Getting out of parking tickets: Wilson/PES parking "fine" guide/thread

Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
(11 votes)

1. Post
    If you've revoked NZTA authorization, wait and see if you get anything in the mail; if they don't send you anything, they don't have your information and hence you do not have to pay.

However, the purpose of the guide is not to say "don't pay" but rather that you "do not have to pay". It is up to the individual if they want to "risk" not paying or paying. You are guilty of trespassing according to their T&Cs. However, the exact T&Cs are built to give a sense of urgency and getting the car owner to reveal their information by themselves.

2. Post
    Senior Mouse wrote:
    If you've revoked NZTA authorization, wait and see if you get anything in the mail; if they don't send you anything, they don't have your information and hence you do not have to pay.

However, the purpose of the guide is not to say "don't pay" but rather that you "do not have to pay". It is up to the individual if they want to "risk" not paying or paying. You are guilty of trespassing according to their T&Cs. However, the exact T&Cs are built to give a sense of urgency and getting the car owner to reveal their information by themselves.
    Thanks

3. Post
    I've got one now, Checked up on the ebreach website with the rego and breach number and they take like 8 photos of your car as evidence lol.

However I was "breached" for overstaying a P60, but there's only P60 signs against the building not across the carpark where I parked.

I have done the most boring appeal ever

"Using your photographs as reference you can not see any P60 signs except against the building which would imply that only the parks against the building are a P60 zone not the entire carpark'

Company vehicle not sure if work can revoke them or not, Doubt it... personal vehicles are revoked already.

4. Post
    Tried the method of no signs etc but they wouldn’t budge - still demanded payment.

I sent the reddit copy and paster and got results.

Thank you for your recent communication regarding the above Breach Notice.
    After careful consideration of the evidence, we can confirm that it was issued in accordance with our procedures and the Terms and Conditions of parking which are displayed on the Important Notice and signage at this car park.

We note your reference of the Contract and Commercial Law Act 2017, Section 62 (3). Please be aware that this section of the legislation refers to frustrated contracts. At the time the breach notice was issued the contract was not frustrated nor had any parties been discharged from further performance of the contract.

Please note: The vehicle was parked in excess of the maximum P60 time allowed and was in breach of the Terms and Conditions.

However, the good news is, we can confirm that the Breach Notice has been waived on this occasion.

Yours faithfully

Parking Enforcement Services

5. Post
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/vehi...o-the-MVR.xlsx

I see the Great Devils wised up in 2017 and are now a registered organisation with access to the register.

Does this mean they can now get your details if you've opted out?

6. Post
    Richard7666 wrote:
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/vehi...o-the-MVR.xlsx

I see the Great Devils wised up in 2017 and are now a registered organisation with access to the register.

Does this mean they can now get your details if you've opted out?
    Opting out means you have restricted access from everyone on that list. Just means they have a different hoop to jump through to get the info (which I understand Wilson won't bother with most of the time).

Edit: 2017 was when their access was renewed. They had it before then.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 26th October 2019 at 9:39 am.

7. Post
    How does Wilson monitor that you've paid the correct amount of money for the car park?

I found out on Friday night while trying to get late night parking, that I've been paying the wrong amount for my early bird parking for months.

There is a basement and rooftop carpark in the same building. The first time i used the parkmate app, i just used gps to find the carpark. Not really thinking anything if it, as the address looked correct.

Turns out the app thought I was in the basement carpark, which is actually $3.50 cheaper per day for early bird parking. Yet I've actually been parking on the rooftop every day

Tldr - how come Wilson didn't notify me that I was paying for the wrong carpark? Are they not able to tell?

8. Post
    Has anyone been able find find any Disputes Tribunal decisions backing up Wilsons?

They've responded to my letter requesting evidence of their loss to the amount claimed ($65) stating "the breach notice fee is the cost of enforcing the car park's terms and conditions of parking. This fee is payable under the contract and is not a penalty, a fine, nor a claim for liquidated damages...this has been tested and upheld by the Disputes Tribunal when this practice has been challenged."

Cheers

9. Post
    supra_luva wrote:
    Has anyone been able find find any Disputes Tribunal decisions backing up Wilsons?

They've responded to my letter requesting evidence of their loss to the amount claimed ($65) stating "the breach notice fee is the cost of enforcing the car park's terms and conditions of parking. This fee is payable under the contract and is not a penalty, a fine, nor a claim for liquidated damages...this has been tested and upheld by the Disputes Tribunal when this practice has been challenged."

Cheers
    I haven't had any luck searching and finding any evidence of a DT hearing actually happening that involves Wilson Parking. I wonder if they mean the concept of a parking contract has been challenged and upheld, and the hearing didn't actually involve themselves.

10. Post
    like always, they are full of shit

11. Post
    Don't quote me on this, I caught the tail end of a story... In Aus. Wilsons can't issue parking tickets only "Infringements" which they put on your windscreen. Roughly translates into a "request". The infringement requests you pay the "fine"? on a due date. They cant get your address or name, so they have no idea who you are. They rely on you fronting up an paying. The only other misfortune is if you respond to the infringement and challenge it then you've acknowledged this and revealed who you are. So basically, just do nothing and drive away.

12. Post
    I parked in one a couple months ago with no intention of paying. They put something under my wiper. I put it in the bin.

A+ would park again.

13. Post
    Reddit - Wilson's Parking OIA

TLDR: Wilsons are on the list of organisations that are allowed to request the information for vehicle owners who have removed public access to the list. They have requested it only twice in the last three or four years.

So adding yourself to that list, doesn't stop Wilson's from requesting the information.

14. Post
    I forgot to pay and was issued one of the $65 specials last week - I've taken my details off the public list and appealed twice through the ebreach website, offering to pay the max daily rate and quoting the unfair fee / frustrated contract stuff, but was declined both times and its not possible to appeal through the site a 3rd time.

I don't think they have my postal address details etc, but I'm not sure what to do next, any advice?

15. Post
    ^ Ignore it?

16. Post
    pogopogopogo wrote:
    I forgot to pay and was issued one of the $65 specials last week - I've taken my details off the public list and appealed twice through the ebreach website, offering to pay the max daily rate and quoting the unfair fee / frustrated contract stuff, but was declined both times and its not possible to appeal through the site a 3rd time.

I don't think they have my postal address details etc, but I'm not sure what to do next, any advice?
    I'm in the same boat, although they have my address. I've been following the advice on this Reddit post (situation b):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/...arking_ticket/
    I just found a random customer service email on Wilson's website and have been sending them emails directly, don't bother with their appeal system.