say that. I’m sorry. Well, in this version, see I’m talking about the George Lucas Star Wars. This is the next generation of Star Wars, so I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he’s Jake Skywalker. He’s not my Luke Skywalker, but I had to do what Rian wanted me to do because it serves the story well.

    But listen, I still haven’t accepted it completely. But it’s only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don’t get upset, and I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they need for this job.”
    Last edited by GiantMartianTripod; 23rd December 2017 at 9:50 am.

  22. Post
    I watched this last weekend, i thought it was alright.

  23. Post
    Never seen any of the star wars. This holiday might be a good time to start the marathon!

  24. Post
    FailedDriver wrote:
    Never seen any of the star wars. This holiday might be a good time to start the marathon!
    Seeing it's the holidays you should start with watching The Star Wars Holiday Special first.

  25. Post
    FailedDriver wrote:
    Never seen any of the star wars. This holiday might be a good time to start the marathon!
    Look up "Machete order", and let us know if that works for you