1. Post

Posts in this thread appear as comments on the following Gameplanet article:

Read article...

2. Post
    Let's see how long that will last. I hope their episodic sales decrease dramatically because of this, that's if everyone waits for the complete game instead of purchasing episode by episode.

3. Post
    and they still avoid saying WHY they need to do this. there's no benefit. the only reason is so they can bail on a poor seller after only finishing a small portion of it.

I can also foresee bullshit like pre-order "bonus" episode or platform specific or any other method of dubious method of witholding content that the player has already paid for.

4. Post
    JRS wrote:
    and they still avoid saying WHY they need to do this. there's no benefit. the only reason is so they can bail on a poor seller after only finishing a small portion of it.

I can also foresee bullshit like pre-order "bonus" episode or platform specific or any other method of dubious method of witholding content that the player has already paid for.
    Its a baiting tool

Player X canot afford $60 today because he is bad at cash flow management, so Dev Y released Game A episode 1 for $20 instead. Player X can now afford to buy Game A episode 1 and in 2 months when episode 2 is relased Player X can again spend $20

Essentially games are too damn expensive, if you split them up you can pickup sales.

In addition to being a tool to bait sales, it also make gamers more sticky, so when you later find out they plan to release another 3 episodes at $20 each, you feel cheated because a full game would have only cost $60 but now you are coughing up $80+, but at this point you have become invested in the game's story and want to see the end, so you sigh and take out your wallet again

5. Post
    If the Game of Thrones episodic release of their game is anything to go by I really do not like games being released in this episodic fashion... I lost interest in GoT by the time the 3rd episode was released and never went back to it, I couldn't remember what choices I'd made, what had happened etc - it was just plain dumb. If we must have this crappy method of release I hope Hitman does a better job of it.... I won't hold my breath!

6. Post
    gtstcactus wrote:
    If the Game of Thrones episodic release of their game is anything to go by I really do not like games being released in this episodic fashion... I lost interest in GoT by the time the 3rd episode was released and never went back to it, I couldn't remember what choices I'd made, what had happened etc - it was just plain dumb. If we must have this crappy method of release I hope Hitman does a better job of it.... I won't hold my breath!
    I'd say that's more down to Game of Thrones's weaknesses as a game instead of specifically the episodic format though. For interesting, well written, story driven games (Life is Strange and many of Telltale's other recent titles), the format has worked.

I don't really see the same being true for Hitman though, which has always been a much more gameplay driven title.

7. Post
    no way am i supporting this kind of business model, i can wait till the full game is released till i purchase it...AND if they decide to force players into buying each one with needed DLCs..well there are other ways to get the full game with everything included...