Red Dead Redemption 2

Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
(13 votes)
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2202

1. Post
    GiantMartianTripod wrote:
    Game looks good and the writing is well done, but good God the missions are not fun at all, it's like playing a game with an overbearing wife "follow this, stand here, use this, move there, do this, go there, stand there, you didn't move there fast enough! FAILED! You didn't follow the yellow line! FAILED! You went back to get weapons off your horse instead of moving to the yellow area! FAILED! You tried moving to a flanking position! FAILED!" F**K just let me have fun. I don't think I've ever played a game where missions are so strictly structured that any deviation by the player will result in a game over fail screen. I want to finish the story but it's becoming a real slog.
    Agreed. The missions are so heavily scripted & linear like a lot of them in GTAV. Long gone are the days where random unpredictable shit would occur during missions like the 1st RDR and earlier GTA games. The lack of freedom in what is supposed to be an open world game is pretty bad. The missions were probably my least favourite thing about this game other than the controls.

2. Post
    Never have that issue. Maybe just not good at gaming?

3. Post
    Its nothing to do with skill. If you compare the missions in this game to San Andreas or Vice City for example they are very scripted & linear.

4. Post
    Linear is right. I started this immediately after finishing AC Odyssey and going from a game that let you tackle missions any way you wanted to a game that only lets you do them the way devs want you to do them is kind of jarring, especially when the open world allows experimentation but the missions don't allow any at all. I can accept it in a game like Uncharted but expected more in an open world Rockstar game.
    Lol... ac oddyssey..lol lol lol

You mean the game where the "side missions" are pretty much compulsary or you are underlevelled?
    The same game where the horse control feels so hoorendous that makes people want to fast travel every 2 min?

The mission design and gameplay on RDR 2 is next level greatness.

There is more freedom than ever before.

Let me guess, you like poorly designed checklist open worlds like assasin creed and horizon zero dawn ( decent game, awful open world) over natural organic, fun open worlds like RDR 2

5. Post
    RDR2 I felt had great storytelling but the gameplay was nothing new.

6. Post
    Usergame wrote:

The mission design and gameplay on RDR 2 is next level greatness.

There is more freedom than ever before.
    Not sure if serious?? Having to ride at least 5 minutes to the first checkpoint of almost every mission which almost always ends in a inevitable shootout is great mission design?

Name one mission where you have the choice to either go in guns blazing or use stealth? You have to play the mission out how R* wants you to play, not how you want to play it. As soon as you deviate from their predetermined formula you instantly fail.

7. Post
    As above. There is no freedom in the missions themselves and very limited freedom in what order you can tackle them in.

8. Post
    Next level greatness? Let those fanboy colors fly kiddo! Jesus Christ if you think the structure of missions in RDR2 is next level greatness then you've obviously never played a Witcher or Elder Scrolls or Fallout game. The narrative and storytelling in RDR2 is great, but in my opinion the actual gameplay when it comes to story missions isn't, they mostly all follow the same pattern and are all overly scripted. Christ I even did a story/side mission where I went fishing and the game told me the exact spot where I had to stand on the shores of a lake before it would let me cast, maybe that's fun to you, maybe you like having your hand held during missions and told exactly what to do instead of thinking for yourself, I don't really enjoy that and definitely wouldn't class it as "gameplay greatness".

If you've got the time and think you're mature enough to handle criticism and observations about the game that may not be in line with your own thinking then have a watch of this, it's full of what I think are very objective observations by a long time Rockstar fan

Not sure if serious.. because RDR2 missions absolutely blow those games mission design out the water.
    The riding to places is actually fun instead of what feels like riding a toy horse in the witcher 3 and assasin creed. So many epic missions in RDR 2, there was not a single mission in witcher 3 or ac origins that made me go "wow".

Each to their own I guess, I feel RDR 2 is the evolution of great open world design. The most incredible thing is that the single player game is fun even after there are no missions left to play.

Also lol at "time and mature enough to handle criticism", lol watched that video and I dont agree at all. I didn't see any of what he mentioned as problems.
    For me both the story and gameplay was 20/10 on RDR 2.

9. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    Not sure if serious.. because RDR2 missions absolutely blow those games mission design out the water.
    The riding to places is actually fun instead of what feels like riding a toy horse in the witcher 3 and assasin creed. So many epic missions in RDR 2, there was not a single mission in witcher 3 or ac origins that made me go "wow".

Each to their own I guess, I feel RDR 2 is the evolution of great open world design. The most incredible thing is that the single player game is fun even after there are no missions left to play.

Also lol at "time and mature enough to handle criticism", lol watched that video and I dont agree at all. I didn't see any of what he mentioned as problems.
    For me both the story and gameplay was 20/10 on RDR 2.
    You watched the 30+ minute video in 20 minutes? Ok so you're trolling that explains all the idiotic statements. I'll know to ignore you from now on.

10. Post
    The gameplay glitched out on me from time to time and it actually had some pretty annoying aspects with the guns you were using suddenly being transported to the horse. I wouldn't call it an perfect game but the story was pretty cool.

11. Post
    Usergame wrote:
    So my thoughts are out there. I love RDR2. It's strengths are in the writing and the world not the mission structure nor its game mechanics. There is nothing new, next level, or innovative about any of them. Not a thing. Now in this case I don't really care its how the story is told and the arcs the characters take that kept me involved in the game, but the missions are stale and they follow the same formula as any RS game since GTA3.
    The ONLY thing that RDR2 does that could be called innovative is actually a step back to older titles and that is in how the open world is presented. That was the sole innovation in the game. Anyone claiming that RDR2 the evolved beyond that is letting their enjoyment and appreciation of the experience colour the assessment of its individual elements.

The story is great (apart from the dire opening), but the gameplay is functional, which is all it needs to be but it certainly does not deserve to be called out as anything other than functional.

I would also ask that if you're going to respond to something someone has posted at least give them enough respect to view it for yourself. You've not done that here. If you are unwilling to take in new information or at least take on board another perspective you really don't have much of a counter-argument because you've not understood what that argument is.

Games are made up of a lot of different moving parts. Not all or even most of them have to be great for the game to be great. The heavy lifting in RDR2 is the exceptional world building and it carries a lot of dead weight. Not as much as Assassins Creed which even after attempting to innovate and evolve is still the same base core loop as the first game. Which is fine because the last two AC games have been ****ing fantastic. Again, they've been carried by story and ancillary game systems/mechanics which makes the stale elements taste much less so.

12. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    The gameplay glitched out on me from time to time and it actually had some pretty annoying aspects with the guns you were using suddenly being transported to the horse. I wouldn't call it an perfect game but the story was pretty cool.
    Are you talking about during an actual mission or when you got on your horse you had them equipped but when you got off they weren't? Because that happens to me all the time, failed a couple of early missions from going back to my horse to reequip weapons that had disappeared and the game not liking it.

13. Post
    Are you talking about during an actual mission or when you got on your horse you had them equipped but when you got off they weren't? Because that happens to me all the time, failed a couple of early missions from going back to my horse to reequip weapons that had disappeared and the game not liking it.
    When ya got on your horse and you had them equipped but when ya get off they disappear. It got pretty annoying pretty fast.

14. Post
    Another negative for me when it comes to the missions is a lot of them start with Dutch saying "We need more money" even though the gang pulled off a good score in the previous mission. Where the hell did all the money go? I mean he's not spending the money on the camp. You have to use your own money for that lol.

Also you get a big score pretty early on which means you don't really have to worry about getting money for the rest of the game. This is pretty bad for a game where you're supposed to be an outlaw struggling to get money. I never felt any incentive or need to rob stores etc.

WarZoner wrote:
    When ya got on your horse and you had them equipped but when ya get off they disappear. It got pretty annoying pretty fast.
    Yeah I ****en hated that

15. Post
    The RDR2 honeymoon period ended pretty quick I must say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

16. Post
    GrandpaSimpson.gif

17. Post
    IST wrote:
    The RDR2 honeymoon period ended pretty quick I must say.

Dont read too much into it. The game is great. It has issues but the I think most of us are far too old for the "I like it therefore it must be perfect" mindset. Being critical of aspects of anything does not mean it's not appreciated for what it is.

I think your statement is a little off the mark.

18. Post
    I'm on the agreement that I enjoy the open world gameplay more than the story mission gameplay, and I say this even while griding out the side quests because I have fun in the environment. I racked up more than $2500 in bounties and found out the hard way they send a small army and numerous dogs after you.... and had more fun avoiding those groups in shootouts than I did in a lot of the missions.

RDR2 works like GTA4/5 especially a lot I feel; you get a handful of really tight awesome missions worth playing padded out by dozens of very similar repeat missions with limited options. It's worth noting the insulting attempt at replayability for ranking 'medals' on those missions now requires you to meet all requirements in one go as well, whereas the GTA4 DLC and GTA5 missions just required you to do those things once at any point. If that isn't a statement on redundant attempts on 'improvements' that actually make worse gameplay - nothing else is.

19. Post
    My fave rockstar memories were definitely off the cuff style vibes, racking up stars then trying to evade police in GTA3 is still my favourite.

20. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Another negative for me when it comes to the missions is a lot of them start with Dutch saying "We need more money" even though the gang pulled off a good score in the previous mission. Where the hell did all the money go? I mean he's not spending the money on the camp. You have to use your own money for that lol.
    The game pretty clearly explains this. *shrug*

21. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Another negative for me when it comes to the missions is a lot of them start with Dutch saying "We need more money" even though the gang pulled off a good score in the previous mission.
    Yeah most of the script shit was fine for me on my first play-through - I can't even really remember coming across any graphical or physics glitches either.

Came back post Red Dead Online launch for my second take and it's been a bit lol. Dutch complaining about how poor we are when the camp has $1k in funds w/ all upgrades bought, carts launching horses into the air, horse reins never deattaching from a hitched state even after riding the horse away, horses spawning inside each other, dialogue triggering in the opposite context it should, chores glitching the F out where none of them provide any XP/honor but continue to spawn infinite amount of themselves. Felt more like a Bethesda game

And yeah considering how much the game rewards you for going off-script and exploring, the missions themselves are on rails - the number of times I've been told to hurry the F up or straight up failed while trying to get supplies and/or scout the perimeter is ridic.

They even tease you at the very start with the a couple missions giving you the options to deal with something yourself quietly / send someone in to shoot-up or w/e - but then they only repeat it a couple more times throughout the whole game

22. Post
    Still can’t get over how rockstar managed to get a new d’angelo track

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequ...emption-2/amp/

23. Post
    That's actually cool, I'd love to see some behind the scene videos, how it's made.

24. Post
    I'm on my second playthrough, doing all the side missions. The game is enormous, only now do I realise just how much I'd forgotten from the first two chapters later in the game. Just play how it comes to you naturally.

The celebration party for Sean's return is so multilayered, had to load two times just to see what all the gang members are up to. The level of detail is mind boggling.

Spoiler:

25. Post
    I missed out on so many little things in the camp including the little errands for them.

Wish I had a decent old save file.