Results 1 to 11 of 11

  1. Post
    #1

    TV reception with no aerial?

    Hi guys

    I've got average TV reception at my house. I don't have an external aerial. The cables from the internal aerial jack go down the outside of the house into some sort of cable TV box, and then into the ground.

    How does that even work? Where am I getting my reception from if not from an external aerial?! What can I do to improve the signal strength I can't actually move anything around?

  2. Post
    #2
    Install an aerial?

    The cable itself would provide some limited reception, but anything else would be an improvement (even bunny ears)

  3. Post
    #3
    Spacemonkeynzl wrote:
    Install an aerial?

    The cable itself would provide some limited reception, but anything else would be an improvement (even bunny ears)
    Yeah, it's a rental. So would have to go through the property manager for that. Do bunny ears even work with freeview? Or can you get UHF ones (or whatever frequency freeview uses).

  4. Post
    #4
    Haisley wrote:
    Do bunny ears even work with freeview? Or can you get UHF ones (or whatever frequency freeview uses).
    Yes they do. They have a loop part which is the UHF aerial, as opposed to the VHF 'bunny' ears. But they usually come as two in one sets.

    Although you still get the comical situation of having someone hold the aerial at an awkward angle in order to get clear reception.

  5. Post
    #5
    Haisley wrote:
    Hi guys

    The cables from the internal aerial jack go down the outside of the house into some sort of cable TV box, and then into the ground.

    How does that even work?
    I assume you are in the Wellington, Kapiti or Christchurch area? Cause that sounds like Vodafone's cable system which does cable TV and internet.

    As for freeview, I have used a powered UHF indoor antenna before and it worked OK. Just get the occasional glitch in picture.

    Here is one example of the type I used https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/h...rod117991.html

  6. Post
    #6
    Jizah wrote:
    I assume you are in the Wellington, Kapiti or Christchurch area? Cause that sounds like Vodafone's cable system which does cable TV and internet.

    As for freeview, I have used a powered UHF indoor antenna before and it worked OK. Just get the occasional glitch in picture.

    Here is one example of the type I used https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/h...rod117991.html
    Yeah, in Wellington burbs.

    I did a google search earlier for indoor antenna, and found that one. I bought one of the DSE UHF antenna in the past, and it did absolutely nothing in my apartment.

    Do they really need line of sight out a window to get reception?

  7. Post
    #7
    I've got bunny ears for 2 tvs getting HD, most channels are alright, Tv3 flicks in and out every once in a while.

    It all depends on your surroundings but definitely give it a shot.

  8. Post
    #8
    I just have one of these. No line of sight (there's a house between it and the transmitter), and it works fine... until I knock it a couple of cm out of the sweet spot.

    Name:  IMG_20160321_225943.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  43.3 KB

  9. Post
    #9
    You could just mount an external aerial to your washing line/fence/pole in the ground outside...

  10. Post
    #10
    Property manager is sending a sparky around to install an external aerial

  11. Post
    #11
    That should do the trick